Utterly Disgusted!

The "precious snowflake" mentality from some parents (and where it's crept in pedagogically) is such the antithesis of the way the world works...and then the sense of entitlement and whining when things don't go L'il Snowflake's way (with attendant parental "concern") keeps us keepin' on down the road to less and less personal responsibility.

Read a few weeks ago in the business news that some parents of recent college graduates are even calling where "Lil Snowflake" interviewed to see why they didn't get the job. :doh:

As we say in our house "Cut the freakin' apron strings!".....

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CLOSED-MINDED.

Actually, I think both are acceptable. Open and Close are of the same form. You wouldn't say Opened-minded, but I do think that both Close and Closed are acceptable here. I'll cede to your grammar knowledge on this one though -- after all, I'm not CLOSED-Minded on the issue .... :)

I think it is a very fitting analogy. I dislike Bud because of the way it tastes, not because of it's name, where it is brewed or that it comes in a brown bottle with a red and silver label. It tastes the same today as it did yesterday, as it will tomorrow.

It's the "taste" of amplified vocals that bothers me. I don't like the sound, timbre, blend of it. It doesn't matter what they are saying, thought that does play a role in how much I dislike it, and it doesn't matter what type of great drum corps performance it is wrapped in, or what colour uniform the corps is wearing...I am not going to like it.

What I'm saying is, people are thinking in finite terms. "I don't like the sound, timbre, blend of it." To say that you will NEVER like it is to assume that you can imagine ALL forms of narration (even those that other corps have not come up with yet) and what they will sound like. Since nobody can predict the future, it is IMPOSSIBLE to say with an open mind that you will not like it. You haven't heard future forms of narration, so how can you know what it will sound like?

If you say you will not like it without hearing it, you have a closed mind. It is as simple as that. Just because you don't like being labeled as close-minded doesn't mean you can change the DEFINITION of what close-minded is!

Actually, I think both are acceptable. Open and Close are of the same form. You wouldn't say Opened-minded, but I do think that both Close and Closed are acceptable here. I'll cede to your grammar knowledge on this one though -- after all, I'm not CLOSED-Minded on the issue .... :)

Actually, I am rather clothes-minded right now, as I need a new pair of jeans. :P

Major League Baseball parks are ejecting fans who refuse to remove t-shirts such as "Yankees Suck", and some Barry Bonds bashers were ejected for wearing t-shirts that simply said, "Cheater". What if suddenly people started wearing "(insert corps name here) Suck!"

On the other hand, while in poor taste, the anti-Cadets tee is not offensive in its language.

Discuss.

I didnt read much farther in the thread, but apparently DCI would have the right to remove someone from the stadium should they find their "speech" offensive. Since the property is leased out to dci, they can control what things are being communicated within.

We had an example of this at a recent MLS soccer game vs. China here in Utah.....

http://www.danwei.org/sports/protest_at_re...t_lake_vs_c.php

Which is fine. If someone chooses to go on the field with the attitude that "Hey, we realize you might hate this, but these other 134 people and I think it's great, so here it is", I can totally respect that. But it flies in the face of what others have posted about needing to "support the kids".

My point was simply that if the members choose to "believe" in this show -- and obviously they do or they wouldn't be there --then they also should be mature enough to recognize that it isn't going to be everyone's thing and know they'll need to deal with that accordingly.

Who told you they weren't mature and were not dealing with it? As far as I know, and I have talked to quite a few of the members, they are dealing with it pretty well. I am not sure about the point you are making because I can't see where you can prove the members are not mature enough to deal with it.

Who told you they weren't mature and were not dealing with it? As far as I know, and I have talked to quite a few of the members, they are dealing with it pretty well. I am not sure about the point you are making because I can't see where you can prove the members are not mature enough to deal with it.

I think he is responding to the posts that posit that we shouldn't criticize the show because of how it would make the kid's feel. He is saying that is a disingenous argument because, as you say, the kids in the corps (any corps) are mature enough to deal with a little criticsm. (And/or mature/wise enough to pay it no nevermind :) )