Trombones 2016

. I personally think that fans who freak out over the mere idea of change is a little goofy for an activity that has thrived on pushing creative ideas and changing perception on what is possible on a marching field.

Its goofy ( imo ) to believe that most long time and loyal fans " freaked out " with all the changes. While some did, quite a few just simply quietly up and left going to the shows, and following the activity. Heck, 95% of the friends that I know, stopped going to the shows, and only about a third of them still complain about the loss of an activity that they once loved with a passion. Yes, DCI of late has replaced a portion of the ones that have exited over the years, but not completely.... as DCI live Championships attendance is still down from its heyday, and coupled with DCI's loss of live and taped television, its lost additional thousands more of its total viewers.( theatre attendance not a 10th of the numbers that TV used to reach for example ). Change is not a zero sum game, lets remember, and DCI has undeniably not made up for the loss of legions of its once loyal fans that have simply spoken.... and silently too in many cases.... with their feet.

Edited by BRASSO

Not a fan of what I’ve seen of trombone in corps so far, only exception was the solo from Spirit

Madison didn’t convince me, SCV was more a visual gimmick that felt wasteful or a scam to re-sell them later

Nice to see corps using the new rules to be innovative by copying each other again

• Like 2

Not a fan of what I’ve seen of trombone in corps so far, only exception was the solo from Spirit

Madison didn’t convince me, SCV was more a visual gimmick that felt wasteful or a scam to re-sell them later

Nice to see corps using the new rules to be innovative by copying each other again

A very valid point. What's new becomes "old" very quick. Everyone copies copies copies

I think it all comes down to how they are used. Personally, I think some of the features and solos have been nice and the trombone made it pop in a way a baritone wouldn't quite be able to replicate. Using trombones simply because you can, however, is where things get a bit sticky.

Lol @ the username relevance.

I certainly don't think they've detracted anything, and if they give us solos like the one in the middle of Blue Knights show this past season I welcome them.

• Like 1

Since the rules were changed to allow the trombones, to my ears t-bones have not been as effective as the various uses of the French horn by several corps. Few shows have impressed me that not using trombones would have meant a big difference in sound and effect. At least I can't remember any that were stellar. I suspect 2016 will be different completely.

Because of the slide motion of the trombone, they are relegated to a standstill performance in most cases. Others have posted that their sound projection demands a mic or a front sideline position. Perhaps 2016 will present new possibilities and applications.

Edited by xandandl

I am vehemently opposed to allowing Tom Jones into DCI . First of all, he's overage, and second of all, there is nothing new with his pussycat.

IMO, there has been no advantage (in show design) with the switch away from bugles. There is nothing, now, that can't be played on a bugle. With bugles, there was no need to amplify or enhance brass lines with electronics.

• Like 1

IMO, there has been no advantage (in show design) with the switch away from bugles. There is nothing, now, that can't be played on a bugle. With bugles, there was no need to amplify or enhance brass lines with electronics.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really?!?! If you can't hear the difference in SIGNIFICANTLY better intonation and characteristic ensemble sound between any-key brass and G brass (I assume you mean 3 valve bugles and not actual non-valve bugles because your argument gets even more ridiculous if you think the 0 valve/0piston/rotor legit signal bugles = better sound than what we have now) then you've perhaps either experience substantial hearing loss from your days of being around G horn lines or you are viewing the past via rose-colored glasses (or rose-colored earphones?)

I don't think it's much of a coincidence that Crown and Bluecoats have come to be perennial Top 5 finishers not long after any-key brass went legal. Also, the overall sound quality from the middle and bottom of the brass pack now compared to even just a few decades ago (when everyone was on 3 valve brass), let alone eras with 2, 1, or zero valves is much improved IMO.

I can get being hesitant to jump on the trombone band wagon, as there hasn't been enough of a sampling to sell some folks on its definite "necessity" to be added into the drum corps mix. But to dismiss changes & improvement in brass sound between now & bugles seems crazy to me: like maybe you're clutching to your past/favorite era or whatever too much to step back and really evaluate what's going on right now

:doh:

• Like 3