Cadets 2007 - Love it or Hate it?

Cadets 2007  

243 members have voted

1. 1. You've seen it...

• Love it
    • Hate it

I figured that a thread like this would be started and I knew how the show was before they played it and here are my two cents. Visually I think that they show is great. Of course there is some leaks to be plugged but for the first show, I think that they really marched their tails off. Musically I think that the show is great. the music is demanding just like Cadets usually are. They have done some watering down but that is to be expected in Drum Corps. Of course, the only problem that I have with the show is just like last year, there is too much narration. Too much talking and too much dead space. The Cadets are once again pushing the envelope which is cool, I am all for that. But they just abuse the electronics way too #### much. I wish that Hoppy would just get the message already....NARRATION IS WAY BANDO AND TAKES AWAY FROM THE DRUM CORPS EXPERIENCE! I hope that in critique, they reamed them about their narration. If they clean up and add some cool stuff, I think that they are going to be on top. They have some good competition out there for them this year but they had better do something besides this stupid narration stuff if they want to win. 2005 used narration but it wasn't over the top. 2006 was way over the top even after they took some stuff out. But whatever, we shall see what happens this summer.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

81% don't like it, 18% like it. And this is from a rather sophisticated yet sometimes harsh group of hardcore DCI fans.

Personally, I can't stand National Public Radio, every time I listen to it, it just sounds like they are belittling the audience, talking as though they were talking down to a bunch of kindergarteners. Kind of like Al Gore does.

Excessive narration in a drum corps show, when you've got arguably one of the best group of talented performers in the entire country trying to put on a show leaves me with that same feeling NPR does. Narration is a distraction in this show, let them play really, really loud, and let them march really, really fast without interuption and that would make this huge Cadets fan very, very satisfied.

I figured that a thread like this would be started and I knew how the show was before they played it and here are my two cents. Visually I think that they show is great. Of course there is some leaks to be plugged but for the first show, I think that they really marched their tails off. Musically I think that the show is great. the music is demanding just like Cadets usually are. They have done some watering down but that is to be expected in Drum Corps. Of course, the only problem that I have with the show is just like last year, there is too much narration. Too much talking and too much dead space. The Cadets are once again pushing the envelope which is cool, I am all for that. But they just abuse the electronics way too #### much. I wish that Hoppy would just get the message already....NARRATION IS WAY BANDO AND TAKES AWAY FROM THE DRUM CORPS EXPERIENCE! I hope that in critique, they reamed them about their narration. If they clean up and add some cool stuff, I think that they are going to be on top. They have some good competition out there for them this year but they had better do something besides this stupid narration stuff if they want to win. 2005 used narration but it wasn't over the top. 2006 was way over the top even after they took some stuff out. But whatever, we shall see what happens this summer.

05 - Perfect

06 - Too much

07 - Horribly flooded. Like a hippie reading poetry over some phish records.

You guys don't get it; Hopkins doesn't really CARE about the basic elements of show design anymore.

He wants to be "meaningful" in his programming. He wants to feel good about having saved something on the planet from the darkness and horror that surely awaits all those kids on the field.

So it wouldn't matter if an army of angels from Heaven came down and told him "Hoppy, the voiceovers suck." They'll stay in because, by gosh, he intends this all to MEAN something, and those words of his are the MOST important element of the show.

That is, until they are slotted in 8th or 9th with it, and he feels he is being "cheated" by the judges because of it. Then his grand design might not be that grand anymore....

"Look! I'm an athlete for God!!!" :ph34r:

Edited by hughesmr

That is, until they are slotted in 8th or 9th with it, and he feels he is being "cheated" by the judges because of it. Then his grand design might not be that important anymore....

I really respect what Hopkins has done up to this point, but....

He better start changing soon, because I can't see that alumni, fans, or membership putting up with low scoring shows and bad reviews for much more. I see retirement in his future, very soon. He will get frustrated and he will pass the director position off to megh soon. Then, the Cadets will be classic again.

I would've liked the show a whole lot better if those stupid horns and drums would've stopped playing every time the narrator tried to say something.

[/sarcasm]

81% don't like it, 18% like it. And this is from a rather sophisticated yet sometimes harsh group of hardcore DCI fans.

DCP is also a very small subsection of the total drum corps audience who tend to be against change.

Forget how stupid it may sound and accept the whole show.
Soooo... you want us to "forget how stupid it may sound" but still accept the "whole" show? The "whole" show is narration! :ph34r: