ATTENTION: Academy Honks

I don't have the time to search every thread and provide all the links for you because I serve a higher power... my wife. She has a list of things for me to do right now. But I will tell you that the "Countdown to When We Come Back Out and Kick Everyone's ###" thread was probably a little over the top.

I can't find that thread anywhere. Are you sure this was on DCP?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try as you may - the rest of the drum corps community is not going to fully embrace a group that has been home for weeks, sleeping in their own beds, enjoying their own bathroom and practicing all day, every day. Yes, I understand the money thing, the need for a limited tour and the fact that you didn't write the rules... you only used them to your benefit (as you should have). But please keep in mind that the luxuries you enjoy today have not, and will never be enjoyed by the other full touring corps. So maybe you could tone it down a little bit.

Speak for yourself, troll.

THIS member of the drum corps community is pulling for Academy to make finals!

This thread = pointless

Go Academy! Go Drum Corps!

This thread = pointless

Go Academy! Go Drum Corps!

While it may be pointless, I so see where this thought is coming from. More practice and rest may equal an advantage for a corps; maybe not. Judges at major shows haven't seen them. Disadvantage? Maybe so. I think what he is trying to say is "fair is fair". It doesn't seem as fair to the kids who come home after finals and sleep for a week because they are so exhausted from tour. But, the corps who doesn't tour as much doesn't have as much fun either, so that's a disadvantage to them. When they are older and look back on their drum corps experience, will they have the memories that the other corps have, finals caliber or not? They'll remember that nice soft bed and cushy bathroom experience while other kids will remember the escapades on the bus, the contra pile drivers that resulted in an ever-interesting contortion, and venues that gave them goose bumps. All-summer tours have the advantage in my opinion. It's the experience that wins out in the end. FOREVER.

Sorry if you took it the wrong way. I know all you west-coasters have been dying for another finalist from your region since you lost Freelancers and VK - now Academy is your greatest hope. So I understand that I must be hitting a nerve somewhere.

Seattle? Cas? Cades?

This reminds me of the begining days with Star. Lots of people having something negative or critical to say. It's almost like people believe Academy has not paid their dues, yet is getting some type of special treatment from DCI. Reading these threads you can see that. You have corps who have been around for decades and then up comes this new kid on the block with a chance to upset many of them all while having a limited tour schedule. I can see how that would leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth. Make no mistake about it though, this corps is earning those marks.

Edited by Whiskey

Allow me to give you some freindly advice - if I were you, I'd just shut up and keep quiet for a while.

Good for you, your corps is scoring high. In California. Maybe it means something, maybe it doesn't. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but why don't you give the rest of the country a chance to actually SEE your corps so we can form our own opinion - instead of trying to over-hype everything you do.

We get it, you're good. I congratulate the members and staff for all their work. But keep in mind that almost every other corps has been on tour, away from home for about five weeks straight. They have been battling lack of sleep, upset schedules, bus problems, bug bites, hard floors, dirty laundry and everything else a life on the road brings with it. The highlight of the week is a Wal-Mart stop.

Try as you may - the rest of the drum corps community is not going to fully embrace a group that has been home for weeks, sleeping in their own beds, enjoying their own bathroom and practicing all day, every day. Yes, I understand the money thing, the need for a limited tour and the fact that you didn't write the rules... you only used them to your benefit (as you should have). But please keep in mind that the luxuries you enjoy today have not, and will never be enjoyed by the other full touring corps. So maybe you could tone it down a little bit.

P.S. Those of us who have been there before know that this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. A lot will happen in these last few weeks.

:blink::lol::blink::blink:

While it may be pointless, I so see where this thought is coming from. More practice and rest may equal an advantage for a corps; maybe not. Judges at major shows haven't seen them. Disadvantage? Maybe so. I think what he is trying to say is "fair is fair". It doesn't seem as fair to the kids who come home after finals and sleep for a week because they are so exhausted from tour. But, the corps who doesn't tour as much doesn't have as much fun either, so that's a disadvantage to them. When they are older and look back on their drum corps experience, will they have the memories that the other corps have, finals caliber or not? They'll remember that nice soft bed and cushy bathroom experience while other kids will remember the escapades on the bus, the contra pile drivers that resulted in an ever-interesting contortion, and venues that gave them goose bumps. All-summer tours have the advantage in my opinion. It's the experience that wins out in the end. FOREVER.

So, I'm assuming you're with AA right now and know all of this for fact, yes?

As to the points I highlighted...

1) Rest? I don't seem to remember getting too much rest after doing every-days. That may just be me, though.

2) Yeah, you're right. It's not fair since those all the AA "kids" have to look forward to when they get back are their personal masseuse and martinis

3) Yeah. They probably aren't having any fun forming or strengthening relationships within AA. And now that they're in show mode again, it's going to take all of the fun out of the next 3 1/2 weeks.

4) So, since you are with them, you do know their sleeping arrangements, yeah? Me not being there, I'd really like to know. Besides, I didn't realize that 100% of their membership came from the Tempe area. Good for them!

5) Again, you're right. These "kids" won't experience much this summer.

I have to ask... Do you really think these "kids" aren't experiencing drum corps now and they'll regret their decision years from now?

Is there a way to type me stammering????

For the love of all that is holy.................

:lol: