Murfreesboro, TN - July, 27, 2018

3 minutes ago, brassboy said:

I posted the link a couple pages back.

Got it!

• Like 1

Responsibilities: The Color Guard judge, placed in the stands or press box, is strictly judging the proficiency of each guard, what the guards are achieving and how they are achieving it. To put it another way, what the guards are doing and how well they are doing it. This caption is NOT about the effectiveness of the guard, nor is it about the costumes nor the flags

The Blue Devils guard are being called out for not doing enough. :cry: ouch! 

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Biggest story of the night, imo, is once again the Blue Knights.  Last night they got a huge jump in score from previous show, then in 24 hours, tonite,  they drop over 2 points from last night. Some of it can be attributed to the difference in the mix of Corps... but not over 2 points worth, imo. Oh well, maybe it was not so good a run from them tonite too, who knows.

• Like 1

Just now, BRASSO said:

Biggest story of the night, imo, is once again the Blue Knights.  Last night they got a huge jump in score from previous show, then in 24 hours, tonite,  they drop over 2 points from last night. Some of it can be attributed to the difference in the mix of Corps... but not over 2 points worth, imo. Oh well, maybe it was not so good a run from them tonite too, who knows.

They dropped 1.4 in Total GE alone. Considering those are the scores that earn their full weight, it seems like those judges may have been a little over-ambitious yesterday.

37 minutes ago, brassboy said:

Oh, the revised media policy specifically DOES allow YouTube links. So here you go, @Jason Harrison and @Ghost:

https://youtu.be/wkCH-0KPvsU

Skip ahead about 26 seconds to where the video jumps to the closer.

Maybe I need to See it live, but I'm not jumping outta my need at the new ending. 

• Like 2

I did a little digging. The most recent comparable fall in score for Blue Knights was July 16th and July 18th, 2015. They dropped 1.5 points between Belton and the SW Championships. At Southwestern Championships in 2007, they dropped 2.6 points between prelims and finals (I didn't even know that show used to have those) on the same day.

So basically, it's been 11 years since BK has had a score drop of this magnitude between two back-to-back shows.

1 hour ago, dcsnare93 said:

Just watched the video, and my initial reaction was the same -- I prefer the old ending.

I'm sure they'll add more to it though.

Yeah, it’s just Phantom 2007, but without any visual demand.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

Maybe I need to See it live, but I'm not jumping outta my need at the new ending. 

Inclined to agree. And I'm not going to see it live.

There's a few pretty easy visual tweaks I'd make to it to sell the end a hair better, though (with the very, very, VERY obvious caveat that Michael Gaines has a way better idea of how to do things visually than I ever will)...

• Leave the mellos off the top of the middle stack for the sustain, keep the guard duet up top. They can come off during the drum break when people run up the stacks, which is when...
  • ...the cymbals run up to the center (four cymbals in the middle, two mellos on either side), so we can wrap this thing up the way all good Vanguard shows should.

Also, have to say: it's not the flashiest, most-spectacle-filled Gaines drill ever (that's probably still 2006, I would argue, though I'll hear arguments for 2002 and 2004), but it's (a) clearly his drill, and (b) pretty wonderful to see perfectly competently composed drill on a football field again. There are few enough excellent straight-up drill writers anymore (off the top of my head, basically just Weber, Gaines, Sacktig, and May; Murphy doesn't really write drill so much as he writes beautiful staging that happens to occasionally incorporate drill these days) that seeing one of the best ever churn out a perfectly solid, unspectacular, basically perfect for the needs of the show drill feels special.

It should probably also be noted that this is one of the few years I can think of where he's had to write a show where the buck as to how what was timed didn't stop entirely with him. In pretty much all of his years with Cavies, if he had a visual change that demanded changing/breaking up the flow of the music, the music changed (see: all the random eight-bar percussion fills in 2007 that killed the momentum in "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant"). This year seems a bit different, in that I think the music side of the equation here has more emphasis than it did at Cavies. Kinda nice to see, as a music guy.

• Like 1