BEST photo of the year!

There was this one time Mark Crimm and Chuck Norris met...it was called Hiroshima.

I thought they were related?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'm pleased with the response this picture has generated. At the suggestion of the folks on the Trooper's board, I submitted the following edited version to dcEYE. We'll see if it makes the press:

Thanks for all the compliments, but Mark's the star in this one. We just happened to be lucky enough to witness and snap the picture.

Jeff

Well, let the entire corps know we're proud of them and welcome back! Edited by skajerk

The Trooper DM's handling of this situation is simply awsome. The ROTC training showed it's worth. Maybe the Troopers have trained all of their DM's this way over the years, I don't know. I like this. I don't blame the others however, because this is learned behavior. They were not taught. Let's not judge them on this incident. It's a lost tradition. Let's consider it a lesson. This tradition is worthy of revival.

Over the years the activity has departed from it's military past. Some organizations more than others. No blaming, just reality. Heck, I marched in a very non "military bearing", fairly irreverant organization that had flags with the zig zag man printed on it. We wore red, white and blue uniforms however, and I think we were patriotic in our own way.

Anyhow, this young man just made us all aware that we forgot about something we should all find important. I'm sure everyone wants to do this right. Let's get it fixed. Somebody knowledgeable should document the long established customs and procedures on how to properly respect the flag at Drum Corps functions and submit to DCI. DCI could institute policy. A simple memo would likely suffice to get everyone back on board. I'd bet there would be very little resistance in reviving this lost tradition. Mostly, we all need reminding.

The oppurtunity to honor these traditions is greatly diminished now that there are no more cumpulsory honor guards, or retreats......let's make sure what little is left has real meaning.

Maybe those "combined hornline" ending to shows could have a color presentation built into them. That would be cool.

I miss retreats.

Question: Do the Troopers still have a honor guard? Does any Jr. Corps?

The Troopers have a long storied tradition of classy drum majors.

Start with Pete Emmons,...he WAS the reason I joined drum corps(and not the Troopers)

Jim McIntire,...another class act.

Mike Depaumalare,.....carried it on.

Those are the ones I knew personally,...I am sure there were many to follow,...but they set the standard demanded by Mr. Jones.

Edited by Appleknocker

ok. i feel like a complete idiot asking this but umm...whats the significance in this picture? i know it an encore performance with a random trooper dm over there...whats the deal?

ok. i feel like a complete idiot asking this but umm...whats the significance in this picture? i know it an encore performance with a random trooper dm over there...whats the deal?

You're not supposed to leave before the national colors, I believe.

My friend, there is NO such thing as a random Trooper DM. They were forged of the same mettle as the men of Valley Forge, Bunker Hill and Yorktown. :)

Scrounged through and finally found what I was looking for. Taken from the Quote Of The Summer, Why I LOVE the Troopers thread...

From The Cavaliers' message boards...

"As I sit here on the Forth of July remembering my day in the Dayton area this past Monday and our country remembers another birthday, one of the most wonderful traditions of the drum corps world comes to mind.

The other evening at the show in Centerville, OH, I was on the field getting ready to watch the encore that would be performed by the Cavaliers. The scores from DCI were about ready to be announced and the drum majors from all performing units were "front and center". The scores were announced and the the Cavaliers and Bluecoats hornlines were in arc to perform "America the Beautiful". The announcer invited the drum major of the Bluecoats to conduct while dismissing the other drum majors. One other drum major did not move. The Bluecoats Honor Guard came to the front for the song. The other drum major still did not budge. After the song was played and the announcer said over the PA, "And now all other drum majors are dismissed" and laughed. This drum major was unaffected and stood ground. Others did not get it, but then it hit me. Tradition. The Bluecoats Honor Guard finally started to leave the field, and the "other" drum major followed.

The "other" drum major was the young man from the Troopers following the honor and tradition of the respect of representing his corps and what his corps represents. If I remember correctly, the tradition is never walk in front of the colors when they are being presented, but to let them lead.

It's so nice to know that some things don't change, and probably never will!

It was my honor to witness this and would be proud to do so many more times!

Thank you Mark Crimm.

Bob Cannon

A Longtime Fan from the South"

And now that I read this over again, it looks like Mark has had to do a few times this summer.

Old School. Gotta love it.

well, that is true. I agree completely.

That kind of tradition comes from a time when they always did things like that. The reasons for doing it and the teaching of it, as well as instilling the appreciation and understanding of doing that kind of thing in members has been lost over the years. Not just to drum corps, but to society as well. I'm not blaming anyone or the youth of today, I'm just saying that in our world of hustle and bustle and "Hurry! Hurry! Quick! Quick!" ... respect and traditions like this have gone by the wayside. So much so that it might have taken a few people at this show a few minutes to understand what was going on here. I don't think we've intentionally or purposefully let acts like this by the Troopers DM slip, though, just kind of "squeezed out" and forgotten about them.

It takes a gesture and an act of respect, as done here by the Troopers DM, to make people take note of what was once normal, and remind us all of the pride we might all have in us and in our hearts. Remember back when your Dad used to make you stand up at a parade and put your hand over your heart when the American Flag passed by?

Hat's off to the Troopers... and their class-act DM. That's awesome. :blink:

Case in point...

But don't be offended dcijay by my using your post to make my point of my post above. You aren't foolish for asking your question... and I'm not making a fool of you.

I'm just saying that the teaching of this type of gesture has kind of gone away with the generation that is now passing on... the "Greatest Generation" as Tom Brokaw called it.