G8

DC Guy

Drum corps is now Calvinball! Make up the rules as you go when you want to change something!

I touched the wicket! 27 points!

The score is now 3rd-Valve Slide to Hatchback

Ball on the 36.3686 yard line.

SERVE!

43 Man Squamish anyone??? <$1 to MAD Magazine>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/43-Man_Squamish

I defended your serve and gently stroked the fire hydrant with the beam from my laser phase shifter before turning up my flame thrower to 11. I got 42.3 points for that maneuver.

The score is now pumpkin pie to ballet slippers and the ball is now floating atop a fountain in downtown Detroit.

Due to passing through the Zone of Perpetual Skiddishness I gain control of the anti-gravity pocket wand, thus deflecting the ball towards the Emergency Wicket and gain 17 points. The penalty field is now RED and the score is Paradox to Cotton Gin.

Oh man. After all this "WTF Y DO U NEED AMPZ ANYWAY" this is very refreshing. I don't need synths either, but microphones are very important for pit players. As much as I love 90s drum corps, I loathe 90s/80s front ensemble sounds... it sounds brash and silly, out of physical necessity.

A matter of taste, I guess. 1980s and 1990s pits sounded just fine to most of the audience, I'd reckon. Since marching bands have occasionally used amplification going back to the 1980s and thus an option that someone could propose, I'd be curious to see some articles from the time arguing that drum corps pits sounded bad and therefore ought to be mic'd to sound right. One thing that seems generally agreed on is that the actual vote to include amplification was predicated on a lie: that allowing amplification would lead to smaller pits, thus saving corps money.

A matter of taste, I guess. 1980s and 1990s pits sounded just fine to most of the audience, I'd reckon. Since marching bands have occasionally used amplification going back to the 1980s and thus an option that someone could propose, I'd be curious to see some articles from the time arguing that drum corps pits sounded bad and therefore ought to be mic'd to sound right. One thing that seems generally agreed on is that the actual vote to include amplification was predicated on a lie: that allowing amplification would lead to smaller pits, thus saving corps money.

I doubt you'll find many of those. Since that was the state of the art at the time, most people probably didn't find it to be a problem. (The fact that most people don't complain doesn't mean that things can't be improved.)

Without a base of over 20 corps to work with, there is no way anyone could sustain the number of shows, fans and dollars the tour generates. A tour of 7 or 8 corps would require all those corps to be at every show; there would be far fewer shows overall; thus, less TEPs, less fans, less $$$.

The fewer remaining corps we have, the greater the cost they must meet to maintain the tour.

My point is that they have no incentive to maintain the current tour if the G8 make their shows work out. If my show income is $200k between fees and souvies for the current tour, and I can make $300k by performing far fewer shows, then forget the tour!

Due to passing through the Zone of Perpetual Skiddishness I gain control of the anti-gravity pocket wand, thus deflecting the ball towards the Emergency Wicket and gain 17 points. The penalty field is now RED and the score is Paradox to Cotton Gin.

This sounds sufficiently creative enough to become a Corps show theme for 2011.

" The Zone of Perpetual Skiddishness ".

I like. If done right, it has the capacity to make more fans uncomfortable and confused than anything the Blue Devils could cook up for us, and would have the potential capacity to send the DCI judges into an approving swoon of collective genuflection for it's spiritual like other worldly brilliance.

Edited by BRASSO

The usage alone of G-7 G-8 spells trouble... It is a faction inside of what was considered a membership or group. There is now a distinction, that directly relates to money, position (not that it hasn't been this way) and stature. It does not bode well for the outsiders,and one wonders how long "the outsiders" will continue to attempt to keep fielding top level corps. Why would a corps that struggled to make top twelve, then realize they were still getting the shaft continue to raise money, recruit, and put forth the effort to just be fodder for the other "in corps" Why bother ???

The usage alone of G-7 G-8 spells trouble... It is a faction inside of what was considered a membership or group. There is now a distinction, that directly relates to money, position (not that it hasn't been this way) and stature. It does not bode well for the outsiders,and one wonders how long "the outsiders" will continue to attempt to keep fielding top level corps. Why would a corps that struggled to make top twelve, then realize they were still getting the shaft continue to raise money, recruit, and put forth the effort to just be fodder for the other "in corps" Why bother ???

Others outside of the insular world of Drum Corps would find it bewildering that in DCI competition there is a sub group slotting system now recently created within the World Class Division based upon the PREVIOUS YEAR'S competitive ranking. It's like giving the Boston Celtics and the LA Lakers an edge in the 2011 by allowing them the opportunity of going first in the NBA Draft, ref selection, income revenue streams, accommodations in scheduling, promotion of team, etc because they played for the NBA Championship in 2010. I'd say if a stacked deck policy was implemented by the NBA such as this, that it would absolutely help keep the Boston Celtics and the LA Lakers on top of the NBA Championship heap forever.

Edited by BRASSO

You forgot, Judge Judy !!

Given a choice, I'd want Former Marine Corps Drill Instructor, Sgt. Lee Emery to judge.

The post show critique with a Corps staffer that felt Emery gave his Corps a low caption score and made the staffer sad about the score, and pleaded his case before Emery might be interesting to hear Emery's take. ( take off from the Geico commercial )

" That's interesting to hear ( Emery to staffer ).

You know what makes me " sad " ? YOU DO !!

Maybe you should chug on over to mamby pamby land and maybe we can find

some self confidence for you, you jackwagon !!

... tissue ? ( he asks, then throws the tissue box out of reach of the staffer ).... You crybaby !! "

Edited by BRASSO