Madison Scouts 2007

Dan, please note she referred to the years 2003-2006. Not just 2006.

I stand by my assertion that the lack of alumni involvement predated the Sal Salas and Bob Wall years of the Scouts. Thank goodness that appears to be over.

Correct Jim, and I said the same thing.

So if I am to infer correctly from what youve written that Alumni were lacking in our support of the corps, I would say perhaps you dont understand that the Alumni Association was not strong for many years (even during the Stewart years) but that MSARP IMO made up in a big way for much of that. All we can do is hope that it continues to grow stronger.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is another poster who thinks you hit the nail squarely!!! I was with another corps that did not take Mr. Stewart's advice....and that corps is gone.

The 95 crowd response said it...as did EVERY year of the Scouts...even the 2000 show got huge crowd responses.........I can think of no corps that received crowd responses, year after year, at the level of those received by Madison. Now, it is just polite applause.

One of the loudest and most thunderous applauses in DCI Finals history was the performance of the '95 Madison Scouts. Madison in the mid 90's had the audiences in America in the palm of their hands, if not the judges. Then Madison came to a crossroads. Would they maintain their mutual love affair with the vast amount of audiences they encountered by playing and performing their typical in your face Drum Corps with recognizeable music or would they try and reinvent themselves in hopes of higher placements. From all public reports, there were strong philosophical differences among the leadership at Madison in the late 90's, and after much reflection, Madison opted to scrap the in your face music that Madison was known for, and instead brought in new management, new staff. Madison decided they would try and march like the Cavaliers, play like the Blue Devils, and even change their uniform.... by even softening the colors . The Madison " edginess " was gone, it's uniform softening so tragically symbolic. In the process, despite moments of advancement, it basically was a Corps on a course that was leading to a loss of it's unique identity..... to the point now of being essentially unrecognizeable. And sadly as you said, in the process the Madison Scouts slowly but surely....... lost themselves. They don't sound like the Madison Scouts, look like the Madison Scouts, entertain like the Madison Scouts,....... and they lost their way where even the pandering attempt to the DCI judges has failed them. Somewhere out there, Scott Stewart is saying......." I told you all it would come to this, but you didn't listen ".Here's one poster that hopes the Madison Scouts can go back to the drawing board in the off season and ask themselves one question....... " What was it that made the Madison Scouts so endearing to Drum Corps audiences and made us so competitive for half a century " ? I believe that the phrase " placement " and " judges " will not be the first thing that comes to mind that answers that question.

And here is yet another one. Just like with all the doom talk of Spirit, we really won't know what's going to happen and whether or not a corps is off the radar for another two or three weeks yet. Spirit of course has less distance and a better chance to pick things up than Madison but even so, I can't even begin to count the corps who have started slow at the beginning of the year and surprised everyone at the end. I also can't begin to count the corps that started strong out of the gate and failed miserably come time for Championships. Let's face it, NONE of our opinions on "what's going to happen" (that includes mine) are worth a hill of beans right now. Can we at least agree on that much? Probably not...but worth asking anyway.

I really don't care if the Scouts come in 18th, 14th, 12th, or any other place. I will continue to fully support them. I think the state of the whole organization is now on solid footing. This year's show has a lot of potential, and from the camps, rehearsals, and show that I have been at, I think the guys have their heads on straight. From talking to a guy I know in the snareline, I could tell at the Racine show that it had really sunk in to him what is going on. He had called me after their first two shows, and was telling me about them singing 'May You Never Walk', and said that had made everything worth it for him already. Of course, they want to get better, but they aren't score mongers. It really has been amazing to me to see the improvement of the drumline - yes, there are still some hairy spots, but they are so much more confident now.

Oh, about scores, I work with a guy who marched Scouts from 02-06. Guess what his favorite year was??

No, not the 6th place from 05, but the 14th place from 02.

Scores don't make a drum corps season, and scores don't make a Madison Scout.

And here is yet another one. Just like with all the doom talk of Spirit, we really won't know what's going to happen and whether or not a corps is off the radar for another two or three weeks yet. Spirit of course has less distance and a better chance to pick things up than Madison but even so, I can't even begin to count the corps who have started slow at the beginning of the year and surprised everyone at the end. I also can't begin to count the corps that started strong out of the gate and failed miserably come time for Championships. Let's face it, NONE of our opinions on "what's going to happen" (that includes mine) are worth a hill of beans right now. Can we at least agree on that much? Probably not...but worth asking anyway.

What??? You should care...we should all care. Anyone who tells you that they don't care if a certain corps makes finals isn't telling the truth. The truth of the matter is that if you look at the corps who were perennial finalists who have folded, they all missed finals for a couple of years & then they were gone...27, Bridgemen, Guardsmen, etc...missing finals is not good for the corps or it's members, especially in todays DCI monopolistic drum corps environment. Back in the day when there were 500 corps in the US, it wasn't that big of a deal to not make finals because there were 75 other Division 1 corps who didn't make it...today, 7 division 1 corps miss finals.

Here's hoping that Madison can bring it in the second half!

What??? You should care...we should all care. Anyone who tells you that they don't care if a certain corps makes finals isn't telling the truth. The truth of the matter is that if you look at the corps who were perennial finalists who have folded, they all missed finals for a couple of years & then they were gone...27, Bridgemen, Guardsmen, etc...missing finals is not good for the corps or it's members, especially in todays DCI monopolistic drum corps environment. Back in the day when there were 500 corps in the US, it wasn't that big of a deal to not make finals because there were 75 other Division 1 corps who didn't make it...today, 7 division 1 corps miss finals.

Here's hoping that Madison can bring it in the second half!

I referenced the wrong post but you get the idea...

The Board forced the first part of everydays 06 to be at the Alliant Center, where there were no practice fields and only asphalt lots. Result, loss of 10 very good brass players due to injuries.

With all due respect, I know that the Scouts had everydays at MATC for MANY years...and we rehearsed on....asphalt lots.

Now let's be fair. I don't think that Madison is in any danger of folding. They've been paying their taxes, right? (JOKE!)

Madison will not fold, the alumni will not let it happen. And as for this year's show, it's good. There may be issues that need fixing, but the show design is not part of it.

Oswego results:

Pac Crest 66.65

Scouts 66.55

Ouch

Oswego results:

Pac Crest 66.65

Scouts 66.55

Ouch

well, 1/10th may be a little pinch, but not as painful as all that.

I wouldn't call 1/10th of a point an insurmountable lead over the Scouts... if you're basing who's "good" and who must be "bad" on placement only last night.