Dinosaurs (LOL) who go to shows today

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe because the OP also asked this in the thread title..."What do you enjoy/get out of todays shows"

Most of the 'dinos' who have posted point out the things they like, as the OP asked. LSU provided a litany of what he does NOT like, which is basically everything.

Yep, and as I posted on page 2:

"Yeah we've heard a lot from the oldsters who don't like the present shows and why. I'm trying to get a thread up where oldsters who do like the present shows can give their views. No B-session back and forth, just a place for the "I like it" group to give their thoughts why. "

And to repeat: My definition of Dinosaur means one who has been around the activity for a while, NOT a state of mind.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Apparently reading comprehension is not being taught in schools today.

Are you kidding me?! Did you not read who I was quoting/responding to?!?! I'm well aware of what the OP wrote, and why they started the thread. What confounded me was this post:

QUOTE (LSU GRAD 82 @ Mar 13 2010, 07:13 AM)

I enjoy very little about todays Corps. Very little.

I still attend any "Local" show and try to attend one major show like San Antonio or Atlanta, just to see first hand what's going on. I usually sit there shaking my head for most of the show. I'm NOT entertained, except for brief moments. The product on the field is just NOT my thing any longer. Sorry. Used to be a big Cavaliers fan, but have enjoyed Carolina Crown the most for the last few years.

Don't like the "Story telling" themed shows, don't like the dancing and prancing Guards, don't like the sound of the "Too small" Bass Drums that are cranked up to sound like Tenors, don't like all the ridiculous props, don't like the "Wretched excess" pits on the sidelines, don't like vocal narration, don't like all the hyper high school/college band geek types running all over the place and running their mouths while the corps are performing, I don't like the B flat brass and number one, I don't like the totally unrecognizable music.

I'll still go to one or two shows every summer though, just for the experience. Will probably try Atlanta this year. Been wanting to see the Georgia Aquarium and eat at the Varsity and Vortex. DCI will be just an after thought though and will be until there is a return to a lot more retro old school things that we all enjoyed.

Why can't we have a blend of old and new? If I want story telling, I'll go see a movie and if I want to see dancing and prancing, I'll go to see a Ballet. NOT interested in seeing any of that on a freaking football field. ...........

The OP asked the dinosaurs who go to shows to chime in. The poster you're trying to berate fits the description, including going to current shows.

If you are not a "dinosaur" WHY THE #### ARE YOU IN THIS THREAD? There are so many other threads here that kiss the behind of modern drum corps and call it ice cream. Why are YOU in the ONE thread that doesn't seem to agree with your POV?

Don't know what the literal definition of "dinosaur" would be, but since I aged-out more than ten years ago, I figure I'm at least close to it.

Regardless, the OP asked for things us dinosaurs enjoyed about modern drum corps shows, and the person I responded to instead used the thread to post (yet again) the laundry list of complaints with modern show design. As I quoted above (again, for the reading impaired),

I enjoy very little about todays Corps. Very little. I still attend any "Local" show and try to attend one major show like San Antonio or Atlanta, just to see first hand what's going on. I usually sit there shaking my head for most of the show. I'm NOT entertained, except for brief moments. The product on the field is just NOT my thing any longer.

So I naturally came to the logical conclusion regarding why someone who obviously does not like modern drum corps choose to come into a forum devoted to modern drum corps, only to complain. Seems like a simple question to me: conversely I'm not a fan of LSU football, yet I don't waste my time going on LSU football forums to constantly complain about the direction of their program.

Sucks to have your own viewpoint thrown back at you, does it not? :thumbup:

Nah, it just sucks to have people constantly beat the dead horse with nothing new to add to a discussion. The OP was, IMO, trying to have a discussion regarding "OK old school fans, what do you actually like about modern drum corps," and I think that there are several 'dinosaurs' who were able to put aside their differences and take a minute to discuss what they do actually like: something that I have done over the course of the last decade (went from not being a fan anymore to choosing to instead focus on what I like, and thus became a "born-again fan"). I understand that people aren't going to like modern drum corps: NO ONE likes any entertainment medium all the time. Luckily for all of us, if DCI isn't your thing, there are other mediums to feed your drum corps desires: DCA, historical discussion forums, legacy DVDs, etc. I am continually perplexed why people who are obviously not fans of DCI, and admit that they find very little to like, continually come to a forum that (supposedly) is devoted to DCI.

I agree with you (and the poster you quoted). I can find a lot to like with any era of the activity.

Me, too. Dave hit the nail on the head.

I don't agree with everything going on with the "modern-day" activity... but overall, it's a good thing. And, like Dave said, the basic experience is still pretty much the same. The corps... the fans..... the friendships, the hardships, the good times, the bad times, the "life lessons" learned, the highs and lows.... and the thrill of performing.

Fran

Me, too. Dave hit the nail on the head.

I don't agree with everything going on with the "modern-day" activity... but overall, it's a good thing. And, like Dave said, the basic experience is still pretty much the same. The corps... the fans..... the friendships, the hardships, the good times, the bad times, the "life lessons" learned, the highs and lows.... and the thrill of performing.

Fran

You know, I couldn't agree more with this. When you talk to a current marching member, I would almost bet that the reasons they love drum corps and compelled them to march are the same reasons I fell in love with the activity. They're the same reasons why we have trouble articulating to a 'newbie' who sees drum corps only as another marching band activity. They're the same reasons why many of us overlook the blemishes and still get giddy sitting in the stands and experiencing a great drum corps performance. They're the same reasons why when most of us think of our fondest drum corps memories, we think of events that took place off of the competition field. And for what it's worth, ironically enough they're probably the same reasons why people vehemently complain about the activity.

I am afraid I am a dinosaur.... marched from 68 - 74. My kids marched from 97 - 05.

I miss some of the structure from the old days, but I have loved most of the evolution. The music is so much more musical, maybe less in your face, but much more complex. I like the way drumlines cross-step across the field and are so much more part of the general effect. I like how the colorguard has evolved, but there are times when it goes over the top. Overall I still love drum corps as much as I did when I marched.

I don't like amplification, except in the pit. I don't like talking, except where it is part of the effect.... PR, BC and Crown 2008 did it right, as did Xmen 2007. I still prefer G bugles, but I guess it was no different than when they added valves and rotors.

I don't like how it now costs so much for someone to be in a corps. It is way too expensive to start up a corps and it is becoming an activity that can no longer reach the masses. I would love to see someone fund underpriviledge kids in drum corps as an opportunity for them to mature, learn life skills and see the country.

I would love to see drum corps come back into Canada with a vengence.

I never want to see woodwinds. or strings (sorry Phantom) that will be drumcorps death knell.

per2100:

So I naturally came to the logical conclusion regarding why someone who obviously does not like modern drum corps choose to come into a forum devoted to modern drum corps, only to complain. Seems like a simple question to me: conversely I'm not a fan of LSU football, yet I don't waste my time going on LSU football forums to constantly complain about the direction of their program.

Well, to make this a valid analogy, did you play 5-8 years of football with LSU?

As we were making our monthly pilgrimage to Milwaukee the other day to take our son to camp, my wife hit th '40s station on XM radio. We listened to it for a while and then switched to the '50s, and so on. That got me thinking as we listened to the way that popular music has changed in the past 60-70 years. I marched drum corps in the '50s and remember it fondly. The thing that I appreciate about the activity is that, in many ways, it hasn't changed at all. The kids still work their butts off to bring a good show to the field and they still cry when they age out.

The music and show style has changed a great deal and it is mostly a higher level than the good old days. Sure, there are things that I don't particularly like today but the evolution, for the most part, has improved the activity. Let's celebrate the fact that we have drum corps and there are still a lot of kids that believe that it is worth the effort. If only we could have more corps and kids in the activity, that would be totally amazing.