Dinosaurs (LOL) who go to shows today

I must have missed the poster on this thread who is "demanding respect." Can you please help? I did read some who are remembering fondly what got them hooked, and maybe that they don't prefer the electronically produced sounds. But, I must have skipped over the part where they demand your respect.

Check DCP. I'm not talking about anybody doing it in this particular thread (least of all Jim), though, so you're right about that.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irony #1: Older marchers who constantly demand respect for their generation on here oftentimes show very little respect for the current generation.

Irony #2: If today's marchers spent as much time and effort dissing everything about drum corps of the past, the older marchers would have a collective fit of apoplexy.

------------------------------------------------

Rawr.

“The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.”

I LOL'd

Check DCP. I'm not talking about anybody doing it in this particular thread (least of all Jim), though, so you're right about that.

OK that saved me from a WTF post.... thanks.

Yeah we've heard a lot from the oldsters who don't like the present shows and why. I'm trying to get a thread up where oldsters who do like the present shows can give their views. No B-session back and forth, just a place for the "I like it" group to give their thoughts why. Personally I'm in the no-mans land of not liking the shows enough to attend but still care about activity and it's members.

Believe it or ####### not.... I like to hear opinions different from mine so I can learn something...

Edit: Maybe next thread will be "Oldster asking about todays shows" Sub-topic: Why does that <rhynes with hiss> you off?" :shutup:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

It's all about perspective and choice: YOU can chose what you like/dislike. Don't like the overly-loud amplification? Don't focus on them, and instead focus on brass and percussion only (and I'm sorry, if you have focus problem that can't let you mentally 'tune out' something as small as that, then you must have TOTALLY lost your discipline and mental toughness from drum corps: something I was taught that I still carry with me. I remember performing with tornados literally touching down less than a mile from the show sight, and I didn't really notice it until after we were coming off the field and I was letting my mind think about things other than the task at hand following a performance).

Good points all around but responding to this part only. Considering I just hit 30 years of fixing Uncle Sugars computer problems (database/programming/Unix system admin/etc) think I have enough brain cells to be able to block out things (so far :shutup: ). But... I use my worn out brain enough that when I go to a show I was want to sit on my butt, relax and be entertained, not impressed by the talent out there (but that does happen), just entertained. So I choose not to work my brain cells to block out what I don't like. IOW - is it worth it to me to spend the $$$$, time, effort (extra effort due to home issues) and then have to block out what I don't like..... no.

If my background was the Junior corps world I might feel more inclined to support my old corps or the corps that I marked against. But since I was Senior corps only it's a lot easier to just support the All-Age/Alumni-type group.

Edit: Is it really so hard to respond to a serious question without being so snotty about it?

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I fit the dinosaur category. I marched in the early 80s and have attended shows every year since. There have been a lot of things that I like about the shows evolution over the years, even to the detriment of losing a lot of corps during those years. I enjoy the talent level from top to bottom now more than ever. I enjoy the thought provoking shows, but miss the days of just playing 5 good tunes regardless of how they fit your show title. I really enjoy the sound, minus the fake synthed ones out now. I really didn't mind voice except for YOWZA. The dumbest thing in DCI history, IMO. I love the small shows over the big ones and have rarely gone to finals. I love watching the shows progress over the summer, but I really dislike the ease of which any average joe can tell you how the judges will seed the corps. I love the corps with plate lines and donate to their fuel jars for every corps that marches them. I could go on and on about the positives, but that wouldn't be very DCP like of me. While I don't miss certain aspects of the old days, I also hate the direction of corps now. Band be danged......I will continue to give corps and shows my time and money untill woodwinds hit the scene, then its over. I will miss it just like I miss my kids youth, but everything grows and changes.

I been watching drum corps since 1975.

What I like most about drum corps?

I'm able to see the epitome of marching music. I'm able to see something I can't see on a marching band field. The most talented kids performing the most complex drills and performing tangible charts.( I hate when corps fall short of this)

I love the sight of rifle in flight, and the crack of a well executed catch.

I love to watch flags spin in unison.

I love the sound of a powerful horn line.

A company front.

The expressions on the kids faces after a great show.

I also like some of the changes too.

I like the change from G to B flat ( it eliminated the excuse band directors gave their kids for not marching drum corps)

I now like amping the pit ( mallet players no longer have to beat on their instruments like carpenters. The arrangers can write with more subtlety and range.)

I like the dance/movement- this adds to the overall complexity and helps Visually intemperate the show. ( imagine these corps without a modern guard. 2008 Phantom, 2003-2007 Cavaliers, 2008 Blue Devils I could go on.

As I transitioned from marching member to drill writer bugle player to music minor, I started to look for other things in drum corps shows.

Edited by boxingfred

I'm pleased DCI is still drawing support. I'm not pleased by the current level of support. That could be so much greater, I'm certain, with a little more respect for what seems to have worked well before.

The lessons of the "past" might still have worth. Don't dismiss them out of hand, even though it's now your turn to make a statement.

Irony #1: Older marchers who constantly demand respect for their generation on here oftentimes show very little respect for the current generation.

Irony #2: If today's marchers spent as much time and effort dissing everything about drum corps of the past, the older marchers would have a collective fit of apoplexy.

Good points.... but from my experience, there are guilty parties in both categories.

I've heard my share of "old-timers" (hey, I'm an old-timer...LOL) put down today's drum corps, and I've heard my share of younger folks and/or corps staff members trashing senior/all-age and alumni corps.

I do not like like hearing any of that B.S.., from either side.

Fran

Good points.... but from my experience, there are guilty parties in both categories.

I've heard my share of "old-timers" (hey, I'm an old-timer...LOL) put down today's drum corps, and I've heard my share of younger folks and/or corps staff members trashing senior/all-age and alumni corps.

I do not like like hearing any of that B.S.., from either side.

Fran

Ditto... as an antidote you should have been at Hanover practice Sunday Fran. One of our members marched with the Cadets last season and is back with us this year. Horn instructor was running over a new chart, stopped, and asked the ex-Cadet "Does that sound right since your a pro now?" :shutup: Guy next to the to ex-Cadet asked "Pro??? Gee how much is he paying you for advice?" Everyone had a good laugh and think the ex-Cadet laughed the loudest.

Back ground is the young man has been with us a few years and his dad is a long term member. And the corps as a whole was proud when he made the cut, even if it meant we lost a #### fine lead for the season.