DCI.org Fan Network

Server is working now with speed, but I can't login. You get an "OOPS" screen. Just gets better. Hope they improve on the start. They are capable of doing better.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To simplify all of this justification (or non-justification) of pricing, ask yourself this: What is it worth to you to see just one drum corps performance from the privacy of your own home? Would you pay $1? More? Less?

Think of it this way....by getting access to the eight shows that DCI is providing, you get to see no less than 120 live drum corps performances. And if they stick with what they did last year by showing finals at San Antonio and Atlanta in addition to prelims, now we're talking 144 live drum corps performances.

For $90.

Which I guess, if my math is correct, is somewhere around 65 cents a show. And this is STILL without all the other features of the plan.

Sixty-five cents a show, I don't have to worry about parking, I can get up to use the bathroom whenever I want and make whatever comments I wish without disturbing anyone, the fridge is only a quick jaunt away, and I can lounge back in my easy chair in the comfort of my living room with good friends to watch some drum corps with the AC on.

Count me in.

ANNAPOLIS, MD

The Cavaliers - Rosemont, IL

Bluecoats - N. Canton, OH

The Cadets - Allentown, PA

Carolina Crown - Ft. Mill, SC

Glassmen - Toledo, OH

Spirit from JSU - Jacksonville, AL

KALAMAZOO, MI

Blue Devils - Concord, CA

Glassmen - Toledo, OH

Cascades - Shoreline, WA

Troopers - Casper, WY

Colt Cadets - Dubuque, IA

Memphis Sound - Memphis, TN

Kilties - Oshkosh, WI

ATLANTA, GA

Blue Knights - Denver, CO

Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA

Blue Stars - LaCrosse, WI

Cascades - Shoreline, WA

Colts - Dubuque, IA

Glassmen - Toledo, OH

Madison Scouts - Madison, WI

Pioneer - Milwaukee, WI

Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL

Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara, CA

Southwind - Lexington, KY

Troopers - Casper, WY

Crossmen - San Antonio, TX

SAN ANTONIO, TX

Cascades - Shoreline, WA

Colts - Dubuque, IA

Glassmen - Toledo, OH

Mandarins - Sacramento, CA

Pioneer - Milwaukee, WI

Revolution - San Antonio, TX

Troopers - Casper, WY

The Academy - Tempe, AZ

INDIANAPOLIS, IN

Capital Sound - Madison, WI

Colt Cadets - Dubuque, IA

Colts - Dubuque, IA

Pioneer - Milwaukee, WI

STANFORD, CA

Blue Devils B - Concord, CA

Blue Devils C - Concord, CA

Cascades - Shoreline, WA

Glassmen - Toledo, OH

Mandarins - Sacramento, CA

Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA

Troopers - Casper, WY

D2/D3 PRELIMS

Blue Devils B - Concord, CA

Blue Devils C - Concord, CA

Citations - Burlington, MA

Dutch Boy - Kitchener, ON

Fever - Modesto, CA

Impulse - Buena Park, CA

Jersey Surf - Mount Holly, NJ

Jester - Phoenix, AZ

Mystikal - Long Beach, CA

Oregon Crusaders - Portland, OR

Raiders - Wayne, NJ

Racine Scouts - Racine, WI

Revolution - San Antonio, TX

Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA

Spirit of Newark/New Jersey - Linden, NJ

Spartans - Nashua, NH

Teal Sound - Thomasville, GA

Memphis Sound - Memphis, TN

Spokane Thunder - Spokane, WA

Gold - Hawthorne, CA

H.Y.P.E. - Hamilton, ON

Yokohama Scouts - Yokohama, JP

D1 SEMIFINALS

Top 17

I did not see Atlanta on the schedule...

It's the third show on the list: http://www.dci.org/media/video_schedule.cfm

OK, a couple of comments:

1. I love the new DCI site and think it is very professional, easy to navigate, and it shows that DCI is in a business. "A" for the format and creativity and overall organization of content.

2. As for the Fan Network, I think some are jumping to conclusion too quickly about what a membership will give vs cost. You can get the Gold membership, which is absolutely free, and then you can purchase the live streaming events that you wish to see. Those events will not be $20 to $30 per, but probably more like $5 per or in that ballpark. When you add that up many of you will not pay a lot more for the Gold Membership than you would have for your $30+ memberships for 3 months. And remember, we always had to buy APDs, it just cost those of us with a membership a dollar less. The good side to this is you can have a Gold Membership for nothing, and then pick and choose how you wish to spend your money, perhaps until you are convinced that there is a better benefit to the Platinum Membership. A+ for offering the two types of memberships not based on 3 months or 12 months, but now based on full year/full perks, and full year/perks by choice.

I plan to do the Gold Membership this year. It's free, and I will choose how to spend my money depending on cost, what I have, and how good the APD/Live streaming event is. I will likely cut myself off at $40 or $50, which is typically what I did with the $30 membership for 3 months.

There really are some positives here, but what I do like most is that DCI understands that services cost money and that they must set some sort of value for those services. Now, as to whether the $90 Platinum membership is worth it, I guess we will find out. But at this point none of us knows what sort of services and benefits they will be offering to those who get that.

JW

I don't know where everyone is getting that APD's are free to Platinum members. DCI.org states:

Each download will cost $2.49 for Fan Network Platinum Members and $3.49 for Gold Members.

It's still one dollar less like last year, but the prices have gone up (I think).

If the pay per view events are $15 or less, I might be able to stomach that and just get a couple events this summer. It's not like I have every weekend free this summer anyways.

I still think $90 is a lot, even with everything you get. And it's a tremendous price increase from 2006. That's what really gets me. Raise my prices slowly, DCI, and maybe I won't notice as much!

If the pay per view events are $15 or less, I might be able to stomach that and just get a couple events this summer. It's not like I have every weekend free this summer anyways.

I still think $90 is a lot, even with everything you get. And it's a tremendous price increase from 2006. That's what really gets me. Raise my prices slowly, DCI, and maybe I won't notice as much!

Or give more options.

Other than the live streaming shows I can do without everything season pass has to offer and I really don't want to pay for all the little features that I will never give a second thought.

But buying 7 shows individually at $15 a pop is more than the $90 to get everything

DCI is, after all, non-profit....

Just a clarifying point, because I see this sentiment expressed on these boards (and elsewhere!!) often.

"Non-profit", or more formally "not-for-profit" does not mean that a company cannot (or even should not) seek to make a profit. It is simply a legal distinction that signifies that the company in question is not formed for the primary purpose of seeking a profit. It has some other, over-riding, purpose -- educational, religious, charitable, etc. There is nothing wrong -- legally, morally, ethically -- with a "non-profit" seeking to make as much money as possible, as long as they use that "profit" to further the primary mission statement of the org.

Common misperception -- and your other points are still valid about whether the price is too high. The marketplace will ultimately determine that.

I didn't have season pass last year, and regretted it.

A quick question... for those who go with the Gold membership and pay for individual show webcasts, I assume this means you buy the rights only to watching it live and don't have the ability to go back afterwards and view the shows as many times as you like... is that correct? If so, it sounds to me like Platinum is what I'll be buying.

Less than 2 weeks til Annapolis - can't wait!