Cadets 2017

MAYBE I AM JUST A HOMER BUT I still think the show is "this much" away from being awesome and still think the opportunity exists for them to make the correct small adjustments.... cut some narration here, take out a crooked company front there, clean clean clean and maybe stay over a hot Boston and pop Cavies. Until it's over, I'll keep pushing for my team. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FTNK said:

Hop just posted that they need sewing volunteers and are planning to "bedazzle the world."

Make it stop make it end

Here comes the cheese...

7 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Here comes the cheese...

Not cheese. Color, fabric, majestic, gold, bright, get out of your dam seats and clap. Cadets do everything literally. That's their style. It's big, bold and maybe this time it will work. 

Just now, Tobias said:

Not cheese. Color, fabric, majestic, gold, bright, get out of your dam seats and clap. Cadets do everything literally. That's their style. It's big, bold and maybe this time it will work. 

Raise your hand if you watched this show and said, You know, they might have something if those uniforms were bedazzled.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, henry7184 said:

I enjoyed your 1999 show, but I agree that 2000 was just on a whole other level. But, you see years like '86, '91 and '99 were blips. Now these blips are becoming the norm. I think the concern is two fold really - quality and placement, and quality affects placement. 

Taking a look at corpsreps...

The longest streak of seasons without a DCI title that the Cadets have experienced is five (twice): 2006-2010, 2012-2016. This year will make it six. The average placement in the most recent five seasons is 4th (though arithmetic on ordinal values is a no-no), same as the 06-10 streak. Presumably that will drop after this season. 

Also, this could be their first 7th place season since 1981. And if they somehow wind up in 8th (however unlikely), they'd make corps history as they've never finished in 8th.

I fear they are going to crank up the amps and hammer the theme and play a million rimshots and cymbal crashes to bludgeon the audience into an emotional response, like they did in 2014. Came across as super Fascist

3 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I fear they are going to crank up the amps and hammer the theme and play a million rimshots and cymbal crashes to bludgeon the audience into an emotional response, like they did in 2014. Came across as super Fascist

That's the plan. It may work finally! 

5 hours ago, FTNK said:

Welp. here we are

Some noted how the members seemed tired, unconfident, stressed. They are. I know, I lived it in 2006. Constantly changing the show, especially drill, is mentally exhausting. Then the pressure is on YOU, the member, to clean up what should have been right from the start, and design staff is like "this would be effective if you performed it better!"

Who is primarily in charge of the overall visual design package? Including drill, but also costumes, props, flags? Find that guy and fire him, and prioritize replacing them with top-level visual designer. There are way too many moments when members are just clumped or wandering around doing very earnest "acting" like doing the praying pose. Possibly impossible considering what's happened with staff in the last few seasons.

I'm sure George D will find this post overly negative, but I am calling a spade a spade.

One of my concerns, right there.  

A corps as celebrated and storied as the Cadets should have no problem attracting the top dogs in the activity.

Instead.... they're leaving (for the most part).

• Like 1