TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

It must be clear to most of the posters here and other places that DCI has a governing board - the governing board is interested in financial survival as any organization is. To continue to be somewhat viable, they are changing the rules, the game - to extend the viability of the organization.

I have a question. Who is on the governing board and what is their background? Do any have business or marketing experience?

What we have seen and we really don't need DCI to confirm is the following - shows that once were regulars on the schedule, now gone. Attendance at the shows dwindling each year. Cost of ticket prices rising, each year. # of corps struggling to make ends meet each year, increasing. Dues rising each year to where now to march in a world class costs more than several thousands of dollars. Corps coming and going inactive more frequent than not. So with all the change in the rules - - synths, mics, change in the # of the field, or anything else you can think - - the facts are the activity and its members are not making ends meet.

Add in: reduction in number of judges at early shows. Add in that with the fan network being for pay, it's almost impossible to show someone who is not already a fan what the shows are like.

All the changes I've seen to corps rules and show designs seem designed to increase the cost to operate a corps, not to decrease it. That's fine for the top corps who get the lion's share of donations. Do they care that the things that work for them hurt other corps. Or is that part of the plan.

I've seen no corresponding inrease in making the activity have a broader appeal. If anything, it gets narrower every year.

The last time finals aired on ESPN 2, the ratings were not impressive.

I wonder if what DCI needs is for someone from outside the oganization--a marketing consultant perhaps--to take an objective look at their data and operations and give them some analysis and recommendations.

They also need to do some consumer research among "lapsed" fans.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Enough with the cookie cutter drills from the corps in the lower pack.

2. Enough already with the synths. Too much trouble for little effect.

3. Why do all the uniforms seem to be morphing into one general idea and style

4. I loved the Cadets.

5. Phantom Regiment didnt deserve 9th.

6. SCV should have been higher.

7. FYWW

8. Colts deserved to be in finals

9. I dont think I want to attend finals in Indianapolis.

10. Blue Stars: Way too much crap on the field, no more props next year.

Geoffrey

I think the synths added a TON to Boston's show. They used it for a VERY legitimate purpose, which was to create sounds that cannot be created by conventional means in DBC, but they still managed to do so in a very tasteful way, at least in my opinion. Their show would not have been the same without those effects.

Having listened to their show all year on FN...I must have been mesmerized at Allentown (live) because I never noticed their electronics were not working....it wasn't till I watched the replay on FN that I realized what happened...

Same thing with Vanguard. They had amazing flow and composition that was always hinting

at the theme, but wasn't heavy-handed with the concept. The idea served the show,

not the other way around.

I had a non-drum corps person with me that never saw a DCI/DCA/WGI show before in his life before this year at Allentown. He really latched onto Vanguard though BIG TIME. I think it may be for the very reason you talk about, that is, not so heavy-handed with the concept. It was interesting that he perceived these groups "like a bunch of bands at a parade"...but was commenting about the uber-class and sophistication that Vanguard was demonstrating on the field. He also asked me why groups were using electronics...in that they added nothing to any of the shows. He said this wasn't a rock concert. That was his opinion NOT mine.

1. I'm tired of hearing from Crown fans how they get screwed every year. You got beat. You did however, finish second. Nice job. But knock off the whining.

2. Can Madison Scouts fans and alums stop all the rah-rah BS and just admit that the current incarnation of the Scouts just aren't that good? And haven't been for the better part of a decade.

3. Bring back DCM.

4. Vanguard should have beat Cavies.

5. Boston was amazing this year.

6. Do corps like Pacific Crest, Mandarins and the like have any desire to get better or are they satisfied with a poor finish every year? How do the kids feel about plunking down $2000+, giving up a summer, having the crap beat out of them and finishing 19th?

7. Spirit's show was one of the worst things I've ever seen put on the field. How the design team landed on that product as worthy is beyond me.

8. DCI needs to lower ticket prices.

9. Indianapolis for 10 years is the single worst decision in the history of the activity.

10. More shows in Michigan. There is a really nice stadium down the street from my house!

1. I'm tired of hearing from Crown fans how they get screwed every year. You got beat. You did however, finish second. Nice job. But knock off the whining.

<snipped 2 and 3>

4. Vanguard should have beat Cavies.

Thought this was an interesting little dichotomy ... :satisfied:

7. Spirit's show was one of the worst things I've ever seen put on the field. How the design team landed on that product as worthy is beyond me.

Oh my God, I totally agree. They changed that uniform and went down faster than the jet in the Hudson river. I reference that because I hope there will be a miracle and they will come to their senses and restore what they were rebuilding.

G

1. Clinically clean and boring doesn't put butts in the seats and certainly gives those butts no reason to want to return.

2. The show people still talk about 10 years from now is the real winner. Just one example - 95 - Winner - Cavies - talked about - not that much. Scouts - talked about all the time.

Edited by Ed Boxer

Oh my God, I totally agree. They changed that uniform and went down faster than the jet in the Hudson river. I reference that because I hope there will be a miracle and they will come to their senses and restore what they were rebuilding.

G

I agree as well. Spirit had spirit but that was about it. The show concept sucked. If I were one of the tuba players I would have been ###### off having a Bass guitar horning in on the bass line.

This used to be one of my favorite corps. I hope they come up with a better more Brass intensive less or no electronics show next year.

A person who has been a part of this activity for the better part of their life, either participant or spectator, can not simply just stay home.

Sure we can. I have for the last 5 years. Life goes on. I got tired of sitting in the stands at the shows and thinking WTF am I doing here? And I got tired of the attitude (mostly here) that if I didn't like it I should move on. So I moved. Still like to make the occasional appearance here to see that others are starting to see the same light I've been seeing, and this year seems to be producing a bumper crop of people.

As has been pointed out in the thread above, the slippery slope has been entered. Enjoy the ride.