Show Meanings

In the Bluecoats production during "Being for the benefit of Mr. Maps" (I know it's not that but something along those lines). What is vocally being said?

It's "An Animated Description of Mr. Maps" by The Books

It's excerpted from the lyrics. I think they do the "you can call me brother now" tag but most of the percussion bit is the actual description from the persons wanted listing for Mr. Maps. The song is full of all sorts of great stories, like most things The Books do.

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858564244/

Edited by KVG_DC

This isn't a concert. That's my point. This is a performance art with staging. For example, if you stage Gorecki's Symphony No. 3 in any performance context other than its original intention, you're exposing yourself to authenticity issues. .

No kidding. But so what ? Can't we likewise say that none of the classical composers envisioned their classical symphony works to be played outdoors by Marching Bands on football fields sans conventional Symphony Orchestra instrumentation ? ALL of 'em ? If you are looking for classical purity, ie " authenticity issues ", you won't find such in ANY Corps productions, except perhaps Composer Sousa's intent. Even in the modern age, did the Rolling Stones envision their composition " Paint it Black " to be played without Rock Guitars ? Probably not. Thus, there was no " authenticity " with this. But so what ? Most fans in Drum Corps ( including myself ) liked Carolina Crown's brass rendition just fine. Virtually none of Phantom Regiment's Classical Music pieces played over the years were made for Marching Band instrumentation. They were made mostly for the conventional Symphony Orchestra instrumentation. For just another example, how can one do " Phantom of the Opera " in performance without any singing at all ? Was this ever Webber's original " intent " ? Of course not. But we all leave our quest for true " authenticity " and purity at the stadium gate when we enter these football fields to watch these Marching Brass Bands ( Corps) go up and down the field. At least one would HOPE so anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

No kidding. But so what ?

TIME MAGAZINE
Gustavo Dudamel: The Natural
By EBEN HARRELL/EDINBURGH
Thursday, Aug. 23, 2007
Any successful performance of Shostakovich's 10th must reflect its historical context: Stalin's purges; some 20 million dead; a composer who lived in constant fear of the knock on the door. "Muchachos," Dudamel says, searching for the right expression. "Pop pop pop!" he says, mimicking the sound of a firing squad.
---
(Dudamel was Hopkins' inspiration for selecting this piece.) It just can't be any more painfully clear. "Must reflect." Not "it's up to interpretation". Not "some people interpret it this way or that way." There is one ineluctable context for this piece, and it is the Russian Holocaust under Stalin. That's why there are no dance concerts to Shostakovich's 10th. Because anybody knows that a visual interpretation must reference the atrocity.
This piece was not fully researched by Cadets' design team. Plain and simple.
A rudimentary Google search nets this gasp-inducing series of imagery of Shostakovich's Russia. You can't make silkscreen flags out of this stuff. http://www.onlinefootage.tv/stock-video-footage/1950/1937-stalin-the-dictator-victims-of-joseph-stalin-s-great-purge-repression-in-the-soviet-union
Edited by Channel3

TIME MAGAZINE
Gustavo Dudamel: The Natural
By EBEN HARRELL/EDINBURGH
Thursday, Aug. 23, 2007
Any successful performance of Shostakovich's 10th must reflect its historical context: Stalin's purges; some 20 million dead; a composer who lived in constant fear of the knock on the door. "Muchachos," Dudamel says, searching for the right expression. "Pop pop pop!" he says, mimicking the sound of a firing squad.
---
(Dudamel was Hopkin's inspiration for selecting this piece.) It just can't be any more painfully clear. "Must reflect." Not "it's up to interpretation". Not "some people interpret it this way or that way." There is one ineluctable context for this piece, and it is the Russian Holocaust under Stalin. That's why there are no dance concerts to Shostakovich's 10th. Because anybody knows that a visual interpretation must reference the atrocity.
This piece was not fully researched by Cadets' design team. Plain and simple.
A rudimentary Google search nets this gasp-inducing series of imagery of Shostakovich's Russia. You can't make silkscreen flags out of this stuff. http://www.onlinefootage.tv/stock-video-footage/1950/1937-stalin-the-dictator-victims-of-joseph-stalin-s-great-purge-repression-in-the-soviet-union

Look, Mr. Blue Devils Fan. Get off your chair or platform or blue high horse a second.

First, the Cadets staff did know about the biography of Dmitri, and about the historical context, politics, etc. Every educated person does. And it's been discussed - and in no small part due to me - at length on these boards, mainly in the Cadets thread. Also, I did, in fact, email Hop about this in November, and posted on this board. I got clobbered and ridiculed by suggesting that the show design must be about the music - one (the voice of Dmitri, D S C H, and all) versus the many (the State, collective, faceless) etc. And that it was about state terror and all that. Not a single person on the Cadets staff - or on this forum - supported my point. People with influence said, without naming names, that the show should NOT be about history or politics, etc. That this is "just drum corps" and implied that the meaning of the show was just politics, even though, say, last year's show was dripping with politics. I guess if it's about 'Merica, it's OK. Whatever.

In my mind, the "10" theme was arbitrary and incoherent and led to a guard program, for example, that isn't interesting enough to attract the very best talent, and thus you have a weak link. And you have GE struggles. Etc.

In my opinion, every issue the Cadets have this year can be traced to the design decision that was made - for better or worse - last fall.

Too bad, I think. Wasted opportunity to have meaning and narration and real emotion in the show, instead of incoherence and abstraction.

The "10" decision cost them gold.

What if, say, they titled the show, and carefully avoided the rah-rah patriotic drek that has buried so many a Cadets show in recent years, "E Pluribus Unum" and carried the One vs Many theme through the entire show, solo vs tutti, freedom vs tyrrany, etc. SO many oppositions to inspire design ideas that actually connect with the music.

Alas, though, yet another year of squandered talent and an inept show design from the Cadets staff.

And alas, the Cadets have ceded their longtime role as innovators in DCI, and instead, have become the corps that thinks that marketing is show design, that gimmicks actually work, and that abstraction = aesthetics.

Meaning and narration are where it's at and what it's about. Period. That's where the emotion is. For most all music, that's what is at the beating heart of the composer and their art. And for most performers, including corps members, that's why they love music, dance, and spinning. Because it MEANS something to them.

Go ahead all of you and just try to disagree with me. You can't. Because I'm right, and I have been since last fall.

I hate to say I told you so. But I did. And was called a troll. And ignored by the 'expert' designers too.

So it goes.

The better design staffs right now are the Blue Devils', Crown's, SCV's, and Bluecoats.

The Cadets are, sadly, and almost every year, torpedoed by lack of coherent vision at the top. A tremendous waste of gold-medal talent to do shows that too often are confused by tarps, huge stages, cringe-worthy narration, design that castrates meaning from music, etc.

Cadets 2015: 10 reasons never to ignore the meaning of the music.

Edited by Maneuvah
  • Like 1

Look, Mr. Blue Devils Fan. Get off your chair or platform or blue high horse a second.

First, the Cadets staff did know about the biography of Dmitri, and about the historical context, politics, etc. Every educated person does. And it's been discussed - and in no small part due to me - at length on these boards, mainly in the Cadets thread. Also, I did, in fact, email Hop about this in November, and posted on this board. I got clobbered and ridiculed by suggesting that the show design must be about the music - one (the voice of Dmitri, D S C H, and all) versus the many (the State, collective, faceless) etc. And that it was about state terror and all that. Not a single person on the Cadets staff - or on this forum - supported my point. People with influence said, without naming names, that the show should NOT be about history or politics, etc. That this is "just drum corps" and implied that the meaning of the show was just politics, even though, say, last year's show was dripping with politics. I guess if it's about 'Merica, it's OK. Whatever.

In my mind, the "10" theme was arbitrary and incoherent and led to a guard program, for example, that isn't interesting enough to attract the very best talent, and thus you have a weak link. And you have GE struggles. Etc.

In my opinion, every issue the Cadets have this year can be traced to the design decision that was made - for better or worse - last fall.

Too bad, I think. Wasted opportunity to have meaning and narration and real emotion in the show, instead of incoherence and abstraction.

The "10" decision cost them gold.

What if, say, they titled the show, and carefully avoided the rah-rah patriotic drek that has buried so many a Cadets show in recent years, "E Pluribus Unum" and carried the One vs Many theme through the entire show, solo vs tutti, freedom vs tyrrany, etc. SO many oppositions to inspire design ideas that actually connect with the music.

Alas, though, yet another year of squandered talent and an inept show design from the Cadets staff.

And alas, the Cadets have ceded their longtime role as innovators in DCI, and instead, have become the corps that thinks that marketing is show design, that gimmicks actually work, and that abstraction = aesthetics.

Meaning and narration are where it's at and what it's about. Period. That's where the emotion is. For most all music, that's what is at the beating heart of the composer and their art. And for most performers, including corps members, that's why they love music, dance, and spinning. Because it MEANS something to them.

Go ahead all of you and just try to disagree with me. You can't. Because I'm right, and I have been since last fall.

I hate to say I told you so. But I did. And was called a troll. And ignored by the 'expert' designers too.

So it goes.

The better design staffs right now are the Blue Devils', Crown's, SCV's, and Bluecoats.

The Cadets are, sadly, and almost every year, torpedoed by lack of coherent vision at the top. A tremendous waste of gold-medal talent to do shows that too often are confused by tarps, huge stages, cringe-worthy narration, design that castrates meaning from music, etc.

Cadets 2015: 10 reasons never to ignore the meaning of the music.

OMG !!! Who fed the troll???Who was IT????? :muahaha: :not me: :grrr::wall: Who fed 3???

Edited by jonwoody
  • Like 2

Cadet's interpretation is completely antithetical to the original work. The 10th Symphony is always performed with reference to the political climate during the Russian holocaust under Stalin's regime where 20 million people were slaughtered. To perform the work outside that context, with smiling, jubilant cherubs dancing and counting to ten is almost reckless. It's revisionist. It's historical terrorism. And it's embarrassing. The only justification that might save the Cadets is if Stalin is said to be pulling strings behind the scenes in Cadet's show to create an illusion of avoidant jubilance.

you're tedious and reductive

:huh2:

What in the world have I just been reading...I am not sure if I am smarter for it or dumber...sigh...is there a theme to all of this to help me out??

:huh2:

What in the world have I just been reading...I am not sure if I am smarter for it or dumber...sigh...is there a theme to all of this to help me out??

Pseudointellectuals. *winkie face*

*runs away and hides*