When will Cadets catch Crown?

Have not seen either corps live this year but I will come July 7 in Suffolk. My thinking is Crown is this years Cinderella corps just like Garfield Cadets were back in 1983. I believe Crown is a sure top 3 corps this year, but hey the season is still early.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throw another corps into the mix, and watch where those captions start landing. The first regional always tends to bring surprises when it's harder for judges to slot or write down a score that doesn't take a judgement call.

Cadets will get ###### off, and everything will be all better. Think about 2003, when they were getting destroyed by Cavies early season, and then finished .15 behind them at finals. Not to say they'll eventually win, but they'll eventually be clean.

And I also don't understand why '08 is an issue. There have been a few Cadets corps thast haven't been clean... '86, '99, '04, '06... But check out how they did in '87, '00, '05, and '07. Different corps, different show... It's time to let '08 go.

First of all, it doesn't REALLY matter who wins at the end of the year! Trust me, it doesn't. Some of my favorite shows - SCV 87, Phantom 89, Star 90, Cadets 92, Star 93, Crown 07 - by most accounts, those are CLASSIC shows, yet they didn't win. In some of those cases, the shows that didn't win (and didn't even come in 2nd) are the ones that people are still talking about.

Second, there is nothing seriously wrong with the GE of HNC. They are not getting "killed" in GE. They are simply scoring marginally lower across the board. To me, this show has potential to be a classic, no matter where it places.

Third, Crown has obviously started the season very well. Their staff prepared them very well. But remember, the Devils usually start the season very well also. They do very well with that formula, but it doesn't necessarily mean they will stay ahead until the end.

Fourth, go back and read my first paragraph again!

I know that a lot of people will disagree with me... probably the majority actually... But I have to imagine getting that medal put around your neck and having your ring finger weighed down like that is an awesome feeling. Plus the bragging rights "yeah I was with (Holy Name/Crown/That corps) when they won it in '09. I have to imagine calling yourself a world champion is a pretty amazing feeling.

Cadets will get ###### off, and everything will be all better. Think about 2003, when they were getting destroyed by Cavies early season, and then finished .15 behind them at finals. Not to say they'll eventually win, but they'll eventually be clean.

Siloam Springs, Arkansas, 2003. It was about 2.5 weeks before finals. I was doing souvie booth duty - where a corps member hangs out there in uniform during retreat (yes we still had retreat) and talks to fans. I thought I heard the scores wrong, because it sounded like we were 4 points behind the cavaliers...SERIOUSLY!?!?!....4 POINTS. The fact that we never actually did catch them didnt bother me much - we passed them in pretty much every performance caption we could....just didnt have the GE. For years people have looked at that 03 corps as an example of playing catchup - not in placement....we went from third to....well, 3rd, but in terms of the show, we went from a bag of crap, to one of the cleanest cadet corps ever. Good times...and to this day, 2003 cavaliers is one of my 'guilty pleasure' favorite shows (sorry if that sounds dirty...)

Siloam Springs, Arkansas, 2003. It was about 2.5 weeks before finals. I was doing souvie booth duty - where a corps member hangs out there in uniform during retreat (yes we still had retreat) and talks to fans. I thought I heard the scores wrong, because it sounded like we were 4 points behind the cavaliers...SERIOUSLY!?!?!....4 POINTS. The fact that we never actually did catch them didnt bother me much - we passed them in pretty much every performance caption we could....just didnt have the GE. For years people have looked at that 03 corps as an example of playing catchup - not in placement....we went from third to....well, 3rd, but in terms of the show, we went from a bag of crap, to one of the cleanest cadet corps ever. Good times...and to this day, 2003 cavaliers is one of my 'guilty pleasure' favorite shows (sorry if that sounds dirty...)

I love 03 Cavies as well. I didn't really see too much of that season because I was deployed, but I remember hearing how far behind Cadets were and then they caught up to them.

But I am also thinking about 2005, when Cadets were behind most of the season and then caught up in the end.

Or 1998 where Cadets were third in Semis and then came out of nowhere to come in first.

We'll see what happens, I'm just glad I am going to finals this year.

This post is rather amusing. Earlier in the year someone was asking if Crown could ever catch the Cadets. He/she didn't seem to think this was possible. Now, however, the shoe is on the other foot, so to speak. IMO, Crown, at this point in time, is in a position to win it all. Go Crown!!

I love 03 Cavies as well. I didn't really see too much of that season because I was deployed, but I remember hearing how far behind Cadets were and then they caught up to them.

But I am also thinking about 2005, when Cadets were behind most of the season and then caught up in the end.

Or 1998 where Cadets were third in Semis and then came out of nowhere to come in first.

We'll see what happens, I'm just glad I am going to finals this year.

Well, the 3rd place in 1998 (quarters?) was actually a fluke. They were otherwise pretty much poised to win going into finals week, Ibelieve.

But yes, gotta keep the faith! Tough to see your corps 'down', but there are 10,000 examples of things like this 'not mattering' in the end. 1990, 6 regional winners!!

I really wish people would at least try to be a little more objective about these things. I personally have not marched neither Crown nor Cadets, but thankfully, I can be objective no matter the circumstance (or at least I try).

From what I've seen, both corps have demanding shows. There are parts of each show that are more demanding than the other.

Right now, I favor Crown's show over the Cadets, but I have historically liked the Cadets more. In response to a prior post about Crown lacking "hit points" like years past, I totally disagree. There are parts of this show that will definitely get people out of their seats. Along the same lines, the Cadets show is far better than anything of theirs since 2005, IMO.

Finals time will indicate the better corps. obviously. Cadets have been known to push toward the end, but Crown hasn't necessarily been known to falter. We shall see!

This post is rather amusing. Earlier in the year someone was asking if Crown could ever catch the Cadets. He/she didn't seem to think this was possible. Now, however, the shoe is on the other foot, so to speak. IMO, Crown, at this point in time, is in a position to win it all. Go Crown!!

Are you talking about me? If so, that's completely false. If not, then I apologize.

you say they are in line to win it all but we 1. have not met head to head everyone. 2. full panel. 3. not even halfway through the season.