Carolina Crown Performing Arts Training Center

I think a new hall would be great for Crown but I’m not buying how it would help out the area. The area is changing there already too due to a recent influx of some tech business

Plus – I don’t really like that area so I don’t care about helping it and save it – I was born in North Carolina and I’m glad to have left – (yes, I did just trash an entire state but in broad general terms so its OK)

well that's good for you I guess, but sadly the Crown organization is located within Fort Mill, SC. Most of the funding for the music programs throughout York county this past year took a cut.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but it seemed like it was intended to be a "Community Giving" kind of a program. Not sure something as superfluous as a million dollar "Performing Arts Center" falls into that category.

The Spartans are not in Fort Mill, nor in the Charlotte area. Carolina Crown would be helping their community, as the money is intended to do.

Oh, and NONE of the proposals do anything for any corps outside of the organizations themselves.

Crown - Performing Arts facility for the Fort Mill/Charlotte area

Colts - Brand new kitchen trucks to be donated to the Red Cross during the off season

Phantom and Cavies - Increased assistance to financially disadvantaged students in their areas.

ALL CORPS - Expansion of non-corps programs under their organizations (concert bands, choirs, marching band clinics, etc.)

Crown's proposal is the most audacious of the four, so they're getting singled out, but the same nitpicks and criticisms can be leveled at the other three corps in the running for the $1 million.

You know, instead of thinking Crown should somehow be responsible for donating funds to other corps who can't find their own money, fans should be asking what Crown has done in the last twenty years to get where they are so the struggling corps has a model to follow.

Giving any of their potential winnings to other drum corps would be one of the worst things they could do.

I, for one, do not think Crown should use any donations or funds to help other corps. You're right. However, I do think that this proposed use is not a "monument to the arts" or something that would benefit the entire area. It would be a great thing - AN AWESOME THING - for Crown. I have no problem with building it. I do take issue with it being advertised as something that's as much charity as it is a corps resource. I think that is disingenuous.

well that's good for you I guess, but sadly the Crown organization is located within Fort Mill, SC. Most of the funding for the music programs throughout York county this past year took a cut.

York County did take a cut. However a lot of programs not that far from there and even more that are further away had much smaller budgets than the York County schools.

I am a great fan of everything Crown has done within the educational community, and the organization has done a lot. I am just disappointed in this move, as I feel that it seems more like a tool to secure votes than anything else. The facility could be great, but would probably still only be utilized by the more fortunate groups in the area (as far as I can see it). I fully support the idea, but would be more likely to support it with a vote if Crown said, "We want to build this cool facility and use it to improve our group, as well as offer it's use to other organizations," instead of touting it as one big piece of community outreach when those groups out there that can't afford instruments or buses still won't be helped because they either don't have horns to play in the facility or can't get there.

As a native Washingtonian, It looks strikingly like the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. :tongue:

Edited by boxingfred

As a native Washingtonian, It looks strikingly like the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. :tongue:

Wow.... so there IS such a thing as a "native Washingtonian." :ph34r:

Fran

Oh, and NONE of the proposals do anything for any corps outside of the organizations themselves.

Crown - Performing Arts facility for the Fort Mill/Charlotte area

Colts - Brand new kitchen trucks to be donated to the Red Cross during the off season

Phantom and Cavies - Increased assistance to financially disadvantaged students in their areas.

ALL CORPS - Expansion of non-corps programs under their organizations (concert bands, choirs, marching band clinics, etc.)

Crown's proposal is the most audacious of the four, so they're getting singled out, but the same nitpicks and criticisms can be leveled at the other three corps in the running for the $1 million.

Cry me a freakin river. I think many people on here are getting too bent out of shape over this. The fact is Crown is doing something that is worthwhile and is an excellent idea in my opinion but let's not downplay what those other corps you mentioned are doing. I don't see why any of this is a bad thing. They could be spending their money on things that could be helping only their organization instead.

Oh, and I also think it's funny how many of the Crown fans on here get rattled (yes, I said it, and if you need proof, go back a few pages and read) when someone disagrees with thier opinion. Like the pot calling the kettle black right? :tongue: