DO NOT PLAY LIST.

Also on the DO NOT PLAY LIST...Theme from Night of the Living Dead... because this is yet another DCP zombie thread!! :lol:

Odd story:

Distributors forgot to put copyright notice on the film when it had a title change right before release, and that film is in the public domain! There are a TON of DVD releases, a few unauthorized sequels, etc. There is also a dispute in ownership between Director/co-writer George Romero and co-writer John Russo. Romero is able to release films with 'just' the "...OF THE DEAD" in the title, while Russo is allowed to release films with "...OF THE LIVING DEAD."

Yep: avid horror/movie fan

Edited by perc2100

And, let's face it, there are a lot of things that are wonderful pieces of music, but just don't translate well to drumcorps instrumentation and format. Say, like John Cage's 4'33", or Phillip Glass' "Einstein on the Beach" (a full "opera" where each movement is over 15 minutes long), or the soundtrack to the movie "Forbidden Planet"...

I wonder how that crow tasted. Too funny.

• Like 5

Chuck Mangione was a big supporter of his music being played in Drum Corps. He never balked at it. His voluntary appearance to sit for 3 and a half hours in the booth at Finals and give commentary throughout speaks to his support of both the activity itself and his music being played by Corps. Do not confuse his naturally very quiet demeanor and layed back personality as any indication of less support than Maynard Ferguson. Ferguson was a ball of energy and never at a loss for words. That was just his personality. Mangione and Ferguson were both equally supportive of the activity and of their music being creatively altered for the environment of a Drum Corps competition. Its a shame we don't have similarly well known brass musicians and well known music composers of today being as freely willing to support the activity at DCI Finals as these 2 well known musicians and composers did back in the 70's, 80's at Finals.

Last night I watched the 1983 Legacy DVD and if I haven't watched a DVD in a while, I watch the Steve R/Michael C perspective first, and what did I hear but Chuck Mangione being blown away, so perhaps I remember it wrong, I know he's not as over the top as Maynard Ferguson, and if he volunteered as you say, that's commendable. I know there were some amazing arrangements of Mangione's music by Bridgemen, North Star, and Blue Devils to name a few, but i also seem to remember an interview where he made a comment that many groups played his music but he did not recognize it and some in drum corps took offense to it. I believe John Williams said something similar about his music and half time shows.

Thanks to the OP for introducing this topic.

As a variation on the theme, how about a list of SONGS YOU WISH WERE ON THE NO PLAY LIST SO THAT DRUM CORPS COULD NOT PLAY THEM.

My first nominee would be I Like You by Got7.

• Like 1

As for CMs quiet personality, he played at my college about the time "Feels So Good" came out.

Flashed back to my band director days, I aranged "Feels So Good" for my band, the year it was a big hit...probably the WORST tune CM ever produced. I was totally sick of it by the end of band camp. :tounge2:

• Like 1

Thanks to the OP for introducing this topic.

As a variation on the theme, how about a list of SONGS YOU WISH WERE ON THE NO PLAY LIST SO THAT DRUM CORPS COULD NOT PLAY THEM.

My first nominee would be I Like You by Got7.

Agreed. No one can beat how BD used it this year.

• Like 5

the Closer for 2008 Cavaliers was Hans Zimmer from "The Last Samurai."

BAC also used hans zimmer in 2013.