Bluecoats win Centerville!

Never post here, but I have to put in a shout out to the Bloo Crew! This old alum is sure looking forward to sitting in your section on finals night.

^OO^

Any other fellow 'Coats from the early 90's trekking out to Pasadena?

Wow! This occasion has brought a bunch of old names out of the woodwork. And not just you, Jay.

I can't say it any better than has been said already. But congrats to all Bluecoats. I am proud.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone who was at the show tonight give a brass performance (not brass book) review?

Preferably as unbiased as possible. B)

I've heard that the Devs line is pretty loud this year, and also very talented. Any takes?

Sure, I thought the brass performance numbers were pretty good tonight. BD is loud, very loud, but mainly due to the fact that they stand and play so much. Cavies have balance issues, but great individual acocomplishments (i.e. soloists). Bluecoats were lush, thick, well balanced but still need one more dynamic level. There still have some cleaning to do, but conversely to BD its because they are moving so much. That's a quick hit.

DW

I do love to play devil's advocate, and though I'm not disregarding The Bluecoats' win or playing it down to meaning nothing, because this is very historical, but corps are known to "peak" early in the season (it is barely July) and then die out by finals. Whether this happens or not we shall see. It has happened to probably every top corps there is, so I'm not bashing the top 6 newbie whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure that the Bluecoats have not really been known to "peak" especially not in the last few years. Particularly on finals week. For the last 3 years they have not been in the same place in semis as they were on finals (with the exception of '05, but they were tied with Madison for 5th)

Top 6 newbie? They've been in the top 6 for 3 (almost 4 years now)

I do love to play devil's advocate, and though I'm not disregarding The Bluecoats' win or playing it down to meaning nothing, because this is very historical, but corps are known to "peak" early in the season (it is barely July) and then die out by finals. Whether this happens or not we shall see. It has happened to probably every top corps there is, so I'm not bashing the top 6 newbie whatsoever.

This HAS happened from time to time to certain corps, but what would lead you to believe (especially if you've seen the shows) that the Bluecoats would be vulnerable to an early season peak? Just curious, because the more I watch Cavies and BD, those are the shows I'd be worried about peaking. Think about it.

DW

Just be careful what you say now, the 'Coats have slowed down in the past despite very strong early showings - I haven't seen this years show, so I won't comment on it.

I will say that you need to carefully consider what you say - it is great that you are excited, as you should be - but the things you say are reflecting on the group as well (one of the negatives of putting your affiliation in your signature). I don't know you personally, but I'd wager you are as much a homer as the rest of us and that your opinions will be jaded by a bit of blue. That's fine, as long as you realize it.

Always remmember that DCP has a long memory, and the things you say now will likely be quoted come August if things don't go Blue's way. After all, most of these groups are as close to first as they are to seventh.

So does that leave Phantom as the best corps never to be beat by Bluecoats?

This HAS happened from time to time to certain corps, but what would lead you to believe (especially if you've seen the shows) that the Bluecoats would be vulnerable to an early season peak? Just curious, because the more I watch Cavies and BD, those are the shows I'd be worried about peaking. Think about it.

DW

In my honest opinion, I think they are very good at what they are doing, but what they are doing lacks depth. I also think the show is bland. I wasn't going to bring that into this thread seeing as this is a very congratulatory thread and I myself am happy that they won, but you did ask.

All the Cadets Homers ( and Cavies and SCV... etc.) need to step off and let Bloo have it's day season.

Tonight is monumental. The last active corps that Bluecoats has never beaten has been defeated. WOW!!!!! I just got home and saw this. TRAVIS, thanks for your service. Ken Dahl, I did not know you were blueoriginal until tonight. I cannot lie, I teared up a bit when I saw the scores, and laughed, and jumped around a bit.

GO GET"EM BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*flame bait removed TS

I am not a "Cadet homer" nearly as much as some other people in this thread. I stick up for corps when they get unnecessarily roughed up and even boo'd at the 2006 Finals competition.

I completely agree this night is monumental, however, I also agree that it is still very early in the season, and A LOT could change in two days, let alone over a month. Granted this could go for every corps, but you at least have to consider that things might not PERFECTLY for the Bluecoats. Sheesh.