Why Academy, Colts, etc can't win next year

I think you missed my point.

Fred O.

No, I didn't miss your point. I changed the subject! Sorry. :thumbdown:

That's an arbitrary conclusion (which is fine). In 10 years, if Crown has 3-4 wins, and the rest split amongst BD/Cadets/Cavies then we'll be talking about the Top 4.

What if SCV gets one or 2 in there? And Phantom? Maybe Madison will get one in 5 years?

If all of that happens, then we'll know the talent pool has spread out, and the corps will be more equal.

More likely than not, Crown will supplant Cavies, if we stick with your condition of "only 3."

I'll even give Crown a few more years of 2nd and 3rd place finishes. They've played the game the right way (ie DCI Darling). They WILL BE rewarded, trust me, lol. The chances of them dropping to 6th or lower (as Bloo has done since 2007) are very slim.

The pressure is on Crown, and the judging community to give it to them. They only have to be "almost as good" as BD one of these times.

Sure... if SCV, Phantom, Madison win a couple of more Titles, I could see a compelling case being made to include them in the mix with BD, Cadets, Cavs...... Crown could do it as well, if they secure ( say) 2 or 3 consecutive years of winning titles on their future resume. That would be a refreshing thing to happen to the activity too.

Edited by BRASSO

No one thought Anaheim could WIN the first DCI Championship after coming in 3rd in prelims by 3.2

No one thought SCV could come back to WIN in 1981 to win after finishing 7th in 1980.

No one thought Phantom could WIN in 1996 after coming in 5th in 1995

No one thought Phantom could WIN in 1996 after coming in 4th in quarter finals... down 3.7

No one thought Madison could WIN in 1988 after finishing 7th and 6th the two previous years.

No one thought MADISON would DROP to 7th in 1989 after WINNING in 1988

No one thought Phantom would DROP to 9th after WINNING in 2008.

never say never........

Sh1t yeah!!! WWBD......

Yup. That's 38 years of work. The question is: Has anyone recognized this formula and made it work for them? ANS: Carolina Crown.

Now, philosophically speaking, is it possible for Carolina Crown to stay up there, Madison to enter the fray again, Phantom to get back on its feet, Bluecoats+SCV to continue their excellence, and BD/Cadets/Cavies be as solid ALL AT ONCE?

And don't forget Blue Stars...another DCI Darling, trying to follow the model. And Troopers are "BACK, Baby!" (right?)

(QUICK ASIDE: Bluecoats and BAC seem to be "let's do it our way" and not necessarily DCI Darlings, but that's for another day)

So, everyone's going to be great, right?

Umm, no...

Well, if more corps follow the proposed success model (and if DCI would let rules changes rest long enough for everyone to have a shot), I think it's possible to have a top 5 field that could be champion quality, maybe even 7 or more.

No, only 3 can" be great", long term.....BD, Cadets, Cavs. Crown might ultimately turn out to be Madison, Phantom ( winning 2 titles )..... SCV ( winning a few more).......Star ( winning one, then disappearing )..... 27th ( rising as high as 2nd,then disappearing ), etc. We really don't know. No one does. All we have to speculate on these things, is history. And history is not on Crown's side. But then again, they have such little history that no one would say that they CAN'T be multiple title winners over a period of decades. Their quest however is to try and win ONE title,... then go from there. It's one thing to knock off 1 or 2 out of these 3 Elite Corps in a single season. To Crown's credit they did that last season. But it's quite another thing altogether to knock off ALL THREE in a given season.... AND the others..... to win it all. And then to repeat the next year, and the next, and the next, etc...... but that's where TRUE greatness comes in too. Here's hoping Crown ( or any others for that matter )can buck those odds.

hardly...up until , say...2000....Cavies were hardly one of the top 3. Who was top 3 before that?

Any corp can win but it takes much consistancy to prove you are championship caliber. The Cadets and Cavies took a few years for them to turn the corner. In the late 70 and early 80's I can't think of anyone who would have thought the Cadets would compete much less win the title. They expanded and revolutionzed drumcorp. Same with the Cavies.

Just being good isn't enough anymore. Corps have to do something really special to get the first Championship.

Without Phantoms ending in 2008 I doubt they would have won. I truly believe that without that they would have had another 2nd place photo finish. Sometimes the judging community is left with no choice.

Edited by Phantombari1

hardly...up until , say...2000....Cavies were hardly one of the top 3. Who was top 3 before that?

'Depends upon your starting and ending points. For example, it could be BD, Cavs, SCV.... or few other combinations even. But if it's from DCI inception through to today, then I'd say it would be BD, Cadets, Cavs. These 3.

And if we were to include the decade of the 60's, (before DCI), Cavs were not " hardly one of the top 3". They absolutely were among the " TOP 3 " best Corps for this 10 year decade,... and there's just no question about it either.

Edited by BRASSO

True....if you look at the 60's, corps like Cavies, Boston, and the Troopers were the major players then....as well as some teams who are no longer with us....