Official DCP G7 Proposal Discussion Thread

Did Blast increase the drum corps audience?

Probably not. But how much joint marketing did DCI do with Star on Blast? None. That was an audience that was primed to be drum corps converts and DCI totally whiffed. A huge opportunity missed.

Edited by Tusayan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Painted this way there are some good points. I'm just not over the "move along, there's nothing to see" lies that we've been given about how great everything is in DCI when it was obvious that everything wasn't okay. Now we have confirmation of the truth of the state of things. The elements that caused this are still preset, yet these groups don't want to go back to what worked, they want to gamble on something else even further from what worked.

I'm leery.

Maybe everyone who isn't in agreement with these ideas should head over to DCA?

OK, how is this greedy. I've heard this countless times and I grow weary of just throwing out the word...these guys are just greedy. I don't believe it.

What I do believe is the corps directors, following the season...got a chance to look at the books of DCI...you know...the stuff they have little time for during the season because they are each minding their own stores at that point.

1. They weren't happy with what they were seeing. Please trust me here, because I know a few of these guys and a few others outside the "gang of" like the director of Pioneer, yeah I saw it listed.

2. I think they made some pretty tough decisions. Namely, that DCI as a management structure was hemorrhaging money. All they had made in 2006 and 2007 had disappeared. They aren't going to blame themselves, so the "direction of DCI's management" (read Dan Acheson) is called into question.

3. With DCI marketing and selling stuff with corps' names on it and audio/video products with the corps performances on them, the corps in question want a new relationship. Actually, they want everyone to have a new relationship with marketing. No selling against the corps by DCI. It's really much of a return back to the old days.

4. I actually see the structure as stated, having paths to climb for corps who chose to do so. The simple message...GET BETTER. No two corps better demonstrate this than do Crown and Blue Stars. Yes, one in and one out of the G7, but Blue Stars have made huge strides in the past 6-7 years. Some corps simply make getting better a phrase, a motto, but, sadly are unable to make huge efforts to make it so for a variety of reasons, one of which is that most of the alumni of some corps have a better corps where they finished their career, got their ring, etc.

5. There are two factors contributing to all this angst. First, the mouthpiece. Don't you think that's a calculated determination? "Hey, let's get Hop to do this." And, Hop doesn't mind. He's been controversial since forever. But, Hop is one of seven, all in agreement. The next factor, I believe too many people, who are rabid enough to post here frequently...(yes, me included)...were thinking everything was fine when, in fact, some pretty massive miscalculations took place. 2006...Madison...good crowds. 2007....Pasadena....massive crowds. The trend was already starting though...and remember this is prior to the recession...regional shows had some hit/miss performance...remember Murphfreesboro 2007? So, then the recession begins in 2007-08 and 09 as DCI bands (all puns...you can have them) with Indy. Indy is late. Then Indy is crap. 15,500 paid at finals. Over 2000 fewer then the ad hoc Bloomington and more than 12,000 fewer than Pasadena.

So, revenue is headed to the equator while expenses were flat or even slightly rising. Now, we have a high 5 figure (perhaps low 6 figure) Exec. Dir. and these 7 guys look at their pocketbooks and their corps' take of DCIs....wait for it....profits. I bet the books were so bad last year, this 10+ year old idea was resurrected to take control of the future for the corps who think they are the featured performers.

Maybe the sky is falling....maybe not. I tend to think we've been headed this way off and on since the late 1980s. We've had a series of peaks and valleys, the peaks smaller or at least less predictable, the valleys, definitely deeper.

6. I like to predict. So, here goes. I think today's Madison corps could quickly assume an 8th spot when offered. I see them more ready than Blue Stars and Boston with their recent forward momentum. Boston made great strides on the field last season at the same time the Blue Stars took a step back in my mind. I would consider them both even at this point for an opportunity to move up.

7. Will Hickman and Orwell make statements soon? These will be very telling if they come forward.

Well, that's my current list.

DCI has spent almost 10 years shifting their marketing strategy to appeal to younger, marching-band type kids. (Remember Dan's anti-RAMD statements?) It reduced the average fan age from 40-something to 30-something, yet attendance was mostly flat (with a slight upward trend), and while audition #'s are up from the late 90's / early 2000's by anecdotal evidence, there are fewer corps. Hardly a rousing success.

So now, they're proposing going whole hog rather than dribs and drabs at it, but nowhere in the proposal does it try to sell, or honestly even explain, how marketing to these band kids exclusively will increase fan / participant numbers. It's the South Park Underpants Gnome Theory. "Step One - market to band kids... Step 2... ... Step 3 - more fans and marchers!" Where are the outcome studies? The surveys? Anything beyond, "take this on faith, we know what we're doing?" Not to put too fine a point on it... but none of these guys are really band directors anymore - do you *really* know what's going to attract the kids?

It just seems a very strange and chaotic way to run a $10-M/year business.

Now, there are actually a great deal of facts and ideas in there that I think are great - I think I would actually prefer to see the top WC corps as a modern-day barnstorming tour with a reduced emphasis on competition. I'm just not sold on the behind-the-scenes aspect of it at all.

Mike

This....

Isn't there a proposed restructuring of the DCI board coming up?

It will never in a million years happen, but what if they just voted out the 1 or 2 that have been changing everything so much?

Would that be BD and Cadets?

I disagree 100% that the Greedy7 could leave DCI and make it on their own. I would give them 5 years, 10 tops.

You are probably also the only person who thinks the quality of DCI shows has gone down in the last 20 years.

I never said the quality has gone down in the last 20 years. What I'm saying is that they are no longer getting better (especially after the top 7 or 8).

DCI couldn't make it through a season withouth the G7, and I think all of dci knows that.

During the winter of 2010 I had made plans to volunteer for about 2 weeks in late June with one of the Top 5 corps of DCI. I had made phone calls, talked with key people, and exchanged e-mails. Things were moving along nicely and I was getting ready for a great drum corps experience as a corps volunteer. I was really looking forward to spending a portion of my summer with the kids in the corps! I was just about to send in my volunteer application and make it all official when I heard about the G-7 proposal.

After some very painful soul-searching, I have decided NOT to volunteer with any of the corps in the G-7 group in 2010. I called the volunteer coordinator for the corps and voiced my concerns and disappointment over the corps involvement in the G-7 power-play. I then informed the coordinator of my decision not to volunteer with the corps in 2010.

Please understand, I love the corps and I think the kids that march in that corps are awesome. However, I cannot actively give my support to a corps that is undermining the foundation and the brotherhood of Drum Corps as a whole. DCI needs to change, but such change needs to take place by way of the democratic process. All of drum corps needs to be represented on a equal level so that the change that takes place will truly benefit all of drum corps, not just an elite few corps.

I am sending a message to the corps I was willing to sweat and sacrifice for, along with the rest of the G-7. I will not support the drum corps that put themselves above the majority. Drum Corps must be for all of the people who love it, not just a few who seek to benefit by it. The benefits of Drum Corps must be shared by all those who work and suffer for it. The responsibility of leadership within Drum Corps must be in the hands of those who have shown themselves capable and worthy to work for the betterment of the majority of corps, not just a select few.

I love this proposal. It's not perfect, but it's a dang good start.

Why? Because when you take out all the "my feelings are getting hurt" BS and realize that DCI is, in fact, in trouble you might realize that this proposal could very well save Drum Corps. Not DCI. Summer touring, loud, in your face, excellent drum corps.

I'm so sick of people not being able to get past the whole "elitism" thing to realize the truth. The great majority of the ticket paying fan base out there do not go to shows to see the bottom corps. Sorry folks. Perhaps one day. I liked The Troopers show last year...but before that I really didn't care because it did nothing to entertain me. The top corps have consistently put butts in seats. If we don't start thinking logically and attracting these high school fans everyone seems to think are so pointless, then how the hell do you expect a corps like Troop or Blue Stars to ever get to the "entertaining" level that they're finally achieving?

This proposal is drenched in pragmatism. If good business ticks off a few old-schoolers then so be it. Changes like this will bring in fans to replace you. Ones that will, perhaps, appreciate what is being done. Because when you look at the big picture, what have you, mr. arm-chair executive, really done to help drum corps survive? I donate money. I go to shows. I'm sure many many of the members of DCP do as well. And sure that's all fine and good, but with a dwindling audience our financial contributions mean jack squat to the true survivability of the activity.

good business says when you rpopose changes, you show research to back it up...we havent seen any in years

good business says you keep current customers as well as add new ones. we havent seen that in years

so...wanna talk to me, a guy who runs a business, about good business again? right there they blew to cardinal rules