That thump you just heard was my father rolling over in his grave

17. An angel gets its wings.

Ain't I supposed to hear a bell first????

Or is the clinking of our 11 pound dogs tags good enough? :satisfied:

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

double post .. AO-H-E-double hockey sticks is doing great tonight :satisfied:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

. . .and, yes, quite frankly, since the Scouts are now:

1) the first ones to really go out there and say "we needs some synths" before anyone else has . . .er, "officially" . . .

and

2) certain parts of their identity they've established over the years (the "crowd first" philosophy, "louder, faster, higher", etc) are somewhat at odds with the future they now pursue that seems to indicate grabbing at whatever new stuff DCI throws at them.

Those two things seperate them from Hop and company right now . . .and as surely as George has built his fortunes on "the pursuit of the edge", the Madison Scouts have been the traditional "crowd pleaser" and that's what makes this a little larger in the off-season, IMO.

I hope this move towards the political center of DCI works, though . . .'cause if it doesn't these next few years, then they end up not only astray from those tenets above that set them apart to begin with, but more than likely becoming just another corps that apes the big boys in order to try to get to Saturday night again.

Hmmm... seems your logic is bass-ackwards here. Since the Scouts announced the use of synths FIRST, then everyone else would be the apes by definition.

the way you are all talking it sounds like synths are causing the apocalypse... oh man, ready everyone take a chill pill. I'm pretty sure a lot of corps will have a synth in the pit this year, not just the scouts.

i personally think they should make the synth players strap 'em on and march. fun stuff...

No, he specified the second sentence. Why would anyone have a problem with a synth? :angry::thumbup::satisfied:

Because it is neither brass nor percussion.

synths!!! My god they'll have a girl in the ranks next!!! :satisfied:

They've already done that...twice.

Are you sure Lassiter used a synth? I saw them perform two nights ago and I know they amped their pit, but I don't remember seeing a synth. I could be wrong though.

I plainly saw a synthesizer rolled onto the field by a Lassiter pit member from my front row seat at McEachern. From my seat, which was on about the 10 :satisfied: (again, my band was single-A there), I couldn't tell that the pit was amped, but I saw the synth twice: when Lassiter's pit entered the gate, and when they exited the field.

I plainly saw a synthesizer rolled onto the field by a Lassiter pit member from my front row seat at McEachern. From my seat, which was on about the 10 :satisfied: (again, my band was single-A there), I couldn't tell that the pit was amped, but I saw the synth twice: when Lassiter's pit entered the gate, and when they exited the field.

Weird. I never heard it in the show.

Ohhhhhh! I always thought it was, if you weren't as good as others, you sit outside looking in. Thanks for clearing that up.

right. and when was the last time a hornline in G made finals. there is bleedover. narration to date has been the anamoly, only because 95% of what has been done has been done poorly

Honestly, I don't - the introduction of voice has been a bit of a mess so far, and before we've even gotten that fixed (where's it being judged again?), we're just adding more. And in retrospect, there are far *more* shows with voice that haven't worked for the audience than have.

Mike

don't forget, having the sound guy outside the field proper has cleared up all those pesky balance issues

:satisfied: