Cadets 2018

4 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

There seems to be a feeling that woodwinds are inevitable in drum corps...

As most people here are probably aware, woodwinds are already allowed in DCI competition in some circumstances. The woodwinds have been voted in  for inclusion into the DCI I & E competitions during Championships week. DCI authorized the woodwinds usage in its Quarterfinals at Championships 2 season's ago ( a  marching unit was scored along with all the other non woodwinds utilizing Corps at Quarterfinals at DCI's Championships ). DCI's cousin outfit, Soundsport, utilizes the woodwinds in competition. Winter Guard International, that once began as a Color Guard only competition, now allows woodwinds into its competitions. DCI has allowed woodwinds into its preshows. DCI and WGI both have a natural afinity towards one another. So its not a question if DCI will allow the woodwinds in. That question has already been settled. They are ALREADY IN DCI. The only remaining question then becomes when will the remaining barrier come down to all the woodwinds into DCI Field competition for ALL the DCI units , not just 1 or 2. My guess, in about 10 years or so ( maybe sooner ), once the current DCI Directors/ Judges retire. Remember too, ( for you history buffs out there ) " Drum Corps " began initially with woodwinds, ie the fife. It was the  Bugle that replaced the Fife in many military units. Well, the Bugle is no longer. DCI has not had a Bugle utilized in ANY of its competitions by its performing groups in many a year. Things DO change. The notion then that DCI will bring in all the other conventional Marching Band instruments, but not the Woodwinds ( as WGI has done in " Guard " ) seems really surprising for me to hear this from some people on here, as well as a bit naive thinking from them to me. DCI /WGI/ Soundsport ALREADY have allowed in the woodwinds. its not progressive thinking to believe that the remaining hold out, DCI, will allow them in some situations, but not eventually in all others. Of course DCI will, imo. I don't believe its any longer a question of " if " anymore, but simply a matter of " when " now. All the visible indicators are currently present for it to occur too, if we are paying attention even minimally to the developments in DCI/ WGI/ Soundsport the last decade or so.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

As most people here are probably aware, woodwinds are already allowed in DCI competition in some circumstances. The woodwinds have been voted in  for inclusion into the DCI I & E competitions during Championships week. 

DCI mostly allowed this because there are many woodwind players involved in drum corps. I think DCI wanted to give them a chance to play their usual band/orchestra instruments in order to encourage more kids taking part in I&E. This makes sense to me.  

What I have always found is that there are many woodwinds players who LOVE to march brass. We had plenty of brass in our bands over the years (at my college) who did not want to play their woodwind instrument on the field.  However, if given the option to enter a solo contest then I am sure they would prefer to use their chosen, and likely much better performance instrument. I heard this about drum corps as well.  There are plenty of woodwind players in those corps, but they love to play brass for field and it's only for solo and ensemble that they are willing to play an instrument for which they show better competence. 

I do not think this will translate to woodwinds on the field in DCI. We all know it's been discussed, but things have changed since the advent of amps and electronics.  At this point I think DCI plans to stay away from WW on the field.  I honestly do not think the interest would be there.  Most woodwinds players that want to march DCI wish to play brass (or perhaps guard or drums).  

54 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

DCI mostly allowed this because there are many woodwind players involved in drum corps. I think DCI wanted to give them a chance to play their usual band/orchestra instruments in order to encourage more kids taking part in I&E. This makes sense to me.  

I recall the time when it was conventional wisdom among 95% of Corps Directors, staffs, fans, alums that a) woodwinds would never find their way into DCI I & E..... b) singing would never find its way into DCI...... c) trombones.. (" are you serious ?", they said) would never find their way into DCI.... d) Concert Band French horns ( " are you nuts ?", they said ) would never find their way into DCI...... e) Rock Guitars.. (" now, you guys have bit the shark, and are full blown crazy " they said ) would never find its way into DCI...... d) brass lines filtered thru a speaker system to alter the sound... ( " what the H is that" ? ) , as that SURELY would never be permitted in DCI.....e) a  9 person, stand in place the entire show... Choir ? In DCI ? That'll NEVER happen in DCI. " whats wrong with these people saying these things ?", they said " There is no current interest in doing these things. We won't ever see these things in DCI. ", they said.... and too many other things, too many to mention as once we were told :....." Well, thats not gonna ever happen, as there is no current interest in doing this".

uh huh.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

As most people here are probably aware, woodwinds are already allowed in DCI competition in some circumstances. The woodwinds have been voted in  for inclusion into the DCI I & E competitions during Championships week. DCI authorized the woodwinds usage in its Quarterfinals at Championships 2 season's ago ( a  marching unit was scored along with all the other non woodwinds utilizing Corps at Quarterfinals at DCI's Championships ). DCI's cousin outfit, Soundsport, utilizes the woodwinds in competition. Winter Guard International, that once began as a Color Guard only competition, now allows woodwinds into its competitions. DCI has allowed woodwinds into its preshows. DCI and WGI both have a natural afinity towards one another. So its not a question if DCI will allow the woodwinds in. That question has already been settled. They are ALREADY IN DCI. The only remaining question then becomes when will the remaining barrier come down to all the woodwinds into DCI Field competition for ALL the DCI units , not just 1 or 2. My guess, in about 10 years or so ( maybe sooner ), once the current DCI Directors/ Judges retire. Remember too, ( for you history buffs out there ) " Drum Corps " began initially with woodwinds, ie the fife. It was the  Bugle that replaced the Fife in many military units. Well, the Bugle is no longer. DCI has not had a Bugle utilized in ANY of its competitions by its performing groups in many a year. Things DO change. The notion then that DCI will bring in all the other conventional Marching Band instruments, but not the Woodwinds ( as WGI has done in " Guard " ) seems really surprising for me to hear this from some people on here, as well as a bit naive thinking from them to me. DCI /WGI/ Soundsport ALREADY have allowed in the woodwinds. its not progressive thinking to believe that the remaining hold out, DCI, will allow them in some situations, but not eventually in all others. Of course DCI will, imo. I don't believe its any longer a question of " if " anymore, but simply a matter of " when " now. All the visible indicators are currently present for it to occur too, if we are paying attention even minimally to the developments in DCI/ WGI/ Soundsport the last decade or so.

thank you for the information...the future is now!

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

well I don't think WW will ever happen in DCI - EVER. 

nm......

Edited by BRASSO

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

except none of the DCI Directors want ww on the field. Well - everyone of them that I know their thoughts on the topic, which is the vast majority of the current crop

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

except none of the DCI Directors want ww on the field. Well - everyone of them that I know their thoughts on the topic, which is the vast majority of the current crop

I think you're forgetting that DCI doesn't answer to the "vast majority".  If George Hopkins pushes for woodwinds hard enough, there WILL be woodwinds.  And he'll do it just to spite those who oppose it.