State of drum corps manifesto

A sense of humor can be found at Wal-Mart in the same aisle as the missing period in your sentence.

As for being taken seriously...the same could be said of younger posters who don't uncheck the "Enable signature" box so they can show off their artsy signatures that consume 1/3 page multiple times in the same thread. Contrary to popular belief, the number of post counts by one's screen name is not an indicator of their DC intelligence or knowledge. :tongue:

My Walmart is out of stock....but they said to expect a price-rollback when they get them back in.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A sense of humor can be found at Wal-Mart in the same aisle as the missing period in your sentence.

As for being taken seriously...the same could be said of younger posters who don't uncheck the "Enable signature" box so they can show off their artsy signatures that consume 1/3 page multiple times in the same thread. Contrary to popular belief, the number of post counts by one's screen name is not an indicator of their DC intelligence or knowledge. :tongue:

Good, then you weren't serious about bringing back G bugles.

I don't know why you are talking to me about signatures though, mine is pretty benign as far as DCP signatures go and plenty of "old guys" have large signatures as well

And I would suggest you check the finals videos in '05 (Cadets), '07 (Bluecoats), and especially Phantom ('08).

I would also point out to you, concerning the Dublin show Tuesday night...it was a record attendance and I would bet that the great MAJORITY of folks attending were NOT attending their first drum corps show. They new what they were coming to see.

They knew it was a drumcorps show but were looking to be entertained. Every year I go hoping to get excited and yes 08 was amazing for phantom because they used a show back from the days when drum corps was amazing and crowds went crazy.

I'm glad this topic has sparked a lot of discussion...to be honest I really didn't think many would agree with me. I'm glad that many of you have observed the exact same thing as I.

The only thing I've heard from dissenting opinions is that I should take my ball and head to another game. Again, what kind of business sense does this make for DCI? Especially if there is a consensus that agree with me?

Just to be clear, I love the activity and what it does for kids. Its truly one of the greatest ways to spend your formative years. I really don't want to go away from the activity...the people are great (Bluecoats...see Debbie Pietrangelo, Sandy Poglisch, Marilyn Booth and Penny Pillo, Ted Swaldo, et. al.) and are like my family. I would like to see the activity produce a better product because, as we are finding out through this discussion, there definitely is something wrong. Best case scenario right now is that the activity is going through a transitional phase and they'll figure things out very soon.

The best way to prove my point in this discussion, is to point out that many who disagree have yet to say that the shows of 2010 are truly moving aesthetic experiences that excite them to the point of rabid passion. Instead, a lot of what I've read is, "Hey, you don't get it...it's passed you by....maybe you should go enjoy yourself elsewhere...."

When discussing this same point with a drum corps vet (from 20+ years ago) yesterday, I relayed a story to him from a very accomplished woodwind person that was at an event with me. He said, "Did they really just cheer because they played louder?" I said, "Yeah, its not as easy as you think...." My drum corps friend yesterday said, "You should hear the Chicago Symphony brass section play Wagner...they'll rip your head off, it's incredible." Aesthetics doesn't start or end with volume, it starts with musicality and my biggest beef in all this is that none of the corps really reach what I would call is a superior level of musicality anymore. Its a bizarre thing to say because the talent is SOOOO much better in 2010 than it ever has been. It goes back to design.

Hmmmmm, curious.

DW

If your consensus comes from DCPers agreeing with you, please know that DCP is a huge running joke amongst the members and staff of DCI drum corps.

If your consensus comes from DCPers agreeing with you, please know that DCP is a huge running joke amongst the members and staff of DCI drum corps.

We've been through this every year of DCP. To some, yes. To some, no.

Sheesh.

Mike

I'll agree that people who post and read DCP are a small percentage of the DC fan base.

But considering the backgrounds and current functions of many of them I find the "running joke" to be a indication of part of DCIs problems. IOW if someone disagrees with you, mock and insult them. It's so much easier than taking the effort to see if they might have a point.

Hell plenty of posters on this thread have said they have gone to shows this year. Nothing like comparing your customers to a "huge running joke". Then again I know which business have treated me with disrespect..... they're the ones I no longer spend my money at.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Well, as I stated in the manifesto, this was the first time I've ever left a drum corps show and felt like I didn't get my money's worth and don't think I'll spend $50 again to sit through that. I'm so disappointed. DCI has been a huge part of my life for the better part of 25 years! I'm sure as the shows get further and further away from fan friendliness they'll price themselves out. Its just not exciting anymore. I hate it because for the first time in lifetime the Bluecoats are challenging for the title!

DW

Yours is a legitimate opinion. Whatever choice you make based on that opinion I and others should respect. I know lots of people who stopped going to shows. For them, the activity lost its appeal in the 70s and 80s - what some now call the golden years. They walked away because they no longer felt that spark. That happens. And it's not always a statement about the current state of the activity. Sometimes, it's just life. What we love in our youth isn't necessarily what we love in our maturity. We change too.

HH

You weren't around before the mods limited signature length...Lee Rudnicki practically had "War and Peace"in HIS sig block! :tongue:

as are people who come on dcp to say such things, of course.

dcp is what you choose to make of it just like with anything else.

Ah, and there's the crux right there. We all have different opinions as to what we find entertaining. I can respect 1983 and 1984 for being legendary productions, even while I agree with Lance that I believe other Cadets shows to be more entertaining.

THIS ^

THIS ^

THIS ^

The OP can bring up however many anecdotal examples of "people around him" "shaking their heads" or saying "is it over?" that he wants, but I'm sure any number of people could come up with examples to the contrary.

In the beginning, almost everyone who went to a drum corps show loved drum corps and was a fan. Now, the activity has changed, so you have people that liked the older style better combined with people that like the newer style. This didn't exist "way back when" because there was no "older style". You can say you liked it better back then, but that doesn't mean you're right, or more justified in your opinion. Especially when the argument is based on "trust me, I saw these people act this way" and "I didn't feel good about it, but back then I used to".