How weak is the Cavies Show?

It has been interesting reading all the blogs and the biggest surprise has been all of the comments about the Cavaliers show. There were 8 corps that broke 70 on June 23. The Cavaliers were not one of them. They have only broken 70 once so far this year. The rolling average today has them 7th and trending down now that more corps has put their show on the field a couple of times.

Yes, it is early and we are talking a small sampling. However, with a trend going down and a show that is not selling with the crowd, I am beginning to get concerned. I am not worried about them dropping much lower. But I am concerned that they could be out of the top 8. Imagine next year TOC without the Cavies as part of the tour.

Let the comments begin..............

Edited by Old Corps Guy

They definitely won't drop out of the top 8. I just can't see that happening. I really think the right changes can bring that show to life, and I'm sure things will be added as well. I remember Cavies didn't do too well in 2010 early season. They ended up second in finals. They could possibly drop to 5th in my opinion, but anything can happen in DCI. There's always some sort of surprise.

They definitely won't drop out of the top 8. I just can't see that happening. I really think the right changes can bring that show to life, and I'm sure things will be added as well. I remember Cavies didn't do too well in 2010 early season. They ended up second in finals. They could possibly drop to 5th in my opinion, but anything can happen in DCI. There's always some sort of surprise.

all true and theres something said for a group that knows how to be a champion and the experience to back it up...so I think they can never be counted out of that top 3

all true and theres something said for a group that knows how to be a champion and the experience to back it up...so I think they can never be counted out of that top 3

True, though there's been a decent amount of staff turnover in the last 5 years, right? At least at the very highest levels. It can't be ignored that they haven't been first across the finish line in 5 seasons (the longest period since they got their first DCI gold), and averaged 3rd in this period.

Not that 3rd is anything to sneeze at, and not that there was a lot of good stuff going on on the field in each of those shows. And they of course still might be top 3 this season again. They won't be winless forever. People had similar "worries" about Cadets during their 2 rather lengthy championship droughts in the last 12 years -- 2001-2004 (averaging 3rd, and during chunks of many of those seasons, it just wasn't The Cadets we were used to), and 2006-2010 (averaging 4th and being all across the map with content and execution). And that was with much of the staff being stable!

• Like 1

Staff turnover, yea but just like usual the staff is almost 100% made up of guys that have marched there, so the identity is still the same.

The percussion staff is relatively the same, most of the guys on staff marched there or have been there long enough.

The visual staff (with exception to the drill writer) are all guys that marched there.

The guard staff, same story.

The brass staff is not mostly FMMs of the corps, but give them time and they will be just fine.

Cavaliers will be fine, this is a corps that constantly adds throughout the season and fleshes out their shows, they will start building this show into what it is supposed to be soon.

Edited by drummer5485

It's still music and drill. They have a clean drumline, a pretty darn good guard, a very evenly-balanced hornline (with great volume) and awesome drill. The only thing people are concerned about is the CONCEPT. And I've seen shows win (BD '07, for one) where the concept is either lost on the audience or just poorly executed. Still makes for a great show, and in some cases a winning show. Don't count the Cavaliers out!

The talent level of members (and staff) is still great. They have really great moments, and I do enjoy the show. Conceptually, however, the show concept doesn't come across clearly and just needs layering moreso than other corps.

Also, lots of other corps are having really really great seasons too which kinda overshadows a Cavaliers show that just needs a little more work. Not worried, but realistic in my expectations at the same time.

• Like 1

One question to ask all of you: Does it feel like Hinshaw is trying to mimic Gaines a little too much? I've seen many Avon shows (yes I know marching band is NOT drum corps, blah blah blah), but this drill seems a little "out of his style" if you ask me.

• Like 2

Just too early to tell with any corps, not just the Cavaliers. Shows can sometimes take a while to develop and clean. The Cavaliers definitely have a show this year that needs some edits, some major tweaking, and in other areas just some old fashioned cleaning. Let's see what they do with it.

The OP mentioned the top 8 and the potential of not being part of the TOC. Look, it could happen. None of us know for sure, but this is the realization that we all need to understand. If we want other corps to get better, and if we desire a little more competition for the top 5 from corps that traditionally are not there, then some corps currently in the top 5 is likely to lose their spot. Eventually some big-name units that have been traditional top 3, top 6 finishers will be beaten by other challengers and they will find themselves in 7, 8, even 9th place. When this eventually happens to our corps, if it does, we will have to accept that it may not be the show or the quality of the performance of our favorite corps, but it may simply be that someone else simply beat them.

Spirit, Bluecoats, and Boston have all come to play this year, and Madison is good and will get better. BD seems to be off and running, Crown is good, and The Cadets looked excellent to me in Akron. Phantom has a special show that could be killer...perhaps even top 2 worthy. SCV is better, and Bue Knights will be heard from. Let's face it, that's a lot of good competition. A lot of this will come down to show design, show construction, and overall GE.

• Like 2

After seeing all of the other corps (sans Madison) I feel much better about where the Cavaliers stand. At this point in the season, I'd have them tied in 5th with the Bluecoats.

If the brass cleans up and they add and layer like they always do, I could see them 5th or higher. The drumline certainly isn't going to hurt them.

But who knows, it's early. I think I like the first four weeks of the season better than the last four due to how much can change on a weekly basis as corps improve and add to their shows at differing rates.