When will Cadets catch Crown?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is exactly my point!! GE wins today!! In the 70's it was execution. Today it is GE!! If Crown wins GE (which I think they will), then the Cadets will have to make it up elsewhere. If Crown executes as well (there has been no one who says that they cannot - some even implying that their show is easy), then there really is no where for them to make up this deficit. This is why I think the Cadets will have a difficult time beating Crown in the end. I may be wrong. I have been many times before, but this is my opinion.

Yes, but while we both think what you're talking about belongs mostly in GE, that does not mean that a show that doesn't have Crown's 'artistic' (I can't think of another word, but I'm implying story/narrative/large swings in style and pace) design isn't just as 'effective'. For example, Cadets ballsy show winning GE over Blue Devils more artistic show in 1997 (BD won).

i saw both corps two nights ago, and the demands placed upon the performers in crown's show are minimal compared to the demands of the cadets' show in all facets -- musical, visual, ensemble, and physical.

crown is clearly more clean and more complete. no one can honestly argue that point, but to say crown's show is more difficult? i just can't see it.

further, i think that if you gave crown the cadets' show, you'd have a trainwreck. the demand is levels above crown's.

:fight::tongue::tongue::ph34r: You are absolutely correct in all that you said

And trainwreck? I don't think so, especially if you're implying that the Cadets are more talented than Crown...which is probably not true, considering that Crown 2009 has many former Cadets, Cavaliers, and Regiment members.

well, i wasn't implying that -- just that the cadets' show is something for which the crown members have not been trained. it is many steps more physically demanding.

right or wrong, the cadets are running and gunning at a pace we haven't seen since 1996-1999.

I don't think he was implying level of talent at all. Crown is not the only corps that has former members of other corps.

I think he was trying to say....if Crown were playing the music book that they are and marching the Cadets drill, I don't think Crown would be pushing that fat sound they have now. BTW, I love Crown's sound. But to get that sound they have taken a different approach to achieving it and it doesn't include marching warp speeds of 200 bpm.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Crown's 3rd portion of their show, Sensemaya, is at over 200 bpm...so you are completely wrong about that.

Is it more difficult to play and march fast all the time or is it harder to show all facets of expression during the show. Which is more difficult? Which is more demanding? I believe the ability to be expressive and good in all facets (not just speed and notes) really separates the corps. It also is more difficult to pull this off.

my experience having marched "fast" shows and "slow" shows and "fast" shows with "slow" parts, marching and playing at 216 is much harder than being expressive -- but that's just me.

well, i wasn't implying that -- just that the cadets' show is something for which the crown members have not been trained. it is many steps more physically demanding.

right or wrong, the cadets are running and gunning at a pace we haven't seen since 1996-1999.

Once again this does not imply that they are better or have a more demanding show. It seems that to you "running and gunning" is all that matters. I believe that drum corps is really more than this.

Crown's 3rd portion of their show, Sensemaya, is at over 200 bpm...so you are completely wrong about that.

Yeah true, but how long is Sensemaya?

Once again this does not imply that they are better or have a more demanding show. It seems that to you "running and gunning" is all that matters. I believe that drum corps is really more than this.

no it doesn't, nor did i say it did. this was not in response to you. it was a comment on the *physical* demands of the show.

It is more than that, but running and gunning is apart of it. Nothing cooler than seeing a bunch of humans running around the field while playing the best music. Just wait for the Cadets to master it.