What Chester Makes Makes Chester - TOC Show August 3rd

3 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

The loudest section of The Cavaliers' show is the chord in the bottom right of the field before "My Way" far away from any microphones.

And it sounded GREAT without any discernable amplification; just pure, natural sound.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Couldn't agree more. And there are plenty of Band Directors that can compartmentalize and change their approach when they are working with Corps. 

The "band" people on staff also have extensive DCI pedigrees...like almost every other staff in DCI today.

4 minutes ago, FLBuzcut said:

And it sounded GREAT without any discernable amplification; just pure, natural sound.

Well, Cavaliers actually has a huge array of shotgun mics all along the front of the field, as well as mics for soloists.

3 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Well, Cavaliers actually has a huge array of shotgun mics all along the front of the field, as well as mics for soloists.

True. And in Centerville on Tuesday it appeared they cranked the volume on the sideline input because it was often harsh, unpleasant and unbalanced. One of the more impressive moments was the section 3rdValve mentioned when the ensemble was farther back from the mics. I'm sure some amplification was present but it was hardly noticeable. Actually the nicest horn sound came at the very end when they moved past the sideline and therefore past the mics and there was zero amplification. THAT was the glory moment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Liahona said:

cadet2 cumberbund falling off

Seriously, what was up with that? I was fully expecting there to be a uni change with a cumberbund reveal at the climax of the show or something, but it never happened! Have their blue cumberbunds been overlays all this time? Even last year?!?! Why the overlay, why not just buy new cumberbunds? That was so confusing!

13 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Unless they've added more since San Antonio ( and the tape I watched last night from Chester, PA doesn't seem to show it )...they have three shotgun mics on the sideline. One on the 50 and one on each 35. And yes to mic'ing soloists. 

12 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Unless they've added more since San Antonio ( and the tape I watched last night from Chester, PA doesn't seem to show it )...they have three shotgun mics on the sideline. One on the 50 and one on each 35. And yes to mic'ing soloists. 

Only the 3 that I have seen.

11 hours ago, pudding said:

In general it seems that I am more critical than the judges are. 

No, it means that numbers are just that... numbers. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'd ever want to be a judge simply because I have not the foggiest clue how to put a number to a caption. I can critique and analyze perfectly well, but I have no capability to quantify those performances.