Cadets 2007 - Love it or Hate it?

Cadets 2007  

243 members have voted

1. 1. You've seen it...

• Love it
    • Hate it

did anyone else notice that there were a lot of references to religion?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I watched the show I couldn't help but think I had seen it before.....

To me, it looked like they ripped off one of those Marine Corps recruitment advertisements on TV (like the one guy who's fighting that giant fire monster on a bridge or what it takes to cut a diamond). Only instead of 30 seconds of brain-washing you into the military, it was nearly 11 minutes of drum corps cliches.

Another thing, I love Blue Shades (even though it's been mangled so many times that it's almost indistinguishable from the original and they only play the same #### part/shade. It's more than one #### shade of blue - that's the point!!!), but how does Blue Shades fit into the design of their show? I guess they'll have to explain/force the judge on that point.

Also, it was hard to tell (because I only got to see the show via webcast - Thanks DCI!), but were the narrations done by members of the hornline and people marching? I only ask this because all of the narrators seemed ridiculously out of breath as they were shouting into the mic (especially towards the end).

Hey, at least there isn't any singing this time around (yet!).

did anyone else notice that there were a lot of references to religion?

I did notice that a lot of segments seemed to deal with "identity politics", such as race, gender, sexual orientation, etc...

This show isn't going for a concept or a theme its going about the teachings of drum corps, a way of life. Nothing like this has ever been done before. Its trying to explain an idea to the audience, give a real insight into drumcorps. This isn't a show, its an experience.

Forget how stupid it may sound and accept the whole show. I know we're all too cool to admit that we love music as much as that kid in the closer or that we never felt something click like it does with a new group or team that we're part of.

This show is breaking boundaries by forgetting whats "cool" or :taboo: to say and just says it. It IS what drum corps feels like. Something magical happens when every single corps member out there picks up his or her horn. I bet you some kid out there even loves the basics block. And I bet you that you had no idea someone from Japan would be just like you.

It may be a bando show. Guess what, its about US. WE'RE ALL BANDOS whether you like it or not.

Gee - I thought a show was supposed to convey that magic without an explanation.

It's like a comedian telling the audience why the joke is supposed to be funny. Kind of kills the joke.

I still say:

Add a West Side Story/To Tame the Perilous Skies lick at the conclusion, go into a high brass-low brass chord exchange, and then turn backfield and do the whole In the Spring When the Kings Go Off to War thing, then face back front and place a rip-your-face off final 20 measures that ends in the X with the 4 people in the middle doind a diamond cutter. Then, classic Garfield battery-lick ending.

:ph34r:

BTW, Where is exultate? Did I miss it in the mess of narration or is it not on the field yet?

I still say:

Add a West Side Story/To Tame the Perilous Skies lick at the conclusion, go into a high brass-low brass chord exchange, and then turn backfield and do the whole In the Spring When the Kings Go Off to War thing, then face back front and place a rip-your-face off final 20 measures that ends in the X with the 4 people in the middle doind a diamond cutter. Then, classic Garfield battery-lick ending.

:rock:

BTW, Where is exultate? Did I miss it in the mess of narration or is it not on the field yet?

That'd be ######!!!!

:lol::lol::ph34r:

I hated the narration, but the show won't work without it, either. It's written to give background time for the vocals, and without them, it'll fall flat.

I hated the narration (yes, I'll say it again), but still, even though it was horribly cheesy and preachy at times, it gave a lot of insight into the performer's mind, and it was almost like you were right there in that uniform.

I hated the narration... and, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really, really liked the show.

I'd like to get the perspective of someone completely outside of drum corps -- or even far outside of music. I wonder if the points will get across to them.

Right! And what is that amazing thing?

"No one can hear me play because of some goddamned narrator!"

:ph34r: