Quarterfinals Open Thread

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:d funny that is how I feel about Cavaliers show this year! I really love it!

Actually I loved Cavies show just as much, but I don't hate Cavies like I hate BD so I thought I should speak up and give them props since I'm usually so negative about BD.

Actually I loved Cavies show just as much, but I don't hate Cavies like I hate BD so I thought I should speak up and give them props since I'm usually so negative about BD.

I didn't "hate" any of the corps tonight!!

...but I am not so sure how I am feeling about you!!!

:lol:

He actually said kill rather than hurt.

Ah yes, thank you. But with certain state laws, couldn't really wear something that said I'll kill you around students.....

just back from Indy...a few little comments..nothing too groundbreaking...

best sounding snares of the day? Jersey Surf. Aren't those Mapex? Had a nice sound...not quite as wet as a TDR, but probably the nicest sound of the whole day...imo.

don't like Bluecoats ending...needs something..dunno what...

don't like Crown's ending...needs something..dunno what...

ditto for Cavies ending, but it's better than Bloo's or Crown's ending.

Didn't really care for Phantom's ending, as you couldn't really hear it for the applause (which, I suppose is a good thing for phantom)

BD is incredible....marching. Seems like they have a LOT of horn downtime. Maybe it's just more noticeable with their presentation.

Bloo seemed a tad off tonight...feet were still very dirty, especially during the ballad when they are marching backwards towards the open crescent on the right side of the field.

Everyone should be required to have a contrasting color stripe on both pant legs...

Those of you going to semi's and finals...take a screw type bottle cap with you if you plan on buying bottled water or pop...(it's Indiana...so it's not soda, it's pop) They won't let you keep the lid that comes with the bottle.

I won't ever go back to LOS unless i'm sitting in 140 or 240. I was in 240, row 9, seat 11 and my right armrest was the 50 yard line. Sound is pretty darn excellent right there, and not near as boomy as it is higher and farther off the 50...was 4 rows down from Rondinaro and DeLucia, actually...can't believe DeLucia remembered me from one camp at Star in the fall of '85...but then again, how many people show up to percussion camp with a broken arm?

Shows I really liked...

Jersey Surf

Spirit (except for the cheesy "ICON--ICON" electronics really need to die a messy, horrible death.

Madison

BK

Boston

Cadets

Crown

Bluecoats

Cavies

Biggest disappointments

BD-just don't like the music

SCV-ditto

Troopers-meh

Crossmen-double meh

Phantom-meh meh meh

Edited by skewerz

I have to say that the idea of Blue Devils doing this kind of show to limit exposure (Boy, did they fail if that was the goal!) because they have problems marching traditional drill (Uhh...) to be one of the funnier ones I've read on DCP.

It also shows a complete lack of understanding of what the ensemble visual caption consists of. Pretty forms is a very small part of it. You wouldn't need to pay a professional adjudicator if you just needed somebody to say something into a tape recorder every time Timmy the trumpet player isn't covered down or an arc goes squiggly. Anybody's grandma in the stands could do that.

I know lots of visual judges and I don't know any who would look at this year's Blue Devils show and feel that they didn't have adequate opportunities to judge the corps' performance. In fact the reason BD is killing the field in visual (4 tenths up in visual performance during championships week is a butt whipping. Normally the spread in that caption is no more than 2 tenths.) is that the way the show is designed creates so much exposure and so many "opportunities for achievement" and the corps is just executing the hell out of it.

This idea that the ensemble vis judge is just going "Oh crap, they don't do any formations, I can't judge them", turning off his tape recorder and writing down a 19.9 on the sheet is silly.

When Steve announced the BAC score was ready, the screen showed Blue Stars with their logo and a score of 88.1. It was up for several seconds and even the guys in the booth stumbled along with their comments.

The weared thing is that they mention blue knights and boston should be close which is total absurd. I had them over bs and scv did not see phantom. Crowd disapproved of Boston score and there was a good mix of several people from other drum corps. Boston down over a point from last show :lol:

These recaps are all over the place.