Mark Petrash

I really wish you would post more often - stranger... :tongue:

not just me. RAMD has seen a pickup lately. i think the G7 stuff woke them up

are you accusing people who post on DCP of being sex offenders?
That is what I was wondering. Made it sound like many on here do the same thing. I do not think that is true.

Funny though, I remember, many years ago, someone who is considered one of the greatest drum corps minds of all time, a hall of famer, who was also one of the most blatant sexual harassers I have ever been around. Constantly making inappropriate comments to corps members. What he did would simply not be tolerated today.

I did not mean it in that way. I apologize for coming across as if I was making accusations. That was not my intent.

I guess I was meaning to express my concern as a parent of two daughters and almost every time I read a story of something like this happening, it almost always turns out it wasn't someone anyone thought would do something like that and in almost every case, it's a person who has done it multiple times who just happened to get caught when they got caught.

I probably shouldn't have said it the way I did, as I wasn't really thinking of people who post on DCP specifically - even though that's exactly how it reads. My sincere apologies. This is just a subject that sickens me to hear about and I do worry a bit more as a parent than I did when I heard of these things happening before my girls.

Edited by PepsiTwist

not just me. RAMD has seen a pickup lately. i think the G7 stuff woke them up

show me this place called ramd, i'll help where i can, 'i am woman! hear me roar'; if you need backup, let me know.

show me this place called ramd, i'll help where i can, 'i am woman! hear me roar'; if you need backup, let me know.

...hahaha...Jeff doesn't need backup, no way! But, if you're interested you need to google "newsgroups"...you can find out what you need to know there, even access them from there, too. But a newsreader is easiest...once you get that squared away, RAMD stands for; rec.arts.marching.drumcorps. You will be amazed. :tongue:

cg

I believe since he was convicted it will make a big impact on his involvement. We had someone last year who was arrested but got off due to entrapment that was involved in a top 13 corps but was not convicted due to an error by the police. It would be very hard for a group or the judging group to use someone with a conviction of that nature. Is it any worse than the other situation, probably not but it involves a conviction.

top5 ??

• Like 2

...hahaha...Jeff doesn't need backup, no way! But, if you're interested you need to google "newsgroups"...you can find out what you need to know there, even access them from there, too. But a newsreader is easiest...once you get that squared away, RAMD stands for; rec.arts.marching.drumcorps. You will be amazed. :tongue:

cg

Amazed huh :tongue: Haven't been then for a while cuz I got a new Internet provider and my EZPass <$1 to PA Turnpike> software with the newsgroups disappeared. Only thing to add is RAMD is unmoderated so you can see about anything and everything. :spitting:

Including some good folks....

Back on-topic: I will take for granted that DCI and it's member corps are smart enough to run background checks on anyone who will work around the youth. In PA it cost $20 (ca 2000) for my name to get run past the PA State Police and Sexual Predator lists to check for hits. Did this when my old church started running checks on youth teachers and volunteers. I was a member of council so we threw our names in the mix as a sign of good faith. Not sure about Nationwide lists for what MP did but the state would have it on record.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Just a friendly piece of advice: STAY AWAY FROM RAMD AT ALL COST! RAMD will do nothing but raise your blood pressure, frustrate you, make you cynical about Drum Corps, people, and life in general.

I agree that background checks will only pick up stuff in a person's past. Nonetheless it's a necessary step.

What about the present and future? Well, in my little town (titletown usa), there are schools that have Mandatory "virtues" training for each and every volunteer - chaperones, playground help, coaches, etc. etc. This training teaches (although most people don't need it) and reinforces the behaviors that are, and are not, appropriate with children. Until you complete this training, you are not allowed to volunteer. This is something DCI could impose.

Another example - USA Hockey now mandates that locker rooms SHALL be supervised by an adult at all times that kids are in the locker room. This is for the protection of the kids from each other (bullying, etc.). We have taken it a step further at our hockey club to mandate 2 adults at all times.....to protect the kids from adults...just in case. This also protects the hockey club.

So, there are measures that are more proactive in nature that can be taken, if an organization takes this problem seriously enough to have the will to do it.