New tour concept for 2011 proposed

Possible 2011 DCI Touring Format Poll  

369 members have voted

1. 1. The proposed tour for top 7 and special events

• for it
    • against it
    • undecided wait and see
    • other

I think I know what their definition of "member" is.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there are some interesting ideas worth exploring here, and I like the fact that they will be sending two more corps west.

That said...

The little guys are getting screwed. This is going to be a war, and it won't be pretty. The fact that this was released by the seven corps and NOT by DCI is very telling...

how are the little guys getting screwed? this says these 7 corps will be doing additional shows outside of the regular DCI tour. The DCI tour will continue as it always is with these 7 corps participating in that, but they are taking on an added expense and time commitment to provide these additional shows to help sustain the activity. It also states that these additional shows could grow to include corps outside these 7 when and if these other corps can handle the burden of the additional costs/travel/time.

This sounds a whole lot better than the G-7 idea from that post the other day.

how are the little guys getting screwed? this says these 7 corps will be doing additional shows outside of the regular DCI tour. The DCI tour will continue as it always is with these 7 corps participating in that, but they are taking on an added expense and time commitment to provide these additional shows to help sustain the activity. It also states that these additional shows could grow to include corps outside these 7 when and if these other corps can handle the burden of the additional costs/travel/time.

This sounds a whole lot better than the G-7 idea from that post the other day.

How are the little guys getting screwed? The G-7 are tossing the little guys over the side of the boat in an effort to try and save the G-7.

From the DCW article: "The [G-7 corps] would have the opportunity to compete Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and at DCI regionals on Saturday, according to Hopkins’ outlined plans. There was nothing included in the plan to accommodate the remaining Open Class corps."

This is about money, and power. G-7 is saying, we're The Act, we want to be compensated accordingly. You others can be compensated according to what you bring in, i.e., the crumbs that are left.

Most likely (the details would be in the 60-page proposal we haven't seen), the G-7 would split among themselves the revenue from shows in which only they competed. Open Class corps might be free to compete on M-T-W but would not be sharing in revenue being pulled in by G-7, and so of course the gate could be quite a bit lower in those Open Class shows. There may also be an adjustment to revenue sharing in the weekend shows that would not favor corps outside the G-7.

The idea that additional shows could grow to include corps outside the G-7 is pure spin and a sop for suckers to hang their hat on. This is a closeout. The only way a corps on the outside would get invited in to the elite group is if they started pulling more revenue than one of the current G-7. Of course, there are shifts. It wasn't all that long ago that corps such as Madison, Blue Knights, Boston, and Glassmen were in the top group, and Bluecoats and Crown were not.

Edited by Peel Paint

How are the little guys getting screwed? The G-7 are tossing the little guys over the side of the boat in an effort to try and save the G-7.

From the DCW article: "The [G-7 corps] would have the opportunity to compete Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and at DCI regionals on Saturday, according to Hopkins’ outlined plans. There was nothing included in the plan to accommodate the remaining Open Class corps."

Prove that the little guys are getting screwed. A line from the DCW article, not from the proposal or from anyone advocating for the proposal, does not count as proof. What does that line even mean? What would the author consider to be accomodation? I've read nothing to this point that directly effects the Open Class corps; why should you assume anything worse from this than the status quo?

This is about money, and power. G-7 is saying, we're The Act, we want to be compensated accordingly. You others can be compensated according to what you bring in, i.e., the crumbs that are left.

Most likely (the details would be in the 60-page proposal we haven't seen), the G-7 would split among themselves the revenue from shows in which only they competed. Open Class corps might be free to compete on M-T-W but would not be sharing in revenue being pulled in by G-7, and so of course the gate could be quite a bit lower. There may also be an adjustment to revenue sharing in the weekend shows that would not favor corps outside the G-7.

The idea that additional shows could grow to include corps outside the G-7 is pure spin and a sop for suckers to hang their hat on. This is a closeout. The only way a corps on the outside would get invited in to the elite is if they started pulling more revenue than one of the current G-7.

This is hilarious to me. You're just fine with it when you get to draw assumptions regarding the details of a proposal you haven't read. You've already assumed no revenue for other corps from G7 events, and assumed less revenue sharing from even DCI events. Yet when others assume that the G7 could grow to include other elite corps, you scoff at this as spin and sop for suckers. Physician, heal thyself! It's amazing what you and others like you are quick to read into this proposal, if it fits into your preconceived notions.

I think I know what their definition of "member" is.

Sorry.. Beavis and Butthead moment.... "We said member... heh heh heh heh".

Thought of that for reasons I can't post here. :lookaround:

For the record, I have NOT read through all of the pages of this discussion.

But I do not think it would be a good idea. I think it'll still keep most, if not all, of the focus (from DCI, from the fans, etc.) on the top corps from World Class, basically leaving out not only the bottom corps from World Class (Pioneer, Mandarins, Pacific Crest, Cascades), but also all of the corps from Open Class. Since Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard will be doing this "new tour concept", they might make mention of their 'cadet' corps, but that'll be it. If there were able to somehow include some of the lower placing World Class corps and some Open Class, I'd be more for this idea. But the way it seems now in the original post, it'll still keep most, if not all, of the focus on the top World Class corps.

They will also have to take into consideration the schedules of the marching members. Will these extra events take place during the regular season, before the season starts, or after Championships? They (the people planning this) can't forget the fact that the members have to get back to school & the "real world" at some point.

So basically, my idea about this as stated in the original post = :lookaround:

Prove that the little guys are getting screwed. A line from the DCW article, not from the proposal or from anyone advocating for the proposal, does not count as proof. What does that line even mean? What would the author consider to be accomodation? I've read nothing to this point that directly effects the Open Class corps; why should you assume anything worse from this than the status quo?

This is hilarious to me. You're just fine with it when you get to draw assumptions regarding the details of a proposal you haven't read. You've already assumed no revenue for other corps from G7 events, and assumed less revenue sharing from even DCI events. Yet when others assume that the G7 could grow to include other elite corps, you scoff at this as spin and sop for suckers. Physician, heal thyself! It's amazing what you and others like you are quick to read into this proposal, if it fits into your preconceived notions.

you are wise! Thank you for the intelligent, rational post

The season is right around the corner and before you know it, this topic will be on page 100. People are just complaining just to complain. Everyone's going to forget all about this and continue supporting the favorite corps, even the ones in the "G7". Some people are just talking out of both sides of their mouths to be apart of the "crowd". That's all this is.