Drums Along the Rockies

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely had BD up by a full point. They are just too clean and good at this point. As I stated in my last post, I do think the judges got it wrong on the spread, but that's another issue. DCI judging can sometimes be pretty pathetic.

Having said that: People need to remember that it was not BD up by 3 tonight. They won by 2.3. The Cadets could perform better at the next show and the gap could be 1.5 in a day or two. Come Finals week the gap could be .3, so you never know.

I agree with G. The Cadets (at least as of now) are the strongest challenger to BD. Crown, Coats, and Cavaliers all have issues to work out. Cavaliers could be dangerous down the stretch, but I see Cadets and the clear challenger. In the end, it will be close between Cadets and BD. Think about how far Phantom Regiment was behind BD at this time in 2008, or in 1996.

Also, an 88 for this time of the year is not unheard of. SCV was in the 90s by mid July in 1987. Essentially what the judges are saying to the Blue Devils is that their show is now being performed at a level worthy of an 88. This does not mean that the show is capable of a 99, only that they have successfully taken it to an 88. There is nothing in the sheets that states a corps must have the most demand to win. Demand is there, but MOST DEMANDING is not. When is enough enough? I think the Blue Devils are very good about finding the right balance between demand and performance.

If anything, I have issues with DCI's ability to judge GE, but, again, that is another story. Still, BD did win this one! Great show by all, and Cadets will be fabulous. Just enjoy the ride!

Do you really think Cadets will be that close come Finals or is that your hope? You bring up years where BD was caught, but you don't care to mention 86,94 or 2009 when they were never caught and won Finals rather handily. Maybe BD is just so good this year nobody will come very close.

I have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to the Blue Devils and it's really not fair. It all stems from 2008 when the Regiment won championships. What is the song they play after all the scores are read? Well, whatever it is Blue Devils were obviously ###### and were hitting wrong notes, loudly, left and right. In all fairness this probably was just a few jack offs that couldn't take it. But I really lost respect for the organization that day.

Yeah, it was pretty much established a long time ago that it wasn't the Devs... lots of corps were doing it. To be honest, it's pretty common, too. The season's over, people are going all out for fun even though their chops are blown, just having a good time goofing off.

I have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to midwest drum corps fans. It all stems from 2009 when the world champions were heavily booed by the fans. Don't like it? Fine, don't clap then. But booing? Utterly classless. That goes for fans who booed the Cadets a few years ago, too.

You can't be selective with your morality. Well, I suppose you could, but then you would be a hypocrite.

Edited by MagicBobert

I agree with G. The Cadets (at least as of now) are the strongest challenger to BD. Crown, Coats, and Cavaliers all have issues to work out. Cavaliers could be dangerous down the stretch, but I see Cadets and the clear challenger. In the end, it will be close between Cadets and BD. Think about how far Phantom Regiment was behind BD at this time in 2008, or in 1996.

I could buy that. I think Cadets need MAJOR drill rewrites if they're going to contend. Conversely I thin Cavaliers design gives them a bit more room (and their visual design is FAR superior to Cadets at this moment, IMO). Its obvious that neither Cadets nor Cavaliers are a) clean and b) finished. In fact, both of their shows seems no where near complete (thought it seemed more obvious with Cadets). I heard some of the things Cavaliers have planned in the near future, so I concede that I might be a little biased. Both corps have proven they have the talent to make and clean appropriate changes down the stretch (Cavaliers 95 comes immediately to mind, as well as Cadets just about every year of the modern drum corps era).

I think the Cadets should stab their drum major.

Cali

...and then jazz run... :smile:

Yeah, it was pretty much established a long time ago that it wasn't the Devs... lots of corps were doing it. To be honest, it's pretty common, too. The season's over, people are going all out for fun even though their chops are blown, just having a good time goofing off.

I have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to midwest drum corps fans. It all stems from 2010 when the world champions were heavily booed by the fans. Don't like it? Fine, don't clap then. But booing? Utterly classless. That goes for fans who booed the Cadets a few years ago, too.

You can't be selective with your morality. Well, I suppose you could, but then you would be a hypocrite.

TIME MACHINE OWNER SPOTTED!

you should surf around the tube some... maybe try "dci retreat 2008 revelation"

Be much easier to hold a seance....."Oh, spirits..find something I can prove on the wascally Devils..that will let me sleeeep!" :smile:

I think the Cadets should stab their drum major.

Cali

I'd consider that for that little annoying Geoffrey before I'd consider that for the Cadets DM.

All kidding aside however, The Cadets do have another interesting killer drill this year, and their Guard once again is superb.

A couple more? Hardly. Of course they're clean every year. But how could a corps not be clean when a majority of the visual program has consistently been nothing but boxes, straight lines, and running randomly from set to set (unless of course, if they're camping out on chairs) every single year? I've said it for twenty years now, I'd like to see if they could play as well as they do now if they were given a drill comparable to the Cadets, Cavies or Crown. The score they received tonight was a joke.

So keep saying it for another twenty years. It won't make it true.