Columbia FirstBEAT Battle

Thanks!!! All these are great! What camera are you using?

Nice pictures of all the corps. thanks

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets are hurting in music, Crown in visual, and GE is basically a stalemate.

Agreed, although in the last week or so, HNC has beat Crown in brass and in percussion. They may just be going back and forth on these two captions. Drums MAY have been hurt by the sick and hurt members last night (just maybe). Not sure about the flip-flop in brass -- perhaps from some of the new material. *shrugs* But yes, visual has been more strongly in HNC's favor in the last week, and last night's GE Music judge liked HNC more than others have recently it seems.

Just a note to those that might care... Alliance's score was a 67.775 tonight NOT a 57.775 as DCI has posted. It will be corrected later. I have seen the recap sheet from earlier tonight. Thanks!

Funny thing is at 9:00 am it says ALLIANCE scored an 87.775 Scores Recap

Not only are you competing with the big boys in DCA but y'all bested DCI corps!

A few quick thoughts from 28 rows up on the 50 :whistle:

1. Can't type fast enough on my phone to make it worth posting last night - would have loved to.

2. No show at Irmo's W. C. Hawkins stadium is complete without a CSX train blasting through full speed.

3. THANKFULLY a beautiful night - cool - not a drop of rain (at least not a big drop).

4. Great shows - FULL SHOW REPORT coming soon. It is unbelievable how great drum corps sounds in person. The 4 inch computer screen just doesn't compare - though, it's better than nothing.

5. Sat next to a wonderful lady - the grandmother of a Crown mello. I'm not sure if she had ever seen drum corps before, but she seemed to have a great time. She was moved to tears by the final Copeland push.

6. I was a little worried about not being able to hear Crown since the home show is so much about friends and family. Not a problem at all. A great, respectful crowd all around. Except for the CSX train.

-snip-

I was also proud to tell my new to drum corps boyfriend that I am an alumni of Crown; they were spectacular. I loved how they visually and musically broke apart Copeland and the company front at the beginning and then put it back together in the end....very cool. The brass had a lovely sound, and I enjoyed their arrangements. I do however, have a few gripes. Altogether, I find that Crown is---for lack of a better term---effeminate. Oh yes, there WAS marching, but there was just as much prancing, sitting, kneeling, laying, and other relaxing recreational activites going on during the show as there was marching; it was really 50% prancing and 50% actual marching. But, I suppose that's their identity now? My boyfriend (I only add in his commentary because he's objective, I suppose) commented that they were 'cute'. Which pretty much summed up my feelings concerning their show. It's cute.

That being said, I did love Crown's show. I am a Crown fan. However, I can see the reasons behind all of the recent scores, and why they're .35 points ahead. They're sitting, and kneeling, and posing. It sure would have been nice to sit down during an 11 and a half minute show, to catch my breath and so I'd have less to worry about cleaning, but Jeff Sacktig didn't see it that way, so he never wrote that in for me.

-snip-

I felt the urge to single this section out because it describes very well what I think my problem is with Crown's show. I just couldn't quite put my finger on it until you mentioned your boyfriend using the word "cute" to describe what they were doing. In general, I love Crown's show. I listen to the preseason recording every day on my way to and from work. But, in watching Crown's show (mind you, this is via Fan Network VOD'S and Webcasts), the body gyrations just aren't selling it to me. Especially in Sensemaya where the music starts out like a soundtrack for a toy soldier but then builds in intensity, when I LISTEN to the music it has a raw, animalistic...dare I say erotic?..build to it. When I WATCH what they are doing while playing said music, it merely comes across as...well..cute (at best). I also don't get the random "drop to your knees and drag them through the grass for a count" maneuver. I don't see how or what that sells as part of the show. Basically, it just looks weird to me and momentarily takes me out of the show visually.

I love Cadets. I love Crown. I hope they beat the tar out of the West Coast.

I also had a question about this one. I'm just curious, have you seen any of the West Coats shows? I'm not critizing your comment at all, I'm just curious if you've been able to see the gamut of shows for this year and THAT's what makes you want HNC and Crown to beat them, or if has more to do with your prior affiliation with each corps.

Just posted a long review on the Review boards that will finally answer the question: What would The Incredibles think about the Crossmen's uniforms.

I was a bit worried about Cadet's drum line last night but after looking at those great pictures posted (thank you!) I noticed that they were only missing one tenor.

These hurt /ill members that marched deserve a major pat on the back (as long as the back isn't what is injured) for getting out there last night and performing. It shows not only their dedication to their corps but also to the fans who came to watch.

I just hope now that they fully recuperate especially the missing tenor.

This goes out to any other member from all the corps going through the same problems. :whistle:

I also had a question about this one. I'm just curious, have you seen any of the West Coats shows? I'm not critizing your comment at all, I'm just curious if you've been able to see the gamut of shows for this year and THAT's what makes you want HNC and Crown to beat them, or if has more to do with your prior affiliation with each corps.

Haven't seen anyone from the West Coast (or Midwest) yet.....I will in Atlanta.

....and it has more to do with my corps affiliation. It's not that I haven't loved or appreciated the products put out by green team or the blue team or any other color-specific corps, I just "dislike" them in the same way that I "dislike" the Philadelphia Eagles. :)

A few quick thoughts from 28 rows up on the 50 :whistle:

1. Can't type fast enough on my phone to make it worth posting last night - would have loved to.

2. No show at Irmo's W. C. Hawkins stadium is complete without a CSX train blasting through full speed.

3. THANKFULLY a beautiful night - cool - not a drop of rain (at least not a big drop).

4. Great shows - FULL SHOW REPORT coming soon. It is unbelievable how great drum corps sounds in person. The 4 inch computer screen just doesn't compare - though, it's better than nothing.

5. Sat next to a wonderful lady - the grandmother of a Crown mello. I'm not sure if she had ever seen drum corps before, but she seemed to have a great time. She was moved to tears by the final Copeland push.

6. I was a little worried about not being able to hear Crown since the home show is so much about friends and family. Not a problem at all. A great, respectful crowd all around. Except for the CSX train.

I was surprised (and glad) that there was only ONE train, and (in comparison to past shows, both high school and drum corps) they didn't blow their horn nearly as much as they usually do. Blue Stars were louder than the CSX, anyway. :)

I just "dislike" them in the same way that I "dislike" the Philadelphia Eagles. :)

So a pretty deep hatred then??? :whistle: