Bluecoats 2017 thread - Go Blooooooo!

I can now add the that the polymeter Prelude/Psychopomp is crazy difficult going from 4/8 to 5/8 to 7/8 in several combinations through the piece. The synchopation is extremely exposed and the veteran corps is handling these challenges extremely well.  Most of Psychopomp is on the field as of yesterday, and I would not be surprised if it was complete tonight. I think people will be very pleased with the show based on the first 4+ minutes I have seen. 

• Like 6

As did I, I knew none of it. The Zappa tune has me really excited and the Jonsi piece sound like it can be another hauntingly beautiful ballad.

• Like 2

Just now, dorph31 said:

As did I, I knew none of it. The Zappa tune has me really excited and the Jonsi piece sound like it can be another hauntingly beautiful ballad.

I have been waiting for the day Zappa could be put on the field since I was marching in the '70s!

• Like 2

Just now, Jurassic Lancer said:

I have been waiting for the day Zappa could be put on the field since I was marching in the '70s!

BD played "Echidna's Arf (Of You)" in 1987.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

BD played "Echidna's Arf (Of You)" in 1987.

I forgot about that! And looking at corpsrep, I see Zappa was done a (very) few times, but most notably by BD in '87.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

I'm not sure how I feel. I'm huge frank Zappa fan but it bothers me personally that the estate will now allow groups to use the music in a band show yet they still want Dweezil to pay to use the name and music like he's not even part of the family.

"Grow Til Tall" stands out to me.  The rest is fantastic too, but that's a perfect fit for them that's a nice deviation from last years more park and blow power ballad.  And "One Study" is PERFECT given their electronics usage.  "Prelude" should provide for some nice pure brass music, short and sweet.  And like Jurassic Lancer said, "Psychopomp" is pretty wild time wise.  Frank Zappa, he's been brought up a ton on here in the Music Corps Should Play thread, that's gonna be a blast.  

Once again I think they put together an incredibly exciting, fresh, cohesive, and strangely accessible set of music that I'm sure I'll love.  Bring it on!  

• Like 5

Once again, Bloo introduces me to an artist/band that I've never encountered and find all sorts of interesting.  Thank You Scientist is this year's take.

• Like 2