ATTENTION: Academy Honks

But I will tell you that the "Countdown to When We Come Back Out and Kick Everyone's ###" thread was probably a little over the top.

it was asked once before and you still haven't answered it... where was this thread? cuz i don't remember seeing it.

All-summer tours have the advantage in my opinion. It's the experience that wins out in the end. FOREVER.

yeah, and when i marched the inaugural competitive season of academy and only had a two week tour, you're right. my summer was awful. i learned nothing about hard work or character development or team work or anything. we didn't even bother since it was only 2 weeks. those weren't gym floors we slept on, or cold showers we took, or meals we ate on styrofoam plates from the cook truck (only we didn't even have a "big boy" cook truck back then). i wasn't camped out at a trumpet player's house all summer during our all days away from the comforts of my own home. it was awful and boring and miserable and not worth my time, money, or energy at all.

oh yeah... NOT.

Where are they even from any way? wth do their unis look like? What's their show? I'll form opinions when they're on the map.

i respectfully suggest that in order to see the map that they're on, you open your eyes. :)

I don't see you donating the money to get Academy to Atlanta.

haha, bravo. and i can say that, see, cuz i donate to their gas can at shows. wait, is that how that works here? hahaha.

Sorry to break up your little waa waa baby party, but they ARE an "accepted full participant Div 1 member."

what randy said. stop complaining about the corps when it's really DCI's rules you don't like.... oh right, it's easier to pick on 135 teenagers who aren't home all summer than a national organization/governing body.

Want to know why I'm pushing for AA (and PC, for that matter) so hard? I think two of the corps in my signature say it best.

i know renegades at least... the new corps that those whom have no knowledge of hate, predicting doom and gloom and ill-wishes towards them, yet who are wildly successful. sounds like some similarities to academy to me.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your problem?

And, are we to assume that the fact that there are possibly 30 or more open class corps who have folded who possibly could have continued on longer had they not forced themselves to tour beyond their means year after year is something that pleases you?

A Good Point I wish to draw from. I sat on the BOD of the former ARIZONA SUN 1992-93. They did two full tours culminating in appearances in two DCI World Championships in Dallas in '91 and Madison in'92. They hedged their bets in finishing in the money bracket for finishing in top 25...they failed both times. A very promising Corps, with talented kids and stellar staff found itself in a good deal of debt and had to disband short of its potential, dreams and goals for a third tour in '93. The impact on my personal psyche and passion for the activity was devastating.

Having been involved in Drum Corps since 1965, (I marched through 1972 with the Simplex Minutemen of Gardner, MA. ) I've followed the growth and demise of Drum Corps in Arizona since 1976. The creation of the Arizona Academy of the Performing Arts in 2001 and its "baby step" formula in the growth and development of "The Academy Drum and Bugle Corps" has restored my faith and passion for the activity. Its mission, management and staff have nurtured programs that are healthy, focused and fiscally responsible. Today, THE ACADEMY is the culmination of years of careful planning which included a responsible and successful three year touring stratagy in Division II. I applaud its service to its membership, community and the Drum Corps activity. I trust that its core values and touring stratagy will continue "building Great People Through Great Performances" with satisfying results to the delight of DC Fans.

i know renegades at least... the new corps that those whom have no knowledge of hate, predicting doom and gloom and ill-wishes towards them, yet who are wildly successful. sounds like some similarities to academy to me.

He's actually referring to Valley Fever and California Dons...

I was bored and all this Academy Honks stuff thats going on give me a good laugh, So i figured I'd make this...lol

f_honkm_e697bc2.jpg

HONK, HONK !!!!!!

This thread = pointless

Go Academy! Go Drum Corps!

This thread isn't pointless. It shows Academy is getting support from the Drum Corps community.

Honk...Honk!!!

Go Academy!!! See you on Saturday night in Pasadena!!!

Shhesh! A guy tries to offer a little freindly advice and look what happens!! Let's see... where to begin, where to begin...

First of all - most of you should go back and read, re-read and re-re-read both of my posts. At NO TIME do I ever condem Academy, it's organization, financial status, members, staff or philosophy. That "criticism" is something YOU added, not me. In fact, my second post says we should all APPLAUD their efforts... did you happen to read that?

No, my words are directed to those HONKS who have been over-hyping a group that until JULY 21, will not have competed anywhere east of Glendale Community College! And when you look at ALL the corps, the 5-6 weeks they've been on the road and THEIR fans too - maybe you might want to tone it down a little bit. That's all.

No, once again, I am NOT critisizing Academy's organization, tour or schedule. Heck, working with DCI is like working with the IRS - you should be using all of their rules to YOUR fullest advantage. Good for them! I am simply reminding you to keep everyone else's organization, tour and schedule in mind, and wait for the ENTIRE season to play out before you annoint yourself World Champions.

Personally, I don't believe ANY limited-touring corps should be able to compete for a Finalist spot. But that's just me. I'm a grouchy old guy. Of course you will be very happy to know that I don't make the rules. So there you go.

I can tell you that among my large group of old Drum Corps fans IF, I repeat, IF Academy makes it into the Top Twelve - it will always be with an asterisk (for those of you on the west coast, it's one of these things *), meaning: didn't do it the same as everyone else. Once again, NOT a criticism - just a fact.

From top to bottom, this is the most competitive season of Drum Corps that I can remember in a long, long time. I have the feeling that placements are going to move around until that final score is announced in Pasadena. And the REAL winner will be... US!!!

Here's wishing you all a lot of fun these last few weeks of the season!

, IF Academy makes it into the Top Twelve - it will always be with an asterisk (for those of you on the west coast, it's one of these things *), meaning: didn't do it the same as everyone else.

You're right, they'll do it better. ^0^

I'm a little torn on this issue. It is my understanding that The Academy are playing by the rules so to speak. I'm not too sure if i agree of their performance time in San Antonio. IMHO they should go on first because they didn't attend Allentown or Altanta and, if i am not mistaken, those shows' results are how DCI does the draw for San Antonio.