Madison Scouts 2007

You say "no slight meant" but there is. You're saying that the only reason SW or any of the corps above them beat Madison is because the Scouts have "fallen into the depths". I don't know, call me silly, but maybe SW and the others beat them because they are better then the Scouts. Maybe this will change in the weeks to come, maybe not.

"Having a good Madison Scouts squad helps the activity"? Well duh! Sure it does. But so does having a good SW, Cascades, Pac Crest, Troopers, [add any corps here]. They way you put it, the demise of the Scouts is the first sign of the Apocalypse of drum corps. Sorry, I hate to break it to you but DCI would not cease to exist if the Scouts didn't make semis or finals. Suncoast, Star, Freelancers, 2-7, Bridgemen, Cadets (JUST KIDDING!!!) and many other corps, big and small, have left the drum corps scene for one reason or another and yet... DCI has continued on.

And so will the Scouts. It may take time or it may even happen this season, but the Scouts will be back. Heck, to some the Scouts haven't even left. The score doesn't make the corps. The members, staff and fans make the corps. I learned that in my years with VF, The Dons and The Renegades. But saying other corps are beating them only because the Scouts are having a bad season instead of saying, "Wow SW beat the Scouts. They must have a good show" doesn't help anyone.

Just my 2 cents worth and I hope I made sense.

I guess I did not make my point clearly. I am very excited as an ex-member of Southwind that they were able to pull ahead of a former DCI champion, and a corps that has been a perrenial powerhouse. I am just not as excited because Southwind is still in the position they have been in for a while (semi-finals) instead of breaking the top 12 to accomplish this feat. It seems that the fact that Southwind beat Madison appears not to be because Southwind has improved greatly, but because Madison appears to be having a very down year for their organization. I am more excited that Southwind's drumline has been consistently beating many corps that they have not normally been beating. That part of the corps has apparently improved greatly; however, Southwind as a whole has not been ahead of many corps this year that they typically are not ahead of. Madison is the exception to this. Again, leading credence to my original point which is, I would much rather Southwind be in the top 7 and beating Madison, then hovering around 19-20 and beating Madison.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry - I am NOT wrong - I was there - were you??

Anonymous snipers can say anything. Without a name, your posts carry zero credability. :)

I guess I did not make my point clearly. I am very excited as an ex-member of Southwind that they were able to pull ahead of a former DCI champion, and a corps that has been a perrenial powerhouse. I am just not as excited because Southwind is still in the position they have been in for a while (semi-finals) instead of breaking the top 12 to accomplish this feat. It seems that the fact that Southwind beat Madison appears not to be because Southwind has improved greatly, but because Madison appears to be having a very down year for their organization. I am more excited that Southwind's drumline has been consistently beating many corps that they have not normally been beating. That part of the corps has apparently improved greatly; however, Southwind as a whole has not been ahead of many corps this year that they typically are not ahead of. Madison is the exception to this. Again, leading credence to my original point which is, I would much rather Southwind be in the top 7 and beating Madison, then hovering around 19-20 and beating Madison.

Is that similar to those teams (many) that beat my Cincinnati Reds this year saying they've beat

"the big Red machine"?

(Just curious) If you were there, why didn't you speak up about it at that time?

Why now? Honestly, if I were "there" and just sat on my hands or bit my lip-I'd be ashamed to admit it now-especially as an alumnus...

Is that similar to those teams (many) that beat my Cincinnati Reds this year saying they've beat

"the big Red machine"?

Sure, also, it is similar to a few years ago when my Southern Miss Golden Eagles went to Nebraska and beat the Cornhuskers on the first game of the seaspn. I was astonished and very excited about USM's season. However, that year Nebraska was having a very big "off year" and a lot of teams beat them, and USM was about where they have been, a consistently good mid-major team that has yet to move into the national spotlight on a regular basis. Now Nebraska has rebuilt and I would be much happier if USM had beat a Nebraska team of high quality. It is one thing to say you beat a team with a historically excellent reputation, but it just isn't the same if that organization is having an atypically down year and the organization that beat them has not raised their level to match what is expected typically from the "Big Boy" that was defeated.

What is so wrong with saying the other reason corps a is corps b is because b is having a very off year. It's true, Madison isn't having the year of their life and I think the members of SW know that. Is it still fun to say you've beat/beating Madison yeah I'm sure it is...but in the back of their minds I'm sure they know it's mostly because of Madison not SW.

**No harm to SW**

Surely you must know some of what happened. If not, then you don't know!

Madison's avg age this year is 16.. WOW.

I think this is probably the main reason they are having a rough start.

Not that they aren't good, just a lack of vets with experience.

Madison's avg age this year is 16.. WOW.

I'm curious - how do you know that???