BlueStars 2015 "Side Show"

brians

FSU-

Are you being realistic or asserting your own preferences. I don't gleen what you conclude anywhere from what Blue Stars actually announced. Show me.

"The Blue Stars Drum & Bugle Corps is excited to announce its 2015 program SIDE SHOW. The corps will present a look at both the spectators and the spectacles of a 1930s traveling carnival, showcasing a thrilling range of characters and their many diverse talents."

Edited by xandandl

I sure hope they use more props next year. Cluttering the field more than the next corps seems like a recipe for success.

If you look at 2013, Crown had fewer props tons BD and won. They had more props this past year and took home 5th. This past year SCV had props galore and a 4th place finish, Bloo had triangle ramps that were moved, rather sparse looking if we're honest, and they placed 2nd. Cadets had a stage and where it was not all that popular a show (my guess is time may look more favorably on this show than some fans did this past year) many saw that as cluttered where as Blue Stars who had props galore placed 9th.

I'm sure we'll see props with this show, but if used right they will not clutter, but I do think I know what you mean and would agree that if anything, we will see more props and the use of props may become more and more important in the next few years.

FSU-

Are you being realistic or asserting your own preferences. I don't gleen what you conclude anywhere from what Blue Stars actually announced. Show me.

"The Blue Stars Drum & Bugle Corps is excited to announce its 2015 program SIDE SHOW. The corps will present a look at both the spectators and the spectacles of a 1930s traveling carnival, showcasing a thrilling range of characters and their many diverse talents."

Just an observation from the title and the picture they released. Doesn't really scream happy show to me. Seems like a side show would lend itself to a darker, more edgy show. I have no insider information or anything. I saw similar comments from multiple other posters here, but it's all just speculation at this point.

Even happy cheery carnivals are sorta creepy. I mean com'on. Clowns.

bozo.jpg

Just an observation from the title and the picture they released. Doesn't really scream happy show to me. Seems like a side show would lend itself to a darker, more edgy show. I have no insider information or anything. I saw similar comments from multiple other posters here, but it's all just speculation at this point.

Look at you tube Pride of Cinn. " Side Show" great example of what you are saying

The musical Side Show is being revived on Broadway this fall... currently at the Kennedy Center.

I'm glad someone thought to mention that Henry Krieger-Bill Russell play, whose website is adorned with following blurbs:

"An intoxicating experience! A glorious comeback for an important American musical."--The Washington Post

"Erin Davie and Emily Padgett... lead a first-rate cast! With their inspiring soprano voices, comedic timing, and obvious compatibilities... the two are thoroughly convincing."--Variety

"Strongly acted, powerfully sung… emotionally stirring!"-- The New York Times

"This Side Show excels at making its audience confront their discomfort: It's nearly impossible to avoid marveling at the performers."-- Washingtonian

That's what came to mind when I saw this announcement. Seems like they're mixing Pulse and American Horror Story together. Could be good, could be really weird. Hoping for more dark, edgy shows in DCI

Before the announcement I was hoping BS would go with something dark and edgy for 2015. There is allot of room for darkness in a sideshow/freakshow production, but idk if the design team will delve into that side of things. That being said, I haven't been this excited after one of their pre season show announcements since Houdini. Can't wait!

• Like 1

Ah, I probably was hoping you had some insider info, :-)

Dark or light, maybe we just went to different circuses; although I grant you that many in the arts world have struggles with dealing with "happy" themes and seem more comfortable with exploring the tragedies and darkness of life.