Best Drum Corps Show Moment of all Time?

If this has been brought up already...Oh well...1973, DeKalb Ill. First time Santa Clara did the Bottle Dance. I was facing away from the crowd but could hear them over the sound of cymbals being beaten senseless by snare drummers. When I did get a chance to face them again...Priceless <$1 to Mastercard...no, it's in the mail>

Edited by Tansea

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As stated before impossible to single it down... but for me musically, 2003 Cavaliers Miles davis section. Particualarily where the brass form an outline of a box and guard is dancing inside said box, and they are just wailing and having fun.... the chord changes... :lol:

I had a moment watching the Seattle Cascades in 2006. I watched what I thought was a disaster in Denver, turn out to be a really beautiful miracle by finals.

This year, (though i must throw in my abhoration for the narration....hey that rhymed) the Cadets first big hit in the opener makes me sexually frisky. This is of course a figure of speech, but i am just trying to prove a point that it was that good.

And beyond that, Every single corps continues to blow me away with their talent each year.

And then there must be an honorable mention for the Purple Lancers from back in the day.

If "of all time" means the DCI era, plus pre-DCI, including senior/all-age corps......

way too many moments to narrow it down to one.

Just call me Captain Cop-Out. :P

Seriously.... a few classic moments that come to mind:

SCV's Bottle Dance.... Cadets' Z-pull..... Troopers' sunburst.....NY Skyliners' Traffic Jam...... Hawthorne Caballeros' "Rumps."

Fran

As stated before impossible to single it down... but for me musically, 2003 Cavaliers Miles davis section. Particualarily where the brass form an outline of a box and guard is dancing inside said box, and they are just wailing and having fun.... the chord changes... :lol:

I'm glad you liked all of that stuff. The 3rd movement that year was so much fun to perform. I'm going to nitpick a bit, though.

The "Miles Davis" section was just the part where everyone is facing back field, doing their own thing, playing that groovy rhythm. The diamond around the guard was just referred to as the "shout" or the "shout chorus". The modulation in that section didn't exist for the first part of the season, and it was only three measures long. If you can find an early-season recording, you can hear this. It just felt sort of awkward, so I'm glad they added the two extra measures with the modulation.

Also, if you hadn't noticed, the last half of the drum break, starting with the rotating boxes, is all in 7/8 time, marching the eighth note all the way to the end of that movement. It made for an interesting time.

I've got a few:

-SCV 1989, from the line push to the end

-Cadets 1987. Basucally the whole show does it for me, but the line hit and dissolve at the end was awesome.

-Cadets 1983, the S-Pull at the end of Rocky Point Holiday

-One that very few may agree upon. Cadets 1990, when they began the Z-Pull at the very end, then stopped and reversed it. That was the most awesome drill move I have ever seen from the Cadets, before or since

-Phantom 2003, the Canon plug at the end

-The very last grand finale ever performed by Star of Indiana. The 1993 closer

-The double crosses at the end of Star 1991

-Velvet Knights 1992. The whole show, but if I had to pick one moment for me, it would be when they faked the bottle dance

-Boston Crusaders 2000, Time to Say Goodbye. Need I say more?

-Crossmen 1992, the question mark

All time best moment in drum corps, and it wasn't even junior corps, but it was based on junior corps.

1994 27th Lancers Alumni performance of Crown Imperial and Danny Boy. If that didn't get your heart pumping and tears flowing, nothing ever will my friends. Nothing ever will.

Suncoast Sound 1984 - Sirens dissipating into silence...S.O.S. in Morse Code...Recreation of the Memorial Wall...and the white balloon(s) flying away. Oh yeah, the solo was moving too. Shivers every time...

Can't get much better than that... :angel:

sswall.gifsscrosses.gif

The Requiem!!! Yep. Definitely one of my top moments.

I'd also add:

'84 Suncoast- The A-bomb/mushroom cloud drill, and the waving flag drill while playing America The Beautiful

'85 Suncoast- "The Lick" (heck... what am I saying? The entire show!)

'83 Garfield- The "Z" pull, the beautiful playing of Barbara Maroney ('84 as well)

'84 BD- LA Fiesta. 'Nuff said

'82-83 SCV- Appalachian Spring

'83 SCV- the Dream Sequence (from The Red Pony)

'84 SCV- The Tenderland

'85 SCV- The tunnel, The Tender Land/Red Pony