The Cavaliers 2007 Show

Glad to hear that wasn't the real ending.

I still like the music, but the drill didn't seem to be the typical Cavalier drill that I've come to expect from them. I'm not talking dirt (of which there was) but just the overall picture. Is there a penalty for forming up on a yardline too many times? They had to have been awfully close. And I don't think I've seen them stand still and play so much since the early 80s.

The visual package just doesn't seem up to the Cavalier standard and I hope that gets fixed because I love the potential of this show! I really do hope they make some big changes.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I. Love. This. Show.

Tonight I gave them multiple standing O's, clapped throughout the entire show, bobbed my head the entire time, and did the fists in the air thing...in my basement. It was so refreshing to see a real drum corps come and show everyone how it's done. Music? Spectacular. Drill? Spectacular. Total package? It's all there. Add a closer and we have our 2007 silver medalists.

So are you saying that it's okay to talk in a drum corps show:

1) if done right

2) if not amplified

3) saying 1 word

4) ^0^

5) :sshh:

:ph34r: All I said was that the audience freaked out when the corps said "Pressure."

I have an opinion on voice in Drum Corps...but I won't post it here because I don't believe that EVERY thread should devolve into a "Bash the Cadets as much as possible" thread.

Did you know the Bluecoats used police whistles, and had an amplified vocal line in their show in their how?!?!?!?!?! ZOMG!!!!!!!!! It was amplified...it was more than one word...and it was done right...and it still sounded cool.

The 2007 Cadets voice? Actually...I kinda liked it...it had it's hits and misses...but I still thought it was cool. I can't wait to see it live.

:ph34r: All I said was that the audience freaked out when the corps said "Pressure."

I have an opinion on voice in Drum Corps...but I won't post it here because I don't believe that EVERY thread should devolve into a "Bash the Cadets as much as possible" thread.

Did you know the Bluecoats used police whistles, and had an amplified vocal line in their show in their how?!?!?!?!?! ZOMG!!!!!!!!! It was amplified...it was more than one word...and it was done right...and it still sounded cool.

The 2007 Cadets voice? Actually...I kinda liked it...it had it's hits and misses...but I still thought it was cool. I can't wait to see it live.

I'm not really bashing. I was being playful. Bluecoats amplified vocal was okay. I was a little thrown off by it, but they did something similiar in '05.

Cadets show will get better when they "subtract" some of the narration. For the record, I've loved most of the Cadets shows from '80-'05. I mean really loved the shows. I respect the performers. Okay!?! b**bs

i just want them to march and play

w/Stp:

It actually started to genuinely annoy me about 2/3 of the way through. How many times do I have to watch easy marching with hard music, and jazz running with drum solos. I think they possibly had the least simulaneous demand of any corps out there tonight (i know that sounds terribly ignorant, but i think its either the truth, or not far from it). I just hope the either add some horn parts back in, or fill it up with something. ugh, I dont know what to say. Ill attempt a more complete review tommorow.

Understood. I generally have a certain attitude about this particular forum, that fact that I am here is a minor miracle (I'm actually killing time until I can get more scores...then I'm leaving).

I'm also really sensitive about Corps-bashing (which is why I generally don't come here, because that's all most of the posters here do).

Sorry about the stinging reply. Consider it a broad message to the people who can't get over changes.

Sorry again. The performers ARE what it's all about...thats why Personal Opinion and Public Forums don't mix...that's what PM's are for. :ph34r:

I was far more impressed with the music than I'd thought I would be. I think the selection and choice of musical direction is going to allow the Cavaliers to sell this show stylistically in a way that they haven't really been able to do with original music. I'm thinking by the time this is done, this show will be more like 2004's Bond show, in the way the music is able to connect with the audience.

This years music is fantastic, Richard Saucedo did some incredible things with that music to make it a perfect fit for the Cavaliers. There are a lot of great things about this show.

Actually, it kind of reminds me of old time drum corps... The corps moving right up to the edge of the field, LOUD, that laid back playing right to the audience feel... I also liked all the throwbacks to previous shows.

The music seemed effective to me...I think Saucedo and Casella found a good balance for this show.

w/Stp:

It actually started to genuinely annoy me about 2/3 of the way through. How many times do I have to watch easy marching with hard music, and jazz running with drum solos. I think they possibly had the least simulaneous demand of any corps out there tonight (i know that sounds terribly ignorant, but i think its either the truth, or not far from it). I just hope the either add some horn parts back in, or fill it up with something. ugh, I dont know what to say. Ill attempt a more complete review tommorow.

That's not the truth, that's your opinion buddy. I think they did pretty good with the music and drill. And THAT is just my opinion...not the truth.