THE ACADEMY 2017

"Drum Major, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, is your corps ready?"

It honestly could very well work, and if any corps was to pull it off in a fun yet professional manor, it would be The Academy. Hands down.

Saw video of Japanese marching bands playing John Williams stuff.

Maybe The Academy could manage to gain access to all of his music.

Considering that THE ACADEMY (to the best of my knowledge) was only the second DCI World Class Corps to be granted rights to perform music from the Walt Disney Company with its " A Step In Time" aka Mary Poppins show last year..(STAR of Indiana being the first in 1985 with its show "The Music Of Walt Disney".) Who knows perhaps if John Williams was pleased and impressed what The Academy's treatment of the Disney Music, Just perhaps he may consider them the "immerging" Story Telling Corps of DCI that could do HIS music the justice as effectively and as impressively as it has with the arrangements of Michael Klesch. Could that be the "Coup De Grace Closer" up The Academy's sleave for 2017!? I won't tell. Yes, I jest! OH, My! can you imagine thecharactersin the Pit Feature?! One can only dream.

• Like 1

My never again list is VERY long. lol

If you think recurring is bad in DCI...go to a high school contest and be ready to hear Firebird 20 times,

the Planets 10, and New World Symphony mixed with something modern to make it fresh about 10 times. And the list don't stop there. Lol.

The band I teach is doing a New World show this year. I arranged the winds and percussion for it. So you better stay away from us! :tounge2:

• Like 1

Facebook - Drew Guy

August 23 at 12:22pm ·

As of Sunday morning I have officially resigned from The Academy Drum & Bugle Corps. The last five years there have been wonderful and the last two years as Co Percussion Caption Head were extremely rewarding and filled with learning experiences that shaped me into the educator I have always wanted to be and I'm incredibly thankful for all of the students and staff that I had the honor to work with while I was there. I've debated leaving for the last three years because of professional differences and after the drum corps' success this past year I feel the time for me to move on has finally come. I look forward to what my future with DCI and WGI holds, even if it means there isn't one. There's not enough room in the activity for us all to become grumpy old farts about it

Saw video of Japanese marching bands playing John Williams stuff.

Maybe The Academy could manage to gain access to all of his music.

Are the Japanese bands performing his music in the United States? Outside of the U.S., composers often have little control as to how their music is performed, although I would expect Japan would honor American copyrights.

Over the years John Williams got picky about how his music is used. He is a purist and wants the integrity of his pieces honored. He can also be pretty choosy about the ensembles that perform his music, and according to someone I know who works for the BSO has not allowed certain guest conductors for the Boston Pops to conduct his music. Sorry, I do not know which conductors were on the bad list, so I can't provide info for inquiring minds.I guess to many disco versions of "Star Wars" in the 70's does this, but it's too back. Drum corps is an excellent vehicle for his music and as we know from when his music was performed in the past, very effective.

Facebook - Drew Guy
August 23 at 12:22pm ·
As of Sunday morning I have officially resigned from The Academy Drum & Bugle Corps. The last five years there have been wonderful and the last two years as Co Percussion Caption Head were extremely rewarding and filled with learning experiences that shaped me into the educator I have always wanted to be and I'm incredibly thankful for all of the students and staff that I had the honor to work with while I was there. I've debated leaving for the last three years because of professional differences and after the drum corps' success this past year I feel the time for me to move on has finally come. I look forward to what my future with DCI and WGI holds, even if it means there isn't one. There's not enough room in the activity for us all to become grumpy old farts about it

Thank You Drew for your years of service to The Academy and your role leading the Corps down this Journey of Milestones and Tombstones and DCI Finals in 2016 . I wish you all the best in your future pursuits within the ranks of DCI/WGI. All the best to you always, all ways. Cheers Mate,

• Like 1

Heard a rumor from a veteran from this past year that audition registration right now is "almost 5 times what it was last year". They had 300 come out for auditions last year so do the math. Almost 1500 registered as of now, three months away from first camps. Shocking.

Edited by Damonallred