2 Sets of Horns@!

I don't usually post on here, but I couldn't help pass this thread up....

Am I the only one who thinks that it is incredibly childish what Crown is doing? With the whole "A Second Chance", this new horn transition thing from silver to gold (if that is what it ends up being), and their overall thirst to win; It seems really immature. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Drum Corps supposed to be about so much more than just winning a medal? I guess everyone has their own reasons why they pay to march during the summer, and maybe there are people who just want to win a drum corps title... I have nothing against the members and the hard work they put into their shows each summer, but to imagine the staff sitting at a table discussing the show idea of 'A Second Chance' at winning is just completely ridiculous to me. /end rant. Cheers!

To be honest, I think there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to win. I know because we (Cadets) have wanted to win, especially in the years 2007 and 2009. It's a good goal to strive for in DCI....however....you soon realize that to become a true champion, you have to learn to become a loser first (humility).

This is what Blue Devils learned in 2008....or at least I hope they did. Carolina Crown will learn this hard lesson as well.

Anywhoo, since Crown has never said a word about their 2010 show, who knows if Crown ends up doing a show concept completely different from what we were expecting based on rumors? Maybe that's why they haven't announced their concept yet.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think that it is MUCH more "childish" to go on tangents based on nothing but pure rumor and/or speculation. IF Crown is doing some kind of show revolving around 'second chances' (a theory that is pure guesswork at this point as Crown has not announced a show concept at all that I know of), there are PLENTY of ways to convey that concept that have absolutely nothing to do with drum corps competition. While it's kind of cute/fun for fans to guess about that ("Crown doing a show revolving around their 'second chance' to win DCI"), I think it's highly unlikely that is the concept. Perhaps that might be an internal hype for the members/staff to help motivate them to perfection through out the season. That kind of think is certainly not unheard of in our activity (seeing Cavaliers member shirts with "7" on them in 2006, or BD with their "13" shirts previously, for example), and not necessarily "childish" in my opinion.

But I think until Crown formally announces their show concept, there's no need to jump the gun and automatically condemn the corps for a show concept that may or may not have anything to do with their actual 2010 show.

** DISCLAIMER **

I have no connection to Crown what-so-ever, and I have no idea what their show concept is. Perhaps the scuttlebutt on DCP is true, and when the news is released their show is indeed based around a "Second Chance" of winning DCI. Regardless, it's a little pointless to speculate on whether or not the show design is "childish" or inappropriate until we actually see it.

Very well said.

Am I the only one who thinks that it is incredibly childish what Crown is doing?

Yes, I hope you are the only one.

Am I the only one who thinks that it is incredibly childish what Crown is doing? With the whole "A Second Chance", this new horn transition thing from silver to gold (if that is what it ends up being), and their overall thirst to win; It seems really immature. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Drum Corps supposed to be about so much more than just winning a medal? I guess everyone has their own reasons why they pay to march during the summer, and maybe there are people who just want to win a drum corps title... I have nothing against the members and the hard work they put into their shows each summer, but to imagine the staff sitting at a table discussing the show idea of 'A Second Chance' at winning is just completely ridiculous to me. /end rant. Cheers!

Drum corps is a unique activity in many respects, but it does not have the market cornered on wanting or striving for second chances. You've never wanted a second shot at something in your life...?

If their show is centered on that theme, than I have enough faith in their design team that it will convey a much broader sense of that idea, not specifically going after a gold medal in Indy.

Drum corps is a unique activity in many respects, but it does not have the market cornered on wanting or striving for second chances. You've never wanted a second shot at something in your life...?

If their show is centered on that theme, than I have enough faith in their design team that it will convey a much broader sense of that idea, not specifically going after a gold medal in Indy.

I'll go ahead and throw out the disclaimer - we dont even know what the show is about, so this is all speculation. We could be entirely wrong, blah, blah, blah.

Ok, now that thats out of the way...I dont like it. Sorry, it just seems cheap and shallow, and maybe a little bit corny to me. Of course it could be about more than coming in second last year, and wanting to win gold this year, but the 800 pound gorilla in the room will always be that they came in second last year, and are (supposedly) doing a show called second chances. Its like sports teams that need all kinds of trash talking and motivation about being 'disrespected' to get them up for the game. Does crown really need to do a show about winning in order to win????....I hope not, and I dont think I would enjoy it if it were me. I will give them one thing - it seems like a fairly original idea to a point. Then again, if this is all baseless rumor, then this wont matter, and I hope I am completely wrong about the whole thing, honestly....

Yeah, winged victory was sooo tacky.

Yeah, winged victory was sooo tacky.

Show was about birds

also - 2005 - "couple #13 from california"

In 2005 BD was going for #12, so know the facts before you post that. Also, that show wasn't about winning either. All about a dance competition.

I personally think it's funny how people get offended if you have something bad to say about Crown, on here. They're a good corps, but they have flaws like every other corps. I personally think if their show is about winning the championship then it's pretty corny, but that's personal opinion.

Edited by Register