TOP 10 things IN 2009 we think but dare not say!

3.) G Bugles are no louder than Bb. The people who claim otherwise just had better hearing back then. (Though I will admit, the sound is definitely unique).

I played both at the same time. G Bugle in corps. Trumpet in band. I absolutely, positively could produce more volume with my bugle.

I wonder if the person making this claim ever actually played both.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My reply to all of you that are going to boycott DCI from now on.....thanks for the good seats!

I played both at the same time. G Bugle in corps. Trumpet in band. I absolutely, positively could produce more volume with my bugle.

I wonder if the person making this claim ever actually played both.

Probably not. I can be very loud on contrabass tubas in GG, BBb and CC.

But back to the topic..."hey their Cadet corps is pretty good! I wonder what their big corps sounds like???!!! :satisfied: "

I for one am glad 2009 is over. I didn't really care for a number of shows this year. Face it excitement is not a category Judges reward. My favorite corp changes each year because the show changes every year. Corps are trying to win to much. Forget entertainment its the number of wins that count. Hey!!!!!! Don't act like it ain't true LOL.....

TOP 10 THINGS WE ARE NOT SAYING ON HERE. BUT YA KNOW YOUR THINKIN IT.

1. I still don't see how a top 3 corp can remain in the top with a low drum score. The scoring is really messed up. LOL. I don't care who it is. That should not happen.

2. Drum lines need 2 judges. One in the box and one on the field. It keeps them from playing Sixteenth notes really clean and getting a perfect score. Some horn people might not get it, but drummers do.

3. What's up with the horn lines? Explain something to me why are they not coming off as powerful as they have in the past? Is it better quality sound you are getting or may be poor show design in 2009? I am not sure on that one. But I know I am not the only one who has thought it.

4. Is it better to be clean and boring or Dirty and exciting. What the heck is the GE score about anyway? hmmmm If you are running around the field making intricate shapes and designs and the crowd goes ooooooo, ahhhhhhhh you get a high score? Or is it you use all kinds of props add a little marching here a little there and you then become unique and therefore given a high GE score?

5. If drum corp as an activity is getting better, how come the crowds are getting smaller?

6. Do we need the designers of shows to explain the concept of a show to get it? :satisfied: .... Really folks, in that case is the concept really that good?

7. What's wrong with having the crowd stand up and cheer after announcing the Champion? When Phantom won in 2008 everybody went crazy. I haven't seen a response like that in over 15 years. Point here shouldn't fans walk away feeling better about the competition?

8. If they change the judging system to reward shows more fan friendly don't you think it might increase the appeal of this activity and generate more cash, green, oil, Texas tea. Now the first thing you know old Jed's a millionaire the kin folks said.....oppps my bad.... got carried away.

9. Is anybody sick of seeing the same top 5 corps being placed in the top 5 year after year, after year, after year, after year. No... there is nothing wrong with the system sir. Just because between 3 corps they have won over 30 championships does not mean I am in the wrong officer.

10. Because BD won both Classes in undefeated seasons, they are guaranteed to not be liked for the next 2 season. Bad thing here is they will probably come out with shows that should be considered some of the best of all time next year. But it won't win, because of fan bias and judges getting ripped for 2009 season.

Let the discussion begin LOL!!!!!!!!!

Re: "Let the discussion begin LOL!!!!!!!!! "

Since most, if not all, of what you posted to start this thread has already been discussed on here a million times over, I'd rather say "Let this thread die early"..

AJMHO

I'm sure the LSO has performed in thousands of venues, open, closed, outdoors, indoors, and I can probably safely assume that they were sold out.

If the LSO performed in a venue that turned out to have very poor acoustics, prompting a large number of audience complaints, do you feel that they should desire to play there again? (and again, and again...)

Seems like drum corps should have suffered major loss of participants years ago.... but i believe it still thrives...

It has lost participants, by a huge percentage.

thrive

intr.v. thrived or throve (thrōv), thrived or thriv·en (thrĭv'ən), thriv·ing, thrives

1. To make steady progress; prosper.
  2. To grow vigorously; flourish: "the wild deer that throve here" (Tom Clancy).

While individual Corps have indeed made great progress and do prosper, can you point to any examples that would lead to a believe that the drum corps activity has any "vigorous growth" or is "flourishing"?

Considering the huge drops in the numbers of corps, members, shows, audiences of the past couple of decades, any claim that the activity is "thriving" is ludicrous.

Edited by j.morgus

6. Do corps like Pacific Crest, Mandarins and the like have any desire to get better or are they satisfied with a poor finish every year? How do the kids feel about plunking down $2000+, giving up a summer, having the crap beat out of them and finishing 19th?

1) (And maybe allways at the top of my list) I hate the fact that finishing 19th is "having the crap beat out of" you. I find it painfull that 19th is the bottom, and not solidly in the ranks of "associate" corps that it once would have been, well ahead of the majority of competitors, in seasons gone by. :unhappy:

And I agree with almost every positive point you made, jedi8 :thumbup:

1) (And maybe allways at the top of my list) I hate the fact that finishing 19th is "having the crap beat out of" you. I find it painfull that 19th is the bottom, and not solidly in the ranks of "associate" corps that it once would have been, well ahead of the majority of competitors, in seasons gone by. :unhappy:

And I agree with almost every positive point you made, jedi8 :thumbup:

I'm not saying finishing 19th=having the crap beat out of you. I'm assuming that marching drum corps anywhere=having the crap beat out of you. I have some experience in this area. I had the crap beat out of me and finished 21st.

IMO, biggest hurdle to non-Top12/OC corps success is how they are preceived and marketed. Few years ago I asked why people didn't try out for the non-Top corps after they missed the cut. Overwhelming response was "being in a non top corps wasn't worth the money". And the responses were from recent cutees.

I'm not saying finishing 19th=having the crap beat out of you. I'm assuming that marching drum corps anywhere=having the crap beat out of you. I have some experience in this area. I had the crap beat out of me and finished 21st.

I wasn't taking exception with your wording. Let's face it, coming in 19th out of 22 does place you pretty darn near the bottom.

I was lamenting that 19th no longer places you way up toward the top. When I look at the list of corps on DCI.org, I get very sad at the length of the list.

Corps should be about willingly getting the crap beaten out of you (by staff, other corps, your instrument and book, etc.) and striving to come back early the next morning and do it again.