Blue Stars and...

"It will not bite."

Says who ? ! I've heard plenty of clarinets that bite :tongue: !

I laughed so incredibly hard I thought I might have to change boxers. Good stuff! :thumbup:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was under the impression that the picture WAS a joke. Far be it from true that DCP would ever presume something and go off on giant diatribes and rants about how obnoxious, innapropiate, and untraditional something they don't even know to be true.

A friend on the internet told me that the Blue Stars have a flute, too. Discuss [Make **** up].

Clarinet is probably the WORST instrument for drum corps. It is actually made of wood. Clarinets crack when they're exposed to different temperatures, climate changes, weather changes, etc., incredibly easily. I've seen it happen just from someone going from a marching band field directly into a concert band practice. It is expensive to fix - almost not worth it.

A drum corps spends three months on the road, traveling to and from different temperatures, going through several climate changes, and experiencing several weather changes. If you must bring in woodwinds to drum corps, bring saxes and (God forbid) flutes, but definitely not clarinet! Bad bad bad idea!

As a heads up, clarinet is my primary instrument, and I love my clarinet. But I love drum corps more, and I feel solid on my stance about clarinets on tour.

That said, if Blue Stars are willing to do it, I'm very curious to hear their encore piece now.

There's simply no way a corps would pay for wood clarinets on tour. The bores would not be able to handle it. They'd have to be plastic/composite like just every high school band kid uses. And plastic clarinet just sound like doo. Please no.

I think we should have an oboe quintet!

I think some young, energetic band directors need to turn their BOA groups into drum and bugle corps.

Why do folks feel the need to change our activity into something different? If you want a professional marching band, start your own circuit. It wasn't easy for DCI (probably still isn't) but somebody had to get the ball rolling.

Clarinets don't belong in drum corps . . .even in encores.

Because...?

Oh sure, that's how it starts.

It's just for I&E...

It's just for encore...

It's just in the pit...

It's just 10 marching members...

It's just half the corps...

Can't you see where this will lead? A WHOLE CORPS MADE UP OF CLARINETS!!!!

:thumbup:

Hahahahaha! Well played, sir!

I heard he is pretty good, plays baritone for marching I think.

But yeah, this is just the beginning of the end.

Looks like a good trial balloon so we can see the inevitable "amped woodwinds in the pit" proposal long about 2011 or so. . .

Anyway, no offense to Blue Stars past or present, but . . . that's one encore I'll be skipping.

Encore? I&E?

Sure go ahead. I'll gladly skip your performance though. Not my thing, sorry.

How do you skip one song in an encore? Run real fast until you can't hear the clarinet, then run back to hear the other songs? Will you just plug your ears with your fingers and go "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"?

When D.C.I has killed the activity.Turn to D.C.A and we will still have good old fashion drum corps and i have not gone a to D.C.A show in 25 years i still go to D.C.I but woodwinds crosses the line and i will be done.As for the guy crying because he will never get to march because he plays woodwinds.I say man up when i marched my wife that i met in corps was a dam good clarinet player clear throygh collage but she also played a mean french horn.

Well, assuming that this clarinet-in-an-encore thing isn't just a rumor (which I doubt), did you miss the part where the player is a member of the brassline? I've known many sax players that join corps and play mello or euph or whatever. NOBODY is childish enough to complain they can't play their instrument in drum corps. They just take the month to learn how to play a brass instrument marginally well, then learn the rest at camps.

How do you skip one song in an encore? Run real fast until you can't hear the clarinet, then run back to hear the other songs? Will you just plug your ears with your fingers and go "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"?

different strategy... just boo. You already got your ticket, so they have your money. That's they only way they will know people are unhappy. Don't want to get booed? Don't do something that people don't like.

or is booing just for when the Cadets do things people don't like...

What a bunch of DBs posting to this thread. When the Blue Stars announced their Indianapolis grand premier, they said they would be have individual performances by Blue Star members. I would guess this is what you are seeing. DCI has woodwinds competing in IE DCI week. This is no big deal and to think that anyone would walk out on a kid or boo a kid when he is giving an individual performance is simply asinine.

CALM DOWN.

It's a clarinet. I play one.

It will not bite.

It will not steal your girlfriend/wife.

It does not plan to take over the world.

It's a piece of wood.

Now a FLUTE, on the other hand, will steal your girlfriend. Or at least...