Top-5 Most Legendary Shows are...

95 Scouts, 00 Cadets, 94 27th Lancers

"Most Legendary :) "

...with Scouts being the off the chain example of legendary-ness

Wow! I actually agree with the list (except the order) - amazing!!

Wow...95 Scouts not even in the honorable mentions category? :thumbdown:

Garfield 84--Most overrated show ever. Their argument is not convincing. Zingali had been accepted ever since 1979. Replace with 85. (Or 83 if you wish; the show that took huis artistry and WON with it.)

Madison 88--I love the whole show. Apparently the editorial opinion is that only half the show is good. How can that qualify as legendary? The circs surrounding the show (the blind draw and mystery scores) don't matter at all. Replace with 1975.

Star 93--yeah, deserved. You got me there. Although I loathe what everyone else has done with all the vertical body movement. Star didn't use it as a crutch.

SCV 89--Ehh. Well-coordinated, but the 1980 show is more legendary, IMO. For a lot of reasons.

Phantom 08--I like. But I like 81 and 82 better. No amps there, either. And they took the storytelling much more seriously, and it's ALL Spartacus, unlike 08.

The author (or editorial) seems to think these shows are legendary because audiences dug them, or the members really "felt" them. Not convincing.

Terrific article, well researched, great logic in defending or explaining the results. Your "honorable mention" list was equally as good.

Well done, sir.

Between the two lists we have a total of 17 shows, half of which are from the 80's...best of the 90's has two from the same corps :thumbdown: ...three from the 70's...13 of 17 used G horns...hmm...

Also, reading Hoppy's remarks on the '84 show...I saw that train wreck up close from the WW end zone as it came toward us; I couldn't believe the visual scores when I read the recaps later. I was surprised the author didn't say, "In addition to never before seen drill, GC also began the trend of falling marching members which continues to this day..."

Edited by SCV Biker

Obviously I'm biased, but I'm wondering how '73 SCV dosn't make legendary status. Just curious if anyone agrees or disagrees with me. It was the first year a corps did not do a Color Presention (that I know of). "Young Persons Guide to Drum Corps" with a two tempo ending stood the Drum Corps world on it's ear. Not to mention, it was the first time the rifle line did the the "Bottle Dance" SCVs legendary "move". Three things in one show that helped to move Drum Corps forward.

I can agree with most of those listed and I also how hard it must have been to pick the winners considering how many great and "Legendary" shows exist out there over, um, how many years? (Don't remind me ;-)

Edited by MsBusDriver

For those of you who ask why a show is not on either list, the answer is simple - Not enough of you answered the call. These lists are based on responses to Greg's request for people's opinions on what they consider the most legendary shows. I was one of the responders, although my choice didn't make either list.

agree the selection, except PR 08. The musicality of that show falls slightly short of the legendary top 5... I believe...