Favorite Single Sections

Going even further on this theme... La Fiesta contains probably the most well placed, bad ### snare rim shot of all time. For a split second in the second to last push, the brass line drops out, and all you can hear is the crowd cheering, and "GAK!". Beautiful. I have always loved that note.

Do you mean after the last halt after we're blasting our brains out...just as we drop the volume before the leg spread and last statement??

If you have the vid....a time check? Just curious here.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean after the last halt after we're blasting our brains out...just as we drop the volume before the leg spread and last statement??

If you have the vid....a time check? Just curious here.

On the fan network the rim shot happens between 9:22 and 9:23. After the soprano trio goes higher, higher, higher, the corps halts. Then between count 4 of that bar and count 1 of the next.

I love it. It gets me every time.

2005 Cadets: In the ballad when the girl pushes and pulls the snare line into different forms and such. Very cool moment. In fact, the whole ballad is awesome.

2000 Cadets: Tenor feature. Trumpet player wave. All of those kicks... Great show.

1995 Cavaliers: Jupiter

2008 Cavaliers: Jumping

1989 Phantom Regiment: Reprise of the opening theme.

1989 Santa Clara Vanguard: The cymbal line prancing in "Masquerade" and of course the Company Front.

1996 Madison Scouts: Trumpet quartet into the triangle into the massive line at the end. I always want to get up and yell when I watch it.

1991 Star Of Indiana: Cross to Cross.

etc...

Bluecoats '08 reprise of the Boxer on the sideline. One of the major highlights of the season. Unfortunately I don't end up listening to it much on APD because it's embedded in the rest of the show.

I usually just skip the first 3 1/2 "rounds" and just start at the low brass chorale.

On the fan network the rim shot happens between 9:22 and 9:23. After the soprano trio goes higher, higher, higher, the corps halts. Then between count 4 of that bar and count 1 of the next.

I love it. It gets me every time.

Ok....I see where it is...a little earlier than I'd thought. I kinda see where you're coming from.

Seeing as how people are adding more than one, I'll continue the fun...

1983 Spirit of Atlanta...Los Hermanos De Bop! Awesome, awesome, awesome! If they would bring back that piece, as an openner (along with the baby blues and big 'ol deltas), I'll push for them to be back in the Top 12!

1982 Blue Devils...T.O. is too much fun! I love that piece! Blue Devil's design team, listen up! Bring back T.O.!

1987 Florida Wave...Coconut Champagne! Sweeeet openner!

1988 Florida Wave...Mira, Mira. Smooooth!

1987 Blue Knights...Savanah River Holiday!

1994 and 1999 Blue Knights...Trittico!

Boston Crusaders non-Top 12 years...Conquest!

Blue Stars...Soulero! Ahhh, the strains of Soulero! That piece just screams Blue Stars and brings back more fond memories of days gone by. Alrighty Blue Stars design squad! Add Soulero to your list of encore and concert music, and you may start to regain some of this old grump's faith again!

*This definitely ranks as a great feel good thread!

Edited by shortn'sour

Seeing as how people are adding more than one, I'll continue the fun...

Me too...

In addition to the Cadets "Moondance"...

1971 Blue Rock's "Requiem for the Masses" closer, where the corps did a center wheel to get the entire corps over the end zone line. My favorite part of that great show.

One I marched...

1971 Cadets closer..."Profiles in Courage" with a sudden faux "reentry" to the baritone lead swing section of our "Yankee Doodle" opener and then a sudden turn back to the endzone as we left the field to the full ensemble swing "Yankee Doodle".

1969 BAC swing version of "Conquest" as their opener.

27th Lancers any year they did "Crown Imperial", my all-time favorite opener. I'd add their "Danny Boy" closer, but it's been mentioned already.

1980 Spirit of Atlanta "Georgia/Old Man River" opener and "Let it be Me" closer...two great bookends to a show!

1990 Regiment Organ Symphony, another of my favorite drum corps tunes.

1997 Cadets "Year of the Dragon"

1976 Bridgemen "What I did for Love" and "One" closer, from "A CHorus Line".

2004 Crown "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Wow... so many to choose from. Without a doubt, these three are in a dead heat.

--Star of Indiana 1991: First two minutes (The company front blows my freaking mind!!!!!!!!!!)

--Star of Indiana 1991: Cross to Cross... speechless

--Phantom 08: "I am Spartacus" to the end. :worthy:

1984 Devils - La Fiesta is my favourite drum corps "single" to listen to. Not that the rest of the show wasn't great (loved Bacchanalia), but La Fiesta is just soooo good.

I have to agree with you Adam. That was an incredible section from an incredible show. They really blew your hair back with the intensity, volume, and excitement of the piece. I think that is the BEST version of La Fiesta a drum corps has ever done. I still remember vividly sitting in a part in Stillwater, MN listening to BD play a standstill, and being absoltuely blown away. 84 BD still get's a lot of play in my drum corps rotation.

Fave Single Section of all time

1992 - Cavaliers - Gavorkna Fanfare - Trumpet quasi double tounge / watered down MELODY feature

Brass MELODY!!! after botched SOPRANO solo on a bad ### tune by Malcolm Arnold.

--- Percussion feature f'ing bad!

1992 Blue Devils - Poison lick from multiple tenor

1990 - Devils - Percussion feature... They just don't write them that juicy and developed any more.

Solo and MELODY work by brass line at the end of Tommy

1991 Devils - Soprano feature in Conversations (?)In Texas that feature would have received a two but I love it for it's ballsiness! Definintely not ballzheimers.

Devils 1993 - Trio quartet (?) ensemble work by Scott and those bad baris(in a good way) Y'all know where. It's when Scott I guess, starts going into that 16 note lick, tounge two slur two upper tessitura bop ! WOW!

1989 Cadets - On my own Wow.

1989 Scouts - Make His Praise. It's just drum corps at it's finest and a truly underated show in Scouts lore. Actually, MHP is still a highly performed work for hs bands across the country!

SLAUGHTER!!! The definitive version of this piece

1994 - Trio to open the show. That's pro level folks... Madison had some ringers through thier time line folks. Kids

That to me always get my blood going. That call, you know. It's just a good mode to play those bulgles on.

MORE LATER!

Crown 2004, baritone feature in the opener.

While I think the entire opener turned people's heads and made people realize what a great brass program Crown had, this is the moment where I knew that Crown was going to be a force to be reckoned with for many years to come.