DCP No Longer Important?

So from the day after finals until the first competitive show of the season, we as a community revert back to the same ol' arguments as usual, thus diminishing the validity of this place even further. It's kind of a Catch 22: if there was more legit stuff to talk about, this place would be more legit. But because corps are more tight lipped than they used to be, there's not a lot of legit stuff to talk about this time of year and we instead turn to arguing about what 'real' drum corps is, thus making this place look ridiculous to the people currently marching/teaching/designing/directing drum corps.

You mean debating the philosophical direction of the activity? How is that not a legitimate topic for discussion? You may not like what people think about it or how they go about stating their opinions, but I don't see the grounds for acting like it's not something people should be talking about.

You mean debating the philosophical direction of the activity? How is that not a legitimate topic for discussion? You may not like what people think about it or how they go about stating their opinions, but I don't see the grounds for acting like it's not something people should be talking about.

I think he was simply observing, as I have observed, the narrow scope of the discussions generally on this board in the off season. Not that that's a bad thing as far as subject matter is concerned (IMO), but from a variety standpoint, it's bad. No Variety = DCP not being taken as seriously as it should be since not everyone is interested in the philosophical direction of our activity.

This.

And, really. Was DCP ever important?

I am confused by those who think the opinions expressed by mainly long time fans of the drum corps activity on DCP are unimportant or of little consequence, but continue to read and participate in the forums.

DCP fans are no more or less important than fans of the NFL or NBA or any spectator activity. People who run the activities which fans pay to watch and participate in ignore those fans at their own peril. If there are folks at DCI or running the few remaining corps we have left in this country who would casually dismiss DCP as inconsequential then it becomes clear they are the reason the activity has not really ever flourished since its inception in 1972.

DCP is not the be all end all but it is the leading fan forum in this acitivity.

And then you have those corps, one in particular, who likes to exaggerate on how well things are going. They do this year after year warning their competitors that this is going to be "their year." At season's end they wind up with the same dismal scores and placements. It never fails.

Really? The corps themselves do this or is it the excited fans?

This.

And, really. Was DCP ever important?

Amen! This is an entertaining site. There's some good information here. There's good in-the-moment coverage of certain events, like DCA prelims and finals. There is often a good conversation or debate going on here. And if you like poll after poll after poll after poll about which corps' uniforms has the nicest buttons or who was the best corps to have a left-handed, Malaysian mellophone player with an ailment that performed a solo in the 1980s, then DCP is the cat's meow.

There's utility to DCP. But is it influential, a critical way for a corps to disseminate information, or representative of the universe of drum corps fans? Not at all, IMHO.

But I DO love coming here! :laughing:

Well, as a brand new member of the Board for the parent organization for Forte D&BC I can report that our Director recommended DCP by name just this week. Chris Green suggested DCP as well as other online media for recruiting, etc. Even offered to come on and defend staff and Board members if we get in over our heads. But I've never had a problem with that! ;-)

As for OP's thread, I've been saying this for about the last 2 seasons. I was really impressed with the amount of activity during the season...2006 and maybe 2007?? 2008 I made the comment that there appeared to be far fewer posts on DCP than the previous season. Others didn't agree, and then this thread appears.

I don't know if all of our old reparte' has simply moved over to facebook or what...you guys would have to tell that. What goes on there--discussion threads on group pages? Are there pages for:

DCI?

DCP?

As well as individual corps?

I think DCP does a great job of allowing all viewpoints to be said and heard. if this wasn't the case, you wouldnt have x amount of threads about LOS sucking, finals forever in Indy, show design, judging, etc.

I agree. I think we say freely what we think is good and not so good on here. The only threads and posts that I see pulled are mainly personal attacks or straight up vitriol. It's not overmoderated. Maybe err on the side of caution moderated but not over moderated (I know, I'm splitting hairs (slaps self on the hand)). LOL

I am confused by those who think the opinions expressed by mainly long time fans of the drum corps activity on DCP are unimportant or of little consequence, but continue to read and participate in the forums.

There is a difference between someone enjoying discussions pertaining to their hobby/passion and thinking you actually make a darn bit of difference to any of the corps, the membership, or the staffs. The sense of self-entitlement and exaggeration of self-worth which characterizes many posters here is what is laughable and what gets joked about very frequently on tour. That's right; DCP is the butt end of a bad joke in make cases but NOT because it exists - because of the attitudes of the most vocal posters.

It's always entertaining to hear what the "experts" are saying about the drum corps season while on tour.

DCP fans are no more or less important than fans of the NFL or NBA or any spectator activity. People who run the activities which fans pay to watch and participate in ignore those fans at their own peril. If there are folks at DCI or running the few remaining corps we have left in this country who would casually dismiss DCP as inconsequential then it becomes clear they are the reason the activity has not really ever flourished since its inception in 1972.

DCP is not the be all end all but it is the leading fan forum in this acitivity.

DCP thread discussions are sunshine, kittens, and lollipops compared to most college, pro sports fans, political, etc message board discussions.

Edited by BRASSO

I agree. I think we say freely what we think is good and not so good on here. The only threads and posts that I see pulled are mainly personal attacks or straight up vitriol. It's not overmoderated. Maybe err on the side of caution moderated but not over moderated (I know, I'm splitting hairs (slaps self on the hand)). LOL

exactly. and, let's be honest...if a corps mocks DCP, so what? what's funny is, they may trash it on tour, but i bet when they get home, they all flock here to see what's said. I bet the stats show usage may even be higher the week AFTER finals.

and, you notice it's the corps that get knocked on here that trash it. BD last year, Cadets many years etc. makes sense to me...they have to defend themselves in any way possible.

But...they may knock it, but I bet you they wouldn't know what's said if they weren't reading it.