THE ACADEMY 2017

Heard a rumor from a veteran from this past year that audition registration right now is "almost 5 times what it was last year". They had 300 come out for auditions last year so do the math. Almost 1500 registered as of now, three months away from first camps. Shocking.

Well. That's great for the corps but not so great for my audition chances!

Well. That's great for the corps but not so great for my audition chances!

defefa562906728af59d0c33accef1676a4e532c

• Like 2

Heard a rumor from a veteran from this past year that audition registration right now is "almost 5 times what it was last year". They had 300 come out for auditions last year so do the math. Almost 1500 registered as of now, three months away from first camps. Shocking.

That's awesome!

It could be they meant 5x the number of registrations than at this point in time last year.

IMO this year's 11th place finish shows the indirect benefit of a fan-favorite like 2015's "Step In Time"; potential members are attracted to corps doing the shows they like.

Not sure it still applies, but apparently The Academy won't allow kids to audition if they are auditioning at another corps.

If so, I can't imagine that "all-in" attitude of the mm's resulting in anything but positive.

I recall Sprirt having a surge of people auditioning after returning to finals in 2011, so a surge of interest for Academy is not a surprise. What matters most would be number of openings and the talent of those who are auditioning. Lots of good intentioned kids with big dreams with a love of drum corps audition but they have little chance at marching. Also it's not unheard of to have no shows at auditions. Word is that Academy (and Boston Crusaders for that matter) all but promised veterans a spot next year so if this is true could further limit open spots.

Regarding "the rule" that kids auditioning for Academy can on,y audition for one corps, this has come up with other corps in the past and it seems like lots of corps have this rule, but calling it a guideline may be more accurate.

Have no clue what the program will be but it will be good since theyre keeping their design team from this year. Its gonna be really interesting to see them in finals alot because theyre getting better.

Registering is one thing, but it doesn't mean they will all actually "come out for auditions". I'm not sure if anyone will back me up, but my experience has been that a corps will get somewhere between 30 - 50% (closer to 30%) of those who register, to actually come out for auditions.

I would guess that Academy had more than 300 register, last year. This year (based on the almost 1500 registered), my guess is that Academy will have approximately 400 - 500 come out for auditions. And to me that number is great for any corps. :)

I wish Academy the best this coming season.

Edited by Barneveld

Registering is one thing, but it doesn't mean they will all actually "come out for auditions". I'm not sure if anyone will back me up, but my experience has been that a corps will get somewhere between 30 - 50% (closer to 30%) of those who register, to actually come out for auditions.

I would guess that Academy had more than 300 register, last year. This year (based on the almost 1500 registered), my guess is that Academy will have approximately 400 - 500 come out for auditions. And to me that number is great for any corps. :)

I wish Academy the best this coming season.

But the thing is, that's not the registration numbers for a week before camps. They're the registration number three months before camps.

But the thing is, that's not the registration numbers for a week before camps. They're the registration number three months before camps.

And my thing is.......those registration numbers (WHENEVER they're calculated) don't mean a darn thing, unless you can get them to actually audition. ;)

• Like 1

Quality not quantity...best of luck though! Loved their show this past season.

I'm sure they're attracting lots of quality, hell if I was still under 21 the two corps I'd be looking at would be The Academy and Boston Crusaders honestly.

The point is they're attracting a lot of interest after a great season, and even if just 1/3 - 2/3 of the registered show up after God knows how many apply by November they'll be in a pretty good place to pick and chose from a big field who they want.

If there is a corps in particular I really want to do well and maintain their success in 2017, it's these guys.

• Like 1