Drums Along the Rockies

best not to try to reason with people with irrational hate....because they genuinely think they're being rational.....

This is funny to me.

Again, at no point did I say I hate the Blue Devils.

Do I like this show? No. But so what? There have been many shows throughout many years by many corps I haven't liked.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if BD keeps winning with this formula, don't you think other corps will start trying to do the same things? That is what concerns me the most.

I have faith that, like the Cadets, Cavaliers, SCV, and many other examples (including BD), that corps will have the integrity to stay true to their vision of what and how to perform. And I believe that the corps will retain their identities and grow from them. I have to have faith in something. :smile:

I was there and those sounds were definitely not coming from BDs block.

Me too, and with a lot of friends on the field from more that one corp. Wasn't BD.

I honestly don't think that anyone will catch the Blue Devils now and probably anytime in the coming years unless other corps start using things on the field like chairs and mirrors and other types of staging, and I don't want to see other drum corps move in that direction. The judges clearly are enthralled by that kind of thing, so the GE portion of the score (which is weighed quite heavily) will always favor the Blue Devils. The Blue Devils are not going to change that aspect (why should they, if the judges give them the credit that they do?) It lets the corps focus more on that stellar playing.

But if you like the look and feel of all the other drum corps, don't let the scores of the judges get you riled up, or else you're going to be disappointed for a long time to come. I truly love what they do with Laura and I do like the rest of the music, but the use of props does not sit well with me. I find what the Cadets did on the live feed (and Cavaliers, BK, Phantom Regiment, and SCV, for that matter) to be much more engaging. It is the preferred direction this medium should go, and they have the mixture of marching and music that I come to see. I have absolutely no control over the direction of the medium, though. So I will support what I like, while at the same time congratulating BD on their victory.

As a whole, the last BD show did not impress me as much as their competition and I see the same happening this year. Again, I loved the music, but the visual did not sit well with me. But I didn't begrudge their winning last year and I won't this year either. I am not going to hate on BD for finding a formula and sticking to it. Let the victor have the spoils. I do know what I love, and I know where I can get it, so I will support that which I love.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I'm sure many others have different takes.

I appreciate your take on the Dev's 2010, but isn't it possible that you're just not seeing the concept yet? You say you like the music (the #1 criticism on these threads, by the way), but not the viz. Just a thought, but if you check out the VOD, you will see that the cadets put all of their hats on the ground occupying visual space and making the corps appear bigger.....just brilliant design, I love it...but BD's chairs did the same thing last year and the critics on DCP screamed "bogus". I really think some folks are just turning off their "like" switches whenever they see them...there's nothing BD can do to change their minds...nothing! Except lose!

Don't know about the Homers from the west coast judging tonight, but you are right that BD will look past any and all scores that are in the past. You are only as good as your next performance, until finals.

I'm sure 2008 is still fresh in their memory

I guess that's why the 'favorite' rarely wins. We need two competitions... the best technical skill/quality winner & then the show everyone loves.

Yikees!... with this request of yours of selecting the winner in a competition by the standard of " the show that everybody loves ", The Cavaliers would be required to give back most of their winning medals. Only maybe one... or at most 2.... of the Cavaliers DCI winning Titles came from a Cavaliers show where The Cavaliers that year were the national fan's favorite in the year they won their title. Technically, and visually they were stunning. But " the show everybody loved "... Not at the time. No way.. no how. Especially, musically.

wasn't that a G7 suggestion? let the fans text in their votes?

I appreciate your take on the Dev's 2010, but isn't it possible that you're just not seeing the concept yet? You say you like the music (the #1 criticism on these threads, by the way), but not the viz. Just a thought, but if you check out the VOD, you will see that the cadets put all of their hats on the ground occupying visual space and making the corps appear bigger.....just brilliant design, I love it...but BD's chairs did the same thing last year and the critics on DCP screamed "bogus". I really think some folks are just turning off their "like" switches whenever they see them...there's nothing BD can do to change their minds...nothing! Except lose!

dude, you have to stop saying that the only reason people don't like BD is because they don't understand it. it's fricking marching band.

i'll defend BD against people who are just being hateful out of sheer irrational rage, but that's not true of everybody out there...and I doubt that many people don't like BD this year because they don't understand it.

I won't claim to speak for the vast majority or 99% of anyone, bur I will say that this BD show hits me with nothing but a big "meh.". never enough to reallyake you feel sated.

bur.... meh.... reallyake, sated....( hiccup... burp )

I think the Cadets should stab their drum major.

Cali

now that is funny!!! :smile::cool: