Madison Scouts 2011

Times have changed of coarse....their are many outlets now to do things that wasn't even dreamed of a number of years ago.

Your right...corps don't owe us a thing. But if I am "Rebuilding a brand" I am going to pull all the stops to do so. Ignoring the off season to generate momentum and interest is where most of the corps are missing the mark IMO.

In 2004..SCV had video updates of their progress that included show music...and let me tell ya....many could not wait until their season started. As a matter a fact.....in 2004 SCV was probably the crowd favorite on that fine Saturday night in August in Denver. It didn't hurt them at all..and may actually have helped them.

Not to go over the top...but

There are all kinds of things begging for peoples vacation time and money. If you engage/excite a drum corps fan in the off season with some show media....you just might sway them in to attending more shows (or a show) instead of doing something else.

I understand what you're saying about building momentum, excitement and all. But from my standpoint, by the 2nd or 3rd show in June, the word is going to get out across the country pretty fast if a Corps show is a dog or something really entertaining. By that time, it won't matter, imo what kind of preseason hype or lack of hype took place. Sometimes, a Corps preseason hype can actually become counterproductive once the Corps hits the field. The hype didn't quite rise to the level adverstised once the season unfolded. Long time Scouts fans here on DCP probably know what I'm talking about on this too, I'd imagine. Plus, I've never really seen that what happens on Finals Night in August in terms of placements or with fans love for a Corps show had anything at all to do with what info was given out... or withheld... in the preseason.

PS... I recall a Corps ( years ago... not Madison ) that was rumored to have a very small brass line, and that had lost lots of vets and other marchers in the off season. This Corps knew about these rumors ( might have even started them themselves... haha ). The Corps and members never breathed a word to squelch the rumors either. Anyway, in April there was a standstill competition inside a hockey rink. When it came time for this Corps to enter the indoor rink, they marched in single file in one door. They brought out 32 brass. The audience in the stands groaned a bit. The rumors were true. The Corps waited... and waited.... purposely. Then the door on the other side of the rink opened up on command, and out marched another 24 brass. Needless to say the crowd went nuts and stood up cheering wildly. The Corps now had the crowd in the palm of their hand. When it mattered. Just another way to look at things here, thats all.

Edited by BRASSO

At the beginning of the season we had a discussion about the release of pre-season media and had the following conclusions:

1. It takes a lot of time to put together quality videos. Last year we had an intern during camps. It was very time intensive to shoot video, produce it, approval process, etc. We found we were spending an inordinate amount of time putting these together. For an organization that primarily runs on volunteer services, it was becoming too taxing.

2. The facilities in which we rehearse were not conducive to quality results. Anybody who has been in our facility in Bloomington can attest to how small and loud it is. Most of the video that we shot last year had useless audio that required us to dub over. Even when we got into the Mellancamp pavilion, it too was also very loud and boomy.

3. There is licensing risk in publishing video with music. Yes, everybody does it....but that doesn't lessen the risk to the organization.

4. We just weren't happy with the quality of the performance clips. Our goal it to put the best show out on June 21, not January 21. What we don't want to worry about is putting together quality performances before that date. And let's be real, anytime a video/audio is released for a corps it goes through an extensive evaluation and critique in the DCP community.

5. Lastly is a philosophical debate about previewing a show before it is completed or readied for public consumption. I like to attend symphony performances, but I never see the CSO release rehearsal clips. We decided that the best choice for the Madison Scouts is to give our fans performances once they are ready and well-rehearsed.

We have an intern who will be shooting video starting in spring training. We do intend to have performance clips available once we are comfortable that the quality meets our expectations.

As for announcing our music selections...there's no real secret here. We've announced more than half of our show repertoire. The last piece has not fully cleared licensing. This piece in particular has many people credited for it's creation, so there are several contact points to getting it licensed. Should be done soon.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

Madison Scouts

Edited by thirdcoast

At the beginning of the season we had a discussion about the release of pre-season media and had the following conclusions:

1. It takes a lot of time to put together quality videos. Last year we had an intern during camps. It was very time intensive to shoot video, produce it, approval process, etc. We found we were spending an inordinate amount of time putting these together. For an organization that primarily runs on volunteer services, it was becoming too taxing.

2. The facilities in which we rehearse were not conducive to quality results. Anybody who has been in our facility in Bloomington can attest to how small and loud it is. Most of the video that we shot last year had useless audio that required us to dub over. Even when we got into the Mellancamp pavilion, it too was also very loud and boomy.

3. There is licensing risk in publishing video with music. Yes, everybody does it....but that doesn't lessen the risk to the organization.

4. We just weren't happy with the quality of the performance clips. Our goal it to put the best show out on June 21, not January 21. What we don't want to worry about is putting together quality performances before that date. And let's be real, anytime a video/audio is released for a corps it goes through an extensive evaluation and critique in the DCP community.

5. Lastly is a philosophical debate about previewing a show before it is completed or readied for public consumption. I like to attend symphony performances, but I never see the CSO release rehearsal clips. We decided that the best choice for the Madison Scouts is to give our fans performances once they are ready and well-rehearsed.

We have an intern who will be shooting video starting in spring training. We do intend to have performance clips available once we are comfortable that the quality meets our expectations.

As for announcing our music selections...there's no real secret here. We've announced more than half of our show repertoire. The last piece has not fully cleared licensing. This piece in particular has many people credited for it's creation, so there are several contact points to getting it licensed. Should be done soon.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

Madison Scouts

this is true. It's a shame that when a corps does us a favor by putting out early season recordings (when they don't need to), some vultures of dcp have the gull to criticize it. Some people are just never happy

• Like 1

I agree. The Director of the Madison Scouts has been on here before explaining some things, and it's been appreciated.. at least by this poster. We don't always see this from a lot of Corps. Besides, at one time, most fans had no idea what a Corps was playing until the fans showed up at the show. It just seems like some people feel now that they have this sense of entitlement... that they are owed something from a Corps. The fact is, these Corps don't owe us a thing right now. I'd love to see and hear some music and drill right now. But I know that we will in due time. In other month from now, nobody will care who came out with off season clips, and who didn't. We just need to be a little more patient right now it seems to me.

Welcome to the 21st Century! Entitlement is what it's all about, baby! tongue.gif

I agree with you, Brasso. Frankly, the corps don't need to tell the fans anything. It's their game, not ours.

Of course that's a harsh view that would alienate people, possibly from the activity. That would result in less money for the corps...

We just need to wait a few more weeks.

Welcome to the 21st Century! Entitlement is what it's all about, baby! tongue.gif

I agree with you, Brasso. Frankly, the corps don't need to tell the fans anything. It's their game, not ours.

Of course that's a harsh view that would alienate people, possibly from the activity. That would result in less money for the corps...

We just need to wait a few more weeks.

Edited by thirdcoast

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

Madison Scouts

I am sure I speak for many out here Chris when I say thank you for continuing to provide the DCP community details about the Madison Scouts as it relates to this seasons upcoming show and for also providing some insight in to the decisions the organization makes.

Cant wait to see another kick butt Madison corps...... :thumbup:

this is true. It's a shame that when a corps does us a favor by putting out early season recordings (when they don't need to), some vultures of dcp have the gull to criticize it. Some people are just never happy

I'll never forget a couple of the comments made about a hornline clip that was posted by a very well known corps a couple of seasons ago. There was one horn player who didn't release the note on time.....and one dcp poster wrote...."Wow...I hope they can fix that otherwise their not going to do well" This particular clip and comment happened in February.....

Some people are definitely vultures......unless it's August quality...they are not interested....

• Like 1

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

Madison Scouts

Please don't mistake our frustration about the lack of pre-season video as anything more than rabid fans wanting as much exposure as possible to the activity we love so dearly. I think I can safely say on behalf of all DCPer's that the season can't ever begin soon enough, and that your spoiling us last season left us wanting for more this season. Thanks again for continuing to update us trolls regularly.

Looking forward to seeing the Scouts in San Antonio!

Already bought tickets for Atlanta and I can hardly wait. Final changes should be in by then and this show should a good gauge for the 2011 season. I would like to see Scouts in Top 6 or higher this year, passing Boston, Blue Star, SCV and PR. If I wasn't so busy with school stuff this summer I'd be out on the road again with the corps. So here is the best to you Scouts of 2011 ... I am excited and expecting great things this summer. Last summer definately DID NOT disappoint and I'm sure the same will go for this year as well.

Bring It On Scouts!