Don,

You and I shared the same field many times in the '60s and '70s, my upstate brother. The Crusaders had some superior corps.

The importance of "family" in drum corps was monumental in the 60's and 70's and most likely is today ... Frank, I have a question though ... regarding the last pic of the 66 PAL drumline ... you knew the corps intimately ... as a brass guy (or, as we used to call them, horn guy) what was your impression of what they brought to the table as a local "urban" youth group corps? ... and to the national success of the PAL? ... we already know your love for the guard ... :inlove:/> ... but, they too played a huge role in the PAL's success ...

Andy "just one of those drummers from 66" Lisko

Edited by ajlisko

Don,

You and I shared the same field many times in the '60s and '70s, my upstate brother. The Crusaders had some superior corps.

yes we did frank. and those were some great times! thumbup.gif

Edited by donincardona

The importance of "family" in drum corps was monumental in the 60's and 70's and most likely is today ... Frank, I have a question though ... regarding the last pic of the 66 PAL drumline ... you knew the corps intamently ... as a brass guy (or, as we used to call them, horn guy) what was your impression of what they brought to the table as a local "urban" youth group corps? ... and to the national success of the PAL? ... we already know your love for the guard ... :inlove:/> ... but, they too played a huge role in the PAL's success ...

Andy "just one of those drummers from 66" Lisko

Andy,

It would be difficult to overstate the positive influence of inner city drum corps organizations in those days. PAL, CYO, Legion, VFW, parish and other groups literally saved lives.

In many cases, what we would now term "at-risk" youngsters were "coaxed" into these organizations as an option to punishment for anti-social behaviors of one sort or another, or exhibiting the potential thereof. The whole concept of the Police Athletic League is predicated on this alternative to street life. This is not to say all members were wanna-be gangsters, but the early intervention certainly provided a viable direction for the youngster who had the need to belong to a group, often as a surrogate family.

Bridgeport and Philadelphia PAL are prime examples, as are the CMCC Warriors, Carter Cadets, the Wynn Center Toppers, Page Park Cadets, St. Raphael's, the Stockton Commodores...the list is lengthly.

For the life of me I simply do not understand why there is not more universal support for groups like the Spirit of New Jersey, PAL Bucs, Annapolis Drum and Bugle Corps, New York Crimson Kings and the other similar corps that are sprinkled throughout urban areas in this country.

Let me be clear: I do not mean to imply that DCA, DCI or anybody else should take a lead role here. They have their own struggles. Encouragement and support should come from those of us who were fortunate enough to have benefitted from membership in urban corps and understand their importance.

It's the "season of giving". Write a check and send it to one of these groups. It's a payback. If you can't write a check, write a letter or send an email to the mayor encouraging the city to give all possible assistance to these folks.

We used to stand on retreat at CYO shows and listen to the cardinal or bishop heap nonsensical praise on us for being "the good kids". We all knew we weren't so good.

Imagine what we'd have been like without the corps.

(Well, he sure gets fired up about this, don't he?)

• Like 5

For the life of me I simply do not understand why there is not more universal support for groups like the Spirit of New Jersey, PAL Bucs, Annapolis Drum and Bugle Corps, New York Crimson Kings and the other similar corps that are sprinkled throughout urban areas in this country.

Never even heard of Annapolis D&BC before this year but believe they were watching Prelims this year. If it was the group they were at the far end of the stadium near the endzone and hope they got a break on those tickets.

PS took some digging but

https://sites.google.com/site/theannapolisdrumandbuglecorps/

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Family is not completely gone on the "junior" side, actually.

When Tony Odello founded the Blue Devils in the '50s, I wonder if he could have predicted that there would be 8 Odellos who would eventually march, teach and manage in that organization, right down to the present day:

Daughter Annette( DM, color guard, still manages the BD Twirling Corps),sons Tony and Rick (both in the drumline when BD won their 1st DCI; Rick taught the drumline for several years and now directs both the B and C corps), daughter-in-law Debbie (color guard, now BD office manager), grandsons Ryan, Andrew, Rick and Adam (all won several DCI titles with the corps; Ryan is currently program coordinator/instructor for the B Corps.)

That's a lot of drum corps DNA for one family.

On the other side, I believe I am the only Dorritie who ever marched in any drum corps, anywhere. But that's ok, too. I always thought of all the rest of you as my family anyway.

Our friend Ray Fallon's family also has generational roots in junior corps. :thumbup:

Never even heard of Annapolis D&BC before this year but believe they were watching Prelims this year. If it was the group they were at the far end of the stadium near the endzone and hope they got a break on those tickets.

PS took some digging but

https://sites.google.com/site/theannapolisdrumandbuglecorps/

Jim, a couple of years ago the members of the Annapolis corps came to the Dixie Stinger indoor concert here in the Baltimore area, as spectators. And until that day, I had never heard of them either.

Frank's right... they are a throwback to another era, and I'm glad they're around and doing their best to give the corps members a positive experience!

Edited by Fran Haring

Jim, a couple of years ago the members of the Annapolis corps came to the Dixie Stinger indoor concert here in the Baltimore area, as spectators. And until that day, I had never heard of them either.

Frank's right... they are a throwback to another era, and I'm glad they're around and doing their best to give the corps members a positive experience!

Maybe DCP could set up a new section to bring these grass roots corps to light: not DCI, not DCA, not Alumni, no particular affiliation to anything ... maybe someone could interview Lily Woo of the Skyliners who has close ties to the Crimson Kings for starters ...

:-)