Drums Along the Rockies

But if BD keeps winning with this formula, don't you think other corps will start trying to do the same things? That is what concerns me the most.

BD was undefeated last year.

So.... do you think Crown, SCV, Cadets, Cavs, Bluecoats, etc copied BD this year ?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit that I have not seen BD or any other corps of similar caliber live this year, but I don't buy the "it doesn't translate" argument. I will agree that visually, I don't think I've seen a corps execute better (despite the free-form running to the next set trick that is used way too frequently, and which I think is a total cop out). Musically, I don't think another corps has a better sound or plays better together. Their guard is also top notch. I'll give props to the design team because it is very original and unique. But it KILLS me to see them rewarded by the judges like they are. Why? Because it isn't entertaining to me and if BD keeps winning with these kind of shows, that is what other corps are going to start to emulate. And I don't want to see a bunch of shows like this (one corps per year is enough).

I won't claim the majority, but I know that I'm not the only one that sits wondering what is going on on the field and hoping that maybe they rewrote a part to have some semblance of a melody, or recognizable theme. But it isn't there, most of it just sounds like a bunch of dissonant notes (dare I say noise) to me with the occasional "stand still and play loud/fast" parts to provide contrast (but by golly, they sound great the entire time). In fact, they have already written OUT one of the few parts of the show that was recognizable.

I guess all I can hope for is that this doesn't become a popular trend. Because whatever it is, I don't get it...

One of the best posts that I have seen. Tonight, I was in Fremont, got to hear Vanguard Cadet perform an encore. The music was very good, and the sound shaped beautifully. I am not wild about the dissonance, even with the theme. Having said that, I am a BD fan, openly, and agree that they do a great job presenting what is written for them. BTW, I don't like Bartok at all, but last years SCV show was a pleasure to listen to. I would like to see the activity reward music that was more melodic, but until then, I will enjoy the parts that i like...

best not to try to reason with people with irrational hate....because they genuinely think they're being rational.....

You are right. What was I thinking?

Yikees!... with this request of yours of selecting the winner in a competition by the standard of " the show that everybody loves ", The Cavaliers would be required to give back most of their winning medals. Only maybe one... or at most 2.... of the Cavaliers DCI winning Titles came from a Cavaliers show where The Cavaliers that year were the national fan's favorite in the year they won their title. Technically, and visually they were stunning. But " the show everybody loved "... Not at the time. No way.. no how. Especially, musically.

How exactly are you defining shows that are "national fan favorites," because I find this a bit comical. From where I was sitting in the stands, at various shows, throughout those seasons, The Cavaliers certainly seemed to be a favorite amongst the general fans the years they titled. And, oddly enough, if the fans were able to select the champion this year, I'd venture to say they'd have a pretty good chance at taking that top spot.

Yeah, a real class act! :smile: And aren't we proud of ourself! The very definition of classless!

So it's classless to boo an unjust score?

As a couple people have mentioned, watching BD on your computer screen in no way does the show justice. It just isn't possible to see all the details and effects without being there live. I suggest the naysayers go to a show, sit up front and then make your assessment.

:smile:

It's too late to read all skatey-eight pages so please forgive any redundancy...

Yes, there was a ring, she removed her glove and put it on.

Yes, the Glassmen's guard costumes are appallingly horrible...they look like terrorist's wives, even the men, bless their hearts...

And the 88? There were audible groans and silence with very little applause. I heard someone a few rows back utter quite a string of expletives. It was like the audience collectively said, "what???". Except, of course the BD fans. The 20 of them were clapping...

All the corps threw down tonight...it was an exciting and entertaining evening, except for the Justin Beiber crap...

Night!

Is there a reason you are ignoring my response?

It's just not worth it. If they're willing to spew such vitriol, then they're beyond reasonable discussion.

When you really look at it, it's just a few people...lots of others have mindful criticism, and that's always good to discuss.

No condemnation. They're winning. What they are doing is working for them. Good for them I say!

You assume a lot with this post. When I find a show to be boring to me, I find it to be boring because of the show, not because of the corps performing it. I harbor no ill feelings towards any corps in DCI.

No assumption meant. Having said that, I have never seen the kind of criticism on DCP that seems reserved for BD. And your lack of ill will is clearly not shared by all of those posting here. My apologies to you for my incorrectly assumption.